One quick basic engine question...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nessin

08-05-2010

Probably a pointless post because I'm relatively sure of the answer, but you never know until you get final confirmation. Unfortunately I love the concept of the game style too much to not check back every now and then with the games in the category, but I suspect I'm still going to be disappointed.

Is the game still setup (much like the others and how it was when I checked out in beta) where the goal is to actually not fight and just hang around the rear for XP and intentionally ignore your allies (NPC) getting destroyed just to get the kill shot on an enemy?

Slogra

08-05-2010

Last-hitting is still important on enemy minions, yes. However, there are quite a few ways to take a much more active rule early on in the game.

1) Enemy champion harassment. Probably best done with a mage or a ranged character.

2) Jungling. Usually only 1 person can do it on each side, but basically you farm neutral creeps, get the blue and red buffs, and try to gank the lanes and kill enemy champions from an ambush.

3) Early ganking. Try using the river or jungle to sneak to other lanes to gank and kill enemy champions. Certain champions are better than others at this.

The game in general tends to speed up at higher levels of play. Keep playing until you get out of noob island and you face more active opponents and allies.

Howzit

08-05-2010

riot has made it clear they want the game to be more action oriented at all phases of the game. yes there is still last hitting and farming but that first blood bonus is a great motivation to get in and get that kill at level 2 or 3.

Galactic Pie

08-05-2010

@Howzit lol me and my buddy occasionally get first blood before minions spawn. Its beautiful. Veiger's stun + Shaco is beautiful against a squishy in the bush XD

Genuwine21

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2010

early game there is a bit to do... farm, force an early push, or gank. While last hitting is important, so is harassing opposing champions and forcing them to go back early or killing them to set up the first big push.

Johis

08-06-2010

Unless you are a melee / near-melee character laning against a ranged character, "just standing there in the rear" will basically ensure the enemies you are laning against get fed to holy bejesus. Even most melee heroes can harass baddy ranged players effectively. The issue is you get bonus gold for enemy champion *and* minion kills, and if another player is constantly hitting you, it becomes dangerous to get close enough to minions to get kills, thus stopping you from preventing the enemy champions from getting last hits and lots of bonus gold themselves. Unless you're playing a character with mad life steal or healing abilities, once you run out of potions, it becomes almost necessary to go back to the fountain to heal as nearly every character is super squishy early game. If you don't go back, you die, and that's even more money the enemy team (especially the player who killed you) earns. You just have to remember that a combination of three things win this game: team skill, team champion selections, and items. Let an enemy carry get too many last hits and you will get dominated by that carry later on.

More or less the goal of early- and mid-game LoL is to beat the snot out of the enemies you are laning with, stay alive (and in good health) yourself, and last hit minions. If you can get a hero kill, that's great, but it is not worth running into tower range or tanking creep waves. It makes me QQ a little every time I see a newbie Ezreal in a matched game run after a severely wounded enemy only to get two-shotted by a tower. If you aren't comfortable yet with how to properly go about laning, remember, there are practice games there that still earn good experience and IP. Don't be afraid to play them. Just don't play against bots. It doesn't hurt at all to lose practice games, but you'll never learn anything at all playing against bots. (They're just free IP basically.)