(Guide) Emotions: The Driving Force behind Player Performance+

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nhan Fiction

12-06-2012

XD

Nhan Fiction

12-11-2012

XD

Nhan Fiction

01-29-2013

Be happy.

Meott

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadothBloodreign View Post
It doesn't matter how I play, even if I play at all, I will lose. I wouldn't exactly call it an emotion, it's more like a state of existence or a fact of life.

I just lost another game, 3-30 or so, we were pushed to nexus before 20 minutes.

It's like I'm a dead weight that just drags down any game into oblivion. My "best" usually means that I have less than 7 deaths and if I'm lucky, an assist or two.

I used to queue with friends, but I'm so bad that they've stopped inviting me to play. I'll find one person, they'll drag me into a game (even though I tell them over and over, I can literally make a group crash just by showing up), see how bad I am, and never queue with me again. I don't really have a choice.

I'm not a leader or an outgoing person. I think making a clan or forming a group is beyond me.

The last group I played with said that I was blind and stupid and didn't think, maybe they are right.
Saw this and, while this was posted a while ago, maybe you'll check the thread again, I hope. I really don't like to see a person get down on himself like this.

First off Jadoth, you obviously are not stupid. From the language, vocabulary, and phrasing of what you wrote in this thread, it looks like you probably have writing proficiency of at least college level. So, you are reasonably intelligent. This means that if you are playing stupidly, there is a different sort of problem at work.

You need to focus on the solution to the problem, rather than persevering on the fact that there is a problem. In order to solve problems you have to believe in your ability to do so. I've given you one example of why you are not stupid. If you don't trust yourself to solve problems, your ability to do so literally suffers because of it. It's a dilemma we all face. You just have to trust yourself. You are a capable person.

To me it sounds like you have a problem with "quick thinking," which means paying attention to surroundings (the map, player positions, anything really), and being able to rapidly value various courses of action as the situation changes (should I move forward and harass? Should I retreat to avoid getting caught out? and such). When I was playing Starcraft: Broodwar I had a problem similar to this. It sounds like my symptoms of badness were similar to yours. I couldn't make plans on the fly, didn't have good reaction times, and generally couldn't pay attention to the "surroundings."

There can be a few reasons for this, but to me it sounds like you are not actively learning from mistakes. This would probably be a result of refusing to think. People start refusing to think when they start believing that they are wrong more often than right. This can be a general sort of refusal, or it can be about a specific problem or set of problems. For instance, some people find math difficult in grade school because teachers don't always explain the reasons for the equations given. These people then start believing that they are bad at math, and refuse to learn about it. This doesn't mean that they are actually bad at math, but that they weren't learning about math in the right way.

Thinking quickly is about enacting plans you already made. The way you make plans is simply by learning from experience. As a new player, you probably just don't have the experience to know a lot of plans. Additionally, because you got down on yourself for being inexperienced, you don't trust yourself to learn from your mistakes, which makes you play worse, and so on. This can become a vicious spiral. Just trust yourself. Don't believe you are a good player. You probably aren't yet. Believe that you have the potential to learn. That is what's important.

I said I was as bad at Starcraft: Broodwar as you say you are at LoL. Regaining the belief that I have the capability to learn was what helped me. Of note: this doesn't mean I'm actually good at LoL. Being good at a game is a function of time spent. Just because you trust yourself doesn't make you good overnight. It means you will improve.

And even then, you might not have the right kind of talent to get good at this game. If so, play to your strengths. As an internet stranger, I don't know what those are. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. Perhaps none of what I've said is actually relevant to your problem. I certainly don't know anything for sure. Even so, I think that trusting in your ability to learn is good advice for anyone in any situation. It's something that we're all capable of.

Nhan Fiction

07-10-2013

>^..^<

Christian Slater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2013

I am not sure if you had noticed but there is a part in your blog/guide that repeats itself.

The portion that says "all for one and one for all"

Nhan Fiction

09-08-2013

>^..^<

Nhan Fiction

12-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meott View Post
Saw this and, while this was posted a while ago, maybe you'll check the thread again, I hope. I really don't like to see a person get down on himself like this.

First off Jadoth, you obviously are not stupid. From the language, vocabulary, and phrasing of what you wrote in this thread, it looks like you probably have writing proficiency of at least college level. So, you are reasonably intelligent. This means that if you are playing stupidly, there is a different sort of problem at work.

You need to focus on the solution to the problem, rather than persevering on the fact that there is a problem. In order to solve problems you have to believe in your ability to do so. I've given you one example of why you are not stupid. If you don't trust yourself to solve problems, your ability to do so literally suffers because of it. It's a dilemma we all face. You just have to trust yourself. You are a capable person.

To me it sounds like you have a problem with "quick thinking," which means paying attention to surroundings (the map, player positions, anything really), and being able to rapidly value various courses of action as the situation changes (should I move forward and harass? Should I retreat to avoid getting caught out? and such). When I was playing Starcraft: Broodwar I had a problem similar to this. It sounds like my symptoms of badness were similar to yours. I couldn't make plans on the fly, didn't have good reaction times, and generally couldn't pay attention to the "surroundings."

There can be a few reasons for this, but to me it sounds like you are not actively learning from mistakes. This would probably be a result of refusing to think. People start refusing to think when they start believing that they are wrong more often than right. This can be a general sort of refusal, or it can be about a specific problem or set of problems. For instance, some people find math difficult in grade school because teachers don't always explain the reasons for the equations given. These people then start believing that they are bad at math, and refuse to learn about it. This doesn't mean that they are actually bad at math, but that they weren't learning about math in the right way.

Thinking quickly is about enacting plans you already made. The way you make plans is simply by learning from experience. As a new player, you probably just don't have the experience to know a lot of plans. Additionally, because you got down on yourself for being inexperienced, you don't trust yourself to learn from your mistakes, which makes you play worse, and so on. This can become a vicious spiral. Just trust yourself. Don't believe you are a good player. You probably aren't yet. Believe that you have the potential to learn. That is what's important.

I said I was as bad at Starcraft: Broodwar as you say you are at LoL. Regaining the belief that I have the capability to learn was what helped me. Of note: this doesn't mean I'm actually good at LoL. Being good at a game is a function of time spent. Just because you trust yourself doesn't make you good overnight. It means you will improve.

And even then, you might not have the right kind of talent to get good at this game. If so, play to your strengths. As an internet stranger, I don't know what those are. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. Perhaps none of what I've said is actually relevant to your problem. I certainly don't know anything for sure. Even so, I think that trusting in your ability to learn is good advice for anyone in any situation. It's something that we're all capable of.
Truth.

Nhan Fiction

02-09-2014

Bump.