how is Corki, Ezreal, and Graves favored over Tristana, Caitlyn, Kogmaw, and Ashe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dpaladinx

11-04-2012

When it comes to ranged AD carries, most people would choose Ezreal, Corki, and Graves for ranked competitive play. However, I'm quite curious how these three are favored over long range AD carries like Tristana, Ashe, Caitlyn, and Kog'maw.

Sure, these AD carries have good spike damage burst poking potential. However, these AD carries are very difficult to play as (despite the fact that ranged AD carry is one of the easiest roles to play as). However, what many people don't realize is that these AD carries will definitely fall flat late game. If anyone asks me, having long range as an AD carry is more important than short range spike poking potential. In fact, in most teamfights, killing the attack damage carry is usually the highest priority target. As a player who prefers playing as ADC, it's better to poke them in a long range distance with your autoattack than trying to use your attack skills to inflict burst damage.

The reason I asked because I've played a normal draft mode game (realizing that the reason why I lost so many PvP games is because I was playing blind pick mode, which is completely random). A NIdalee player said that Graves is a hard counter to Tristana. I kinda proved her wrong by ending the game with 2 kills, 2 assists, and no deaths (although our turret is almost close to death, our Olaf happens to be a good jungler). I fail to see how that is possible considering the fact that Tristana will definitely pwn Graves in the long run. I'm guessing LoL players here prefer very short duration games for some reason.

Thus being said, playing normal draft mode gives me a better understanding what balanced competitive play is like.

barbeerian

11-04-2012

I'm no expert by any means but I think they're the holy trinity for the following combination of reasons:

-They all have top notch escape moves and high mobility in general.
-Solid early game pokes.
-Long range multi-target/AoE ULTs.
-Some way to increase their damage output above their item build (Graves 'E' steroid, EZ and Corki's passives).
-Some teamfight utility (Graves smokescreen, EZ's W buff,, Corki's armour debuff)

Other ADC's might not check all those boxes, but that obviously doesn't mean they're **** either, just slightly less well rounded.

Shangetsu

11-04-2012

The grave you played against was just bad, that's all.

I main grave and I've tried most Ad carry and I can assure you that grave is definitively first class material.
I don't have any memorie of losing to any tristana (and I played against a lot of them).

You see, range isn't everything and can be overcome by positioning yourself well. Grave is very capable late game as long as he's not totally outfeed.

Actually in the opposite, in today meta, tristana is one of the weakest adc. Of course skill is what matter most since there's no people that can play their caracter perfectly.

My Pee Pee Loud

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbeerian View Post
I'm no expert by any means but I think they're the holy trinity for the following combination of reasons:

-They all have top notch escape moves and high mobility in general.
-Solid early game pokes.
-Long range multi-target/AoE ULTs.
-Some way to increase their damage output above their item build (Graves 'E' steroid, EZ and Corki's passives).
-Some teamfight utility (Graves smokescreen, EZ's W buff,, Corki's armour debuff)

Other ADC's might not check all those boxes, but that obviously doesn't mean they're **** either, just slightly less well rounded.
This.

Their passives are totally awesome. Well beyond what other ADCs have. Corki's gives bonus true damage to every attack. Ezreal gets up to +50% attack speed; a free item just for doing what he does normally, cast spells. Graves gets +MR / Armor, a free durability item, just for using auto attacks.

Next, they all have very strong escapes and mobility. While Tristana also has Rocket Jump, this ability does not synergise with any of her kit besides her R. Which R scales off of AP anyways.

Competitive ADCs need to be able to leap forward to join good initiations, and also get out of Dodge City when the heat comes. Caitlyn has her E, but it is a lot harder to use than any of the Trinity's mobility skills. Ashe can Volley and try to run... But that just won't cut the mustard if the enemy team has more than 1 divey champion.

Those three bring it all to the table, without serious draw backs. Every one of their abilities is totally useful in a very aggressive sense. Cait's traps are highly reactive or passive. Trist's Q is like Graves' E without the dash, or EZ's passive that he gets for free. Ashe needs to be babysat by a hard CC champion like Alistar to keep her from getting locked down and murdered at the stat of a fight, long range or no. So many champions can close the gap with her, taking her damage out of a big fight. In this way, her Volley becomes a reactive ability, used to try and keep her alive.

Lethadind

11-04-2012

Also, above what everyone else has said, there is a difference between "duel capability" and "teamfight utility/capability." Kog'Maw will mop the floor with any other ADC if they're just sitting there randomly attacking each other, but he's incredibly easy to dive and destroy in a teamfight unless you have a "protect the Kog'Maw" team. Tristana has great duel capability, and a nice knockback/jump away to get away if things are going bad, but in a teamfight her jump is slow and clunky, her ult is "okay" for killing things, but it scales with AP, and her range is great, but good positioning and repositioning > range. Honestly though, there's probably a lot more hype given to the three than necessary. In a large tournament where thousands of dollars are on the line though, you want every miniscule advantage you can get, so the Trinity make the cut whereas the others - even if marginally worse - are left at the wayside.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

Tristana is a pretty close 4th. The problem with her is short range early game. It leads to inconsistent early games. She's got the escape move, but her passive increases her range with level, so she doesn't have great range till late game.

Kog'maw is up there too, but without an escape, he pretty much relies on the team protecting him. And playing him relies on being able to let your team protect you.

So if you build a Kog'maw team, your whole team is built around expecting the Kog'maw to be a competent player... so don't expect that too often in solo/duo queue.

Ashe, honestly, I simply think she's not all that great.

Caitlyn has seen tournament play and I see her occasionally. I know people who main her.

Vāmp

11-04-2012

Ezreals abilites do Damage one way or another, even his teleport throws off a shot.

Corkis is the same with Ezreal all abilites do more damage.

Graves is different most of his abilities are damage and his one ability that isnt is a attack speed buff.

Plus all 3 of these have awesome and worth while passives

Tristanas passive isnt that great and her abilities are hardly worth noting in team fights as most of her damage is going to come from how you build her

Ashe used to be the boss of ADC but now everyone tops her. She really only has 2 combat abilites and a toggle ability. Now sure her hawkshot can help spot potential ganks and what not but how is it going to help in a team fight? +4 gold for a kill is good for laning but it falls off when your roaming. Plus her passive isnt that great in laning cause you constantly last hitting so the crit doesnt build up

Same with Caitlyn she has 2 main dmg abilites and a trap. No one uses her E for actual combat anymore its more used as an escape. Her passive is great though.

I havent actually played Kogmaw but again its probably due to the number of abilites they have that can do damage

KiteMeGood

11-04-2012

Technically focus does build up in the sense you get an increased critical chance in case you last hitted too early. Sort of like an error compensation and getting an immediate critical off when you meet your opponent again.