Why Is Blind So Broken?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Madrox

10-21-2009

I was playing Teemo last game vs 5 physical DPS characters. Blinding Dart only worked vs 1 of them. What's the point of having skills like this if they aren't effective vs the champions you need them for most?

Are there any plans to fix passive abilities going through 100% blind this or is it not a concern?

reefermadne55

10-21-2009

yeah ive noticed this too and sometimes (not often) rammus taunt wont work.

Brackhar

Features Designer

10-21-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Because we calculate hit/damage/crit at the start of every attack, if you blind someone in the middle of the animation that attack will still go through because they could hit you when they began it. This was chosen as a network performance optimization among other things. Design has brought up changing this a few times, but it's a tricky problem to solve without having large performance implications.

AI Assimilator

10-21-2009

Also another thing worth mentioning is that blind doesnt stop them from trying to attack, so you can still see them attacking. It just makes it so their attacks (after the first one already being executed as mentioned) never hit or are set to do 0 damage.

Not stating the above is broken. Just stating that sometimes people might assume blind didnt work due to them seeing an enemy attack. When his actually not doing any damage and blind is working as intended.

Madrox

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Because we calculate hit/damage/crit at the start of every attack, if you blind someone in the middle of the animation that attack will still go through because they could hit you when they began it. This was chosen as a network performance optimization among other things. Design has brought up changing this a few times, but it's a tricky problem to solve without having large performance implications.
I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the response.

Lone Wolf 28

10-21-2009

It's not just the first hit, I play Teemo a lot and some times even if you blind a target in a 1v1 you still loose life every time the enemy hits you (and I've seen it against Warwick, noticing how he gained life after each hit).

EDIT: Unless abilities are not affected by blind...

Smolder

10-21-2009

I think Warwick's ult is considered a magic spell and not actually physical attacks, and that it why blind doesn't work on it.

Doctor Awesome

10-21-2009

In addition, Warwick gains life after each attack regardless of how much damage he did, or if he even hit (unless I'm terribly mistaken) because it's not actually lifesteal.

caution

10-21-2009

5 second blind is excessive.

Meta

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 28 View Post
EDIT: Unless abilities are not affected by blind...
No, they're not.