[Strategy] Twisted Treeline: The New 3v3 Metagame

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keyn

10-22-2009

I jumped around and read about 60% of it. An excellent guide - this should be required reading for any newbie about to try TT.

Logo

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumDJ View Post
Enjoyed your post and the new map so far. Something else I thought worth mentioning are the heroes who's value is lessened on this new map. Namely support characters. I have always enjoyed playing a Zilean when matched with a good team. But you must consider on a 3v3 map the value of such a character is severly limited. Every character must be capable of holding their own and pushing a lane and these are not the strong suit of support. Support characters are far more helpful when supporting 4 other teamates but lose nearly half their benifit when only supporting 2. This also applies to a lesser degree to the carry and nuke type characters who are only worthwhile towards the team push/ endgame after they have had a chance to farm extensivly. Having a team of high DPS characters that scale well thru-out the early part of a game are the way to win on this map.
I don't know about that. Zilean still has a lot to offer. Time Bomb is a good source of damage (especially when doubled up), his Slow/Speed up is great for avoiding ganks or setting up ganks, and ressing 1/3rd of your team is worth a lot more than 1/5th. The problem with Zilean would be more that he is slow to develop to his late game spell spamming.

Carries I agree with but support can still be really useful.

Nikorasu

10-22-2009

Thanks!

My two cents: Tryndamere rocks in this map.

His spin really shines because of the lane lenght issues you posted, and bloodlust is much more easily carried. On top of that, lack of need for teleport makes him able to run Cleanse and Smite for example, which make a great combo for him (or any other).

Kitsuziza

10-22-2009

Wow I'm almost surprised that the map is so well received. I don't really like the fact that the map is only 3v3. Ten people to me is just the norm for this type of game I think that every map should support 10 players. I don't know I played a couple of games on the new map and they all felt weird. With just three heroes it really narrows the strategies available to you if you want to win. It almost makes picking anything other than an assassination type hero pointless.

Tryndamere dominates this map with is ult and only three people on the other team if you don't build to stop him it's gg right there. I don't dislike the map or anything I just think they should add a lane to the top and make it playable for 10 people. unless they plan on splitting competitive play into 5v5 and 3v3. Which is there call i guess.

LonZealot

10-22-2009

Amazing guide! I played against you earlier today and you were owning me and my friends. :P

RyzeAgainst

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo View Post
I don't know about that. Zilean still has a lot to offer. Time Bomb is a good source of damage (especially when doubled up), his Slow/Speed up is great for avoiding ganks or setting up ganks, and ressing 1/3rd of your team is worth a lot more than 1/5th..

Carries I agree with but support can still be really useful.

This is exactly correct. Zilean, (like anyone with burst dps) is amazing because while in 5v5 he could only take down 1 person at a time with his mega-combo, keeping a melee slowed and straight up bursting a second target down is great win sauce.

Another thing to consider with support heroes is that it is a two sided coin. Though Soroka's global heal only globally restores 3 heroes instead of 5, her natural heal and mana restore means she is defending and supporting an entire 1/3rd of her team and not 1/5th. In addition, a 3 second silence means much much more, when it means it is effectively reducing your team to 2 heroes for the duration.

Likewise, Judicator, while being a somewhat solid choice in 5v5, just became absolutely amazing in 3v3.

RyzeAgainst

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuziza View Post
With just three heroes it really narrows the strategies available to you if you want to win. It almost makes picking anything other than an assassination type hero pointless.

Tryndamere dominates this map..

You aren't viewing the big picture. With only three heroes, you are correct in the fact that it changes the strategies available if you want to win. You would also be correct in saying that it "reduces some strategies from 5v5 that are no longer viable." However, an entire host of NEW strategies just became valid, and new possibilities will be continually formed.

Also, you are incorrect in your assumption that only assassination type heroes are valid. I did not see where you were going with this, as your very next statement contradicts yourself. Tryndamare does indeed dominate, but he is not an "assassination" type hero. Unless by assassination you meant "heroes that can kill other players well", but that is pretty much everyone, including Soroka.

Speaking of, Tryndamere can indeed be an insane competitor. I believe one of the top 3v3 matchups could in fact be Zilean, Judicator, Tryndamere /w guardian angel and DPS items.

However, both Zilean and Judicator are not assassination heroes either, yet in this instance could become one of the most feared matchups of the metagame.

Basically, just give it time and try your own strategies and see what combos work for you. You may be surprised how effective support can be when there are only 3 enemies to undo your work instead of 5.

Gimpb

10-22-2009

Nice assessment. Have only played it once but enjoyed it very much.

I couldn't help but giggle a bit while going throug the post, it sounded like a PR press release or something... sure can tell you're really into it.

Schn

10-22-2009

Going to be hard to balance for 3v3 as well as 5v5.

Labarge

10-22-2009

Wonderful post. Everything you said was right on the money regarding how this map plays.

Another minor point that I noticed while playing, is that nukers are more powerful in TT. The example that comes to mind is Veigar. Normally as Veigar it's quite easy to knock of a single opponent with a combination ult/dark matter/Q. In 5v5, pulling off this combo often nullified your usefulness until your cooldowns came back after the fight, or you got killed because the other team wasn't crazy enough to let you live. In 3v3 however, being able to insta-kill an enemy is usually enough to send the other team running, which depending on where it happened can often mean an ace for your team. Even if the remaining two decide to stay, they can't tear you down nearly as fast as the remaining 4 in 5v5 could.

In short: 3v3 turns the "glass" down and the "cannon" up for the glasscannon champs.

123456 ... 9