Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,802 36.36%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 987 7.47%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 648 4.91%
4) Premade Matching 659 4.99%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,325 10.03%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 799 6.05%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 639 4.84%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 698 5.29%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 408 3.09%
10) Level Disparities 628 4.76%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,613 12.21%
Voters: 13206. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muttr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby
Players who queue up for a match and then AFK force players to wait through the timers until the lobby boots the AFK players out. In Ranked Games, Captains tend to see what the bans/picks are like and be able to react accordingly in the next lobby as the players will generally be the same.

2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked
When players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked, they generally have an advantage if their Elos are fairly close. However, when players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked and their Elos are far apart, they generally are at a disadvantage.

6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode
Related to the transition from Normal to Ranked Mode, some players feel that you should only be able to play Champions you own in Ranked Mode. The argument is that a lot of players who use Free to Play Champions are inexperienced with those champions, adding a lot of noise in the matchmaking system.

7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode
Some players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.

8) Provisional Matches in Ranked
When a player joins Ranked for the first time, the system starts them at 1200 Elo and begins their "placement matches." Unlucky strings of losses or lucky streaks of wins can propel a player into an Elo tier they do not belong in. Alternatively, players generally do not like playing with or against players in their placement matches and seeing they have only 1-9 wins.

9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked
Currently, it is possible to get two pairs of Duo-Queue Players per team in Ranked Mode, such that you have a team composed of Duo-Queue, Duo-Queue, and a Solo-Queue. Some data suggests that we should restrict the number of Duo-Queues per team to 1.
I did not vote simply because there's more than 1 issue.
So I simply highlighted 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9. These are all issues.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tenshinmon

Member

04-02-2012

*Evil smile*

Enough AFKing in champ select.

I want all 5 team members in game. Both when it begins and when it ends


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Olphul

Senior Member

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttr View Post
I did not vote simply because there's more than 1 issue.
So I simply highlighted 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9. These are all issues.
Pretty much this. Almost every option you've provided is an issue that needs attention.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teraxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
Where's the option for just not liking that duo queue gets you a SOLO ranking? I mean there is a bg difference, especially at mid-high Elos
This is it exactly, duo queueing should not be allowed for solo queue. Now if they wanted to mix things up and do a duo queue ladder for something like TT, it could be interesting.

I would be all for duo queue and triple queue ladders for TT and 4 and 5 man ladders in SR.

Sure the dynamic would be completely different with a 4v 4 SR, but it would be interesting and something I would play if I had 3 friends on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solmane

Senior Member

04-02-2012

you should have had multiple selection option. Most of these are very true


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vsin

Senior Member

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahWyatt View Post
answers in bold.
I disagree with your opinion on placement matches, because there are way too few placement matches given in a system that inherently will only properly place a handful of individuals per game. We're talking 10 matches that decide where you really get to start, and those 10 matches are heavily swayed by the actions of the other 9 players in any given game. If this were a 1v1 Elo system then it would be a pretty fair number, but in 5v5 random matchmaking, having placement rely on a mere 10 games is ridiculous.

Should Riot decide to keep placement matches, reduce the Elo inflation to about 20-25 per game, and expand the number of games to 20-30. Then placement would be more accurate, as it would take into account those other 9 players swinging the number.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cornwillis

Senior Member

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
4) Premade Matching
Currently, the matchmaking system tries to match Premade 5s with Premade 5s; however, we may consider prioritized matching for other Premade types. For example, prioritizing Premade 4s to match with Premade 4s, and finding a solo queue to fill out each team.
This is the one that hits home most for me.

When I play normal games, I find that I'm often set up with premade teams as I think my normal elo is quite high. Generally, that means a lower standard of teammates on my side (and the other side if they're also a premade) which I just find unfun. I don't enjoy fighting players that aren't on the same level as me (not to sound arrogant - this is what custom games are for!), nor feeling like I have to play well to carry a team of players that are communicating, but individually not that skilled.

I'd rather be consistently set up with players that are around my level than have my games be a rollercoaster of stronger and weaker players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SorsScriba

Senior Member

04-02-2012

1. this is the big one and will get a huge number of votes. as such I spread my vote to another area.

2. While this is important, I'm not sure it is big enough to be a main concern for me.

3. I think that this and 11 are about the same question it seems. Lopsided matches really are not fun on the losing side and, arguably, on the winning side.

4. I would prefer to keep the premades with premades as much as possible.

5. Not sure what you can do. Many people in low elo are there because they don't care enough to look up and study or understand that it is their own fault. There is a very few minority in low elo (like myself) that know it is their own fault and are there because of not being very good.

6. I have no problem with free champions in ranked mode as it makes it easier to arrange teams. Yes it sucks that some people who are not experienced with certain champs play them, but it is no worse than buying a champ and jumping right into to ranked without any playtime. maybe make it so that for the freebies to be available to a team, someone on the team has to have that champion (although anyone on that team can choose it).

7. Random champions really should not be allowed in solo/duo queue ranked. 'nuff said.

8. I'd rather start at the bottom and work my way up. That way newcomers and baddies (like myself) don't get mixed in with those crawling their way up. Yes it sucks for the high elo player starting at the beginning of a season or a smurf account but it still seems a better choice.

9. No idea about this one unless you mix it with the have two pairs of very high gap duo queues together, then it gets messy.

10. No opinion here

11. This is where I cast my vote. Again, winning or losing by a large margin does not feel fulfilling. I think alot of this has to do with the snowbally-ness of the game. momentum is good, coasting down hill after a few early game kills to the win/surrender is not. Get rid of the hopelessness that snowballing causes (without losing the advantage of momentum) and you will solve more than one problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tricolor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-02-2012

since i can only vote on 1....

i voted on 9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked ...its not about having 1 or 2 duos in the team....there should be none imo....

but i also think really annoying 6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode
never undertood why you were able to play champions that you dont have on ranked....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElCactus007

Senior Member

04-02-2012

My problem is more players who dont actually afk in champ select, but obviously dont look at whats going on, pick whatever champ they want (regardless if the role is already taken) and then go back to doing something else. I know this isnt something that would be easy to fix, but just felt like tossing it out there