[Strategy] Twisted Treeline: The New 3v3 Metagame

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

myrmidon

10-23-2009

what, i farm a minimum of 8k-10k gold every single TT game, there is SO MUCH potential for gold on this map its retarded.

the buff-giving npcs give you +75 gold, and their minions give you +35 gold EACH.

if you are able to quickly kill off a lane, run into jungle and kill the two buff giving minions, and then run back to your lane and kill the mobs you've just made to the tune of ~400-500 gold in a matter of 20-30 seconds.

Considering you can do this every 2-3 minutes the amount of gold you get goes up EXPONENTIALY.

I had a game that lasted 25 minutes and I had chalice, boots, bloodthirster, last whisper, infinitys edge, and a banshees veil.

Anyone who says you can't farm like a maniac on this map needs to learn to do it right, if you're going in for a gank try to kill at least 2-3 minions at the camps every single time. Never, ever, ever stop killing on this map.

Another thing to consider about constant killing is out-leveling, in that same game I was level 18 before the 20 minute mark while the other team had just reached 10-11, I had 3 aces in a single game. Both my teammates died every single gank attempt, unfortunately, but I always swept in to destroy the entire other team.

Another thing I'd like to point out on this map is SPELLS.

Spells change completely, teleport is useless and many spells become much more viable. Healing spells are... 'alright,' while spells like Exhaust and Fortify are (in my opinion) probably the two most important spells you can use now.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2009

I agree that Fortify is a must have on this map. At least one on your team.

Logo

10-23-2009

So if you have terrible opponents who don't actually apply pressure and watch the jungle you can farm up like mad? Yeah that's a real useful scenario.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2009

you don't need fortify. i like to use ignite/heal. there's a lot of early game gank near lizard king, so ignite/heal helps a lot.

i like to use nunu on this map.

Avloren

10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo View Post
So if you have terrible opponents who don't actually apply pressure and watch the jungle you can farm up like mad? Yeah that's a real useful scenario.
I think he's assuming a champion gank, which would give you the freedom to jungle and farm your lane; by the time your enemy gets rezzed you have a huge level/gold advantage and can gank him again, freeing you up for more easy jungle+lane farming, and so on. It's the same snowball effect that can occur in 5v5 when a champion gets fed, but it happens a LOT faster on the new map, first blood can literally win the game here (in the sense that it gives you a bigger advantage than in 5v5 to make the second kill a lot easier, which makes the third one easier, etc ..).

To be clearer, here's the situation I've seen play out several times on this map: you're solo laning against a single enemy, you manage to gank and kill him within the first 3 levels, which is so much easier with the safety of the towers so distant. Suddenly you're 5 when everyone else on the map is 2-3, and your remaining two enemies are seconds away from you, in fact you're much closer to them than they are to the safety of their tower - if they don't immediately turn and run like hell when you get first blood, they'll soon lose a 3v2 against higher level enemies. Now your entire team has a few levels and a bit of gold over the other team, and you have a good 30 seconds at least to wipe out the creeps in your lane, kill a few jungle spawns, and wipe out your lane again. By the time your enemies rez they have no chance, they're easy prey for a second round of ganks, which puts you even farther ahead for the third round of ganks .. first blood is often game over here.

Of course if that first kill at level 3 doesn't happen, if both teams manage to stay alive for the first 6 levels or so, things get more interesting - but an early mistake is almost impossible to recover from.

Rokk

10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avloren View Post
I think he's assuming a champion gank, which would give you the freedom to jungle and farm your lane; by the time your enemy gets rezzed you have a huge level/gold advantage and can gank him again, freeing you up for more easy jungle+lane farming, and so on. It's the same snowball effect that can occur in 5v5 when a champion gets fed, but it happens a LOT faster on the new map, first blood can literally win the game here (in the sense that it gives you a bigger advantage than in 5v5 to make the second kill a lot easier, which makes the third one easier, etc ..).

To be clearer, here's the situation I've seen play out several times on this map: you're solo laning against a single enemy, you manage to gank and kill him within the first 3 levels, which is so much easier with the safety of the towers so distant. Suddenly you're 5 when everyone else on the map is 2-3, and your remaining two enemies are seconds away from you, in fact you're much closer to them than they are to the safety of their tower - if they don't immediately turn and run like hell when you get first blood, they'll soon lose a 3v2 against higher level enemies. Now your entire team has a few levels and a bit of gold over the other team, and you have a good 30 seconds at least to wipe out the creeps in your lane, kill a few jungle spawns, and wipe out your lane again. By the time your enemies rez they have no chance, they're easy prey for a second round of ganks, which puts you even farther ahead for the third round of ganks .. first blood is often game over here.

Of course if that first kill at level 3 doesn't happen, if both teams manage to stay alive for the first 6 levels or so, things get more interesting - but an early mistake is almost impossible to recover from.
I agree. My, albeit limited, experience with TT has been all my games have been stomps, one way or the other. I'm not sure if this is due to the snowball effect or the fact that practice games are going to be unbalanced.

Despite its limitations, the map is very fast paced and very fun. I'm looking forward to whatever changes they bring to it and for it to be a part of matchmaking.

MuscleMemory

10-24-2009

I'm wondering how Annivia matches up on this map. Icewall seems like it could be devastating with all the short pathways. Maybe her ms is too slow or something else, but I'd like to know what you all think

Protoman

10-28-2009

So, now that the map has been out a week, what are some other effective strategies that you have seen in play?

Nmaster64

10-28-2009

This is one of the best guides/posts on the forums. Stellar job.

Dahras

10-28-2009

Having played TT a couple of times I'd submit that hybrid heroes (like malaphite dps/tank). Because gold is limited in a tight match of TT, the hybrids can play either role relatively effectively without handicapping themselves by not speciallizing, and if either component of their team dies, they can fill in.

What people have to realize about TT team composition is that you have much less insurance. If you only have one member to fill a certain role, if he/she dies, you cant fill that role with numbers or another hero of that type. For example, the Trynd / Zilean / Judicator build suggested earlier is very dependent on Trynd for killing power. Even though Zil and Judicator are good at protecting him, the team will have a hard time killing stuff (early game, i understand that Zil and Kayle have good dps endgame) if Trynd happens to die for any reason.

That is where hybrids come in. For example, if you have the Minotaur, you have a pusher and a support character as well as a stun. If your other two characters are an assasin and a true support character (like Soraka), if either die, you still have a stun and some healing, as well as great pushing abillities. If Alistar dies, you still have a stun and some healing, while a passable pushing abillity. You have just bought hybrid insurince.

12345678 ... 9