Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,856 36.26%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1,003 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 661 4.94%
4) Premade Matching 667 4.98%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,341 10.01%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 800 5.97%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 645 4.82%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 720 5.38%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 418 3.12%
10) Level Disparities 644 4.81%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,639 12.24%
Voters: 13394. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krebstar

04-03-2012

One change to fix all of the actual matchmaking issues: True Solo Queue.

The other issues like 1) don't seem like matchmaking so much as they seem like behavior-management. You could keep the options to multi-queue (1,2,3,4) and full-team queue (5), but introduce a true solo queue for those of us who play alone.

XziisT

04-03-2012

Glad to see Riot listening to their customers. I am sure that in these 50 pages there have been many detailed writings about a player's personal thoughts on what they want changed and what is trying to be implemented; however, it seems like I speak for a lot of players when I say..

The ten issues you brought up in your poll is not the problem. The true problem is not in matchmaking itself. The bigger problem is in-game. The bigger problem is the player that leaves his/her team to go away from his/her computer for the remainder/part of the game. Sure, the issues you have mentioned are troublesome, but I would much rather wait through matchmaking when someone is AFK only to start over rather than play a 4v5 matchup. Players on a daily basis aren't complaining about AFK players in champion select mode or free to play champions in ranked mode, they are asking you to figure out a new system for in-game AFK players (trolls, feeders, etc., play a part in here, too, but does not cause as much pain as AFKers). In all honesty, a new system to rid the game of AFKers would take quite some time to develop if it can even be developed at all. I think that players are more concerned with in-game AFK players rather than the rest of the issues you have mentioned. It would be interesting to get another poll on this point because I gaurantee you it will quadruple the number of people who voted in this poll.

Thumbs up if you agree.

SillyDodo

04-03-2012

How can you address the language barrier issue?! It is quite annoying, although I HAVE encountered less.

iMadeYouMadBro

04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamusss View Post
wow you didnt even posted the main problem...

#1 problem is people that queue dodge 100*time to 200elo, (they queue dodge 5second before the game start just to screw the maximum players) then pubstomp and disgust noobs, climb back to 1200elo, then queue dodge again to 200elo.
guys like this, end with completly irrealistic stats 1200win/150lose, almost never lose and make lose others players and deny their fun of the win.

every day in this forum i see people "look my stream 1700 real elo in the 300elo hell climbing back huehue"... just imagine the number of people doing that... game at 300-1200elo have 80%chance of queue dodger now and it's worse every day in 2010 there was barely 50% i would say. it need to be fixed.

queue dodge should also cost ip.
If there were a cost to queue dodging, I feel that there should be atleast 2 chances within a 24-hour period with the first cost costing 200ip and the second 400ip both with the 15 min wait penalty to prevent abuse.

Banuvan

04-03-2012

Here is my response to the questions for you along with some possible solutions. I'm not full of only salt and vinegar.

1. Easy fix Ė If somebody does not choose a champion in the lobby then they are removed from the queue and everybody that was in that game is put back into the queue again. You can go ever further with this by making the AFK person lose ELO as well as forcing the 15 minute dodge penalty on them. This will help reinforce the fact that they will not be tolerated ruining other peopleís games.

2. Personally duo queue should be taken out imo but with the stance that Riot has I have come to the fact that it will stay in regardless of how much it ruins games for people. Solution Ė Average their ELOís and add 100 to it. If this is already happening then so be it. If not then do it. Their communication should make them better.

3. Either remove ELO from normals or use Ranked ELO for normals. Seriously why hide this? It makes no sense at all.

4. Why isnít this already happening? If a duo queue can have a significant impact on a game against 5 solo queue people then why would you assume that a premade of 4 or 5 have an even larger advantage over 5 solo queue people? Silly thing to not have been implemented already.

5. This is unfixable really. To learn this game you have to play it. Unless you set a standard that is completely measureable you canít stop people who donít know how to play or REFUSE to learn how to play from playing and ruining ranked games.

6. Why hasnít this already been done? Fairly easy fix and people ruin games by playing champs that are free for the first time in ranked. This should be classified directly as trolling their team and not be allowed.

7. Same as #6

8. Take a tip from Call of Duty MW2 single player mode. They have a part at the beginning that helps you rate your skill at the basic mechanics of the game. This gives you an idea wether you should play on rookie, elite, expert etc. Also if it takes hundreds of games to find your true ELO then how are you going to tell people their ELO after 10 placement matches? You contradict yourself here with your own system and words.

9. I have no comment on this one as I solo queue but I can say I abhor duo queue players for my own personal reasons. Get rid of duo queue altogether to solve all duo queue problems in ranked.

10. I donít smurf so I will let others who do play below level 30 to comment on this one

11. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1954788 Ė there are a ton of ideas like this to measure individual performance. The problem with League of Legends using the ELO system to rate them is the fact that the ELO system was made for 1v1 chess play. It works great for 5v5 premades as the teams stay the same usually. The ranking is attached to the team not the player. The problem with only rating people on whether they win or lose is that there are way too many variables. Riot keeps track of these variables and you can see them at the end of every match and some of them can be seen in your ranked stats. All of these have effects on a game yet when it comes down to an individuals rating they mean nothing. This is the problem with solo queue right now. Your system to rate an individual is based on how the team does not the individual. My system isnít perfect. I know this. Iím just saying that in order to actually make the rating system work in solo queue you need to rate the individual not the team.

CaptainConnor

04-03-2012

Remove duo queue from ranked please

Soup44

04-03-2012

The moment someone randoms a champ in ranked they should be booted. Even if they come back two seconds later to see they have randomed they should still be kicked. Why should a team have to deal with someone that went afk during his pick.

Banuvan

04-03-2012

Bumping this thread because for some reason it is still getting lost in the cesspool of GD. Please sticky this or get somebody to sticky it Lyte.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-03-2012
31 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XziisT View Post
Glad to see Riot listening to their customers. I am sure that in these 50 pages there have been many detailed writings about a player's personal thoughts on what they want changed and what is trying to be implemented; however, it seems like I speak for a lot of players when I say..

The ten issues you brought up in your poll is not the problem. The true problem is not in matchmaking itself. The bigger problem is in-game. The bigger problem is the player that leaves his/her team to go away from his/her computer for the remainder/part of the game. Sure, the issues you have mentioned are troublesome, but I would much rather wait through matchmaking when someone is AFK only to start over rather than play a 4v5 matchup. Players on a daily basis aren't complaining about AFK players in champion select mode or free to play champions in ranked mode, they are asking you to figure out a new system for in-game AFK players (trolls, feeders, etc., play a part in here, too, but does not cause as much pain as AFKers). In all honesty, a new system to rid the game of AFKers would take quite some time to develop if it can even be developed at all. I think that players are more concerned with in-game AFK players rather than the rest of the issues you have mentioned. It would be interesting to get another poll on this point because I gaurantee you it will quadruple the number of people who voted in this poll.

Thumbs up if you agree.
Although I agree AFKing in-game is an issue, this is probably not the thread for it. I am separately working on better AFK detection and ways to combat it, but this thread needs to focus on matchmaking which is the process before the game begins.

Zettai Ryouiki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We are going to be changing this soon so that you cannot tank your Elo through queue dodging.
So i assume queue dodging has no more elo penalty?