Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,866 36.22%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1,005 7.48%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 665 4.95%
4) Premade Matching 669 4.98%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,345 10.01%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 802 5.97%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 646 4.81%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 723 5.38%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 420 3.13%
10) Level Disparities 649 4.83%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,643 12.23%
Voters: 13433. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neverlike

04-02-2012

You guys need to have a reward system in place in ranked if you want people to take ranked seriously.

Aristodemis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2012

Although "AFK in Lobby" & "Free to Play in Ranked" are big issues for me, the biggest issue is placement matches systematically placing players too high due to Elo Decay and Queue Dodge Penalty making the average ranked Elo lower than the average Elo upon completion of placement matches. So, #8 provisional matches. I believe provisional matches are good for the matchmaking system. I just think they are systematically placing players too high.

Going 6-4 in placement matches puts you in the top 20-25% of players. I believe this indicates that matchmaking is systematically placing new players too high. I believe that this a major contributing factor to the chaotic matchmaking in that Elo range. New players who get to 1250-1300 from their placement matches feel they are dragged down because they feel like since they reached a certain Elo that they deserve to stay there. The players who legitimately belong in that Elo feel like they are being dragged down because they are constantly matched with players who were placed too high from their placement matches.

Allen D Williams

04-02-2012

man you should work on them all but I have to say the free champs in ranked and number 8 when a player gets higher elo by luck but really sucks. sick of these people who win like 7 games and have a 1400 elo and brag like they so good

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2012

Where's the option for just not liking that duo queue gets you a SOLO ranking? I mean there is a bg difference, especially at mid-high Elos

ElijahWyatt

04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes
For a very small subset of highly skilled Ranked Players, their Ranked Elo is vastly higher than their Normal Elo. When these skilled Ranked Players play a Normal Game they generally play against opponents that are much lower in skill, resulting in lopsided matches.

Maybe have ranked elo effect normal elo. If someone is 1500(like me) and has played 2k ranked games, but only like a good 800 normal games or so, and never really normals, its a disparity to have to deal with bads, and bads to have to deal with me. Ranked elo should be able to place you in a better braket, if your 2k elo in ranked, you should be 2200+ in normals. so limit there elo to 1900+ Same as a 1.5k elo ranked should be 1700~1800+ in normals. Im not saying these are the correlations, but you can find an easy bench mark and set it.

5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
Currently, we do not do a great job of educating players on the transition from Normal to Ranked Modes. What would players like to see here? What should the expectations of Ranked be? For example, Ranked could be "Bring your best, every single game!"

Simple tutorial would be enough. Be good with 2 of each role, know what bans are used for, know what pick order means in relation to what you pick, and understanding the basic meta that there is in place, and following it to atleast some exent, if your teamates ask you to.

6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode
Related to the transition from Normal to Ranked Mode, some players feel that you should only be able to play Champions you own in Ranked Mode. The argument is that a lot of players who use Free to Play Champions are inexperienced with those champions, adding a lot of noise in the matchmaking system.

This is kind of dumb, but doesn't REALLY effect me, but in reality, a solution would be "You have to have atleast 10 games played with this champion before you may use it in ranked". That simple rule would solve this problem, and many more people face at low elos. I don't really get why this isn't in place already.

7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode
Some players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.

This should be removed completely. Randoming is the deffinition of trying to not do your best, or play at your highest level. It is the deffinition of NOT playing competively. It is an insult that it exists.

B]8) Provisional Matches in Ranked[/B]
When a player joins Ranked for the first time, the system starts them at 1200 Elo and begins their "placement matches." Unlucky strings of losses or lucky streaks of wins can propel a player into an Elo tier they do not belong in. Alternatively, players generally do not like playing with or against players in their placement matches and seeing they have only 1-9 wins.

This isn't really the problem. The problem is starting everyone at 1200. Provisional matches are indeed needed, so there is no way to fairly remove it, but starting people off at 1200, (where the benchmark of top 25~30% is roughly at, when they have no previous experience in ranked matches, is rediculous. Why would you start someone that high? especially a newby to the system.

11) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?

Close matches generally have closer overall gold values, where as lopsided matches, generally have huge marjins of difference in overall gold values. You could measure the difference in gold values from the teams to determine how lopsided the match was. This should only be measured at like say, 20 minite mark, to prevent abuse cases.
answers in bold.

Arisonius

04-02-2012

It would appear we have an early leader, but I think you would already know that, Lyte. I think the AFK and Random go hand in hand. If someone's afk during champion select, boot them and remake. Don't let that game go on.

Sanman

04-02-2012

Hey Lyte,

My biggest problem with matchmaking actually isn't listed in the poll at all. I feel queue dodging in normals and in ranked is completely obscene. On a normal night my mates and I usually sit through 10-20 minutes of queues just to play a match because there is no penalty for dodging (I wouldn't call a five or fifteen minute wait a penalty). Honestly I'm not sure why one infraction of dodging warrants only five minutes of waiting. Generally a queue dodge results in 9 people wasting five minutes, give or take a few minutes, no? Why can't the dodger wait 9 times the amount of time he sat in queue for before dodging?

That way people seriously feel the burn of "I just wasted 9xX amount of time."

I've even gone so far as writing an article about it the other week for the website I work for.

SomaLOL

04-02-2012

Top 3 in order IMO

AFKs in Champion Select Lobby
Random Champions in Ranked Mode
Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode

Teraxe

04-02-2012

The single biggest problem with solo queue ranked, is duo queue, the second biggest problem cannot be fixed without removing solo queue ranked.

limbrok

04-02-2012

5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
I think this would be a great feature to work on, but I don't have any discussion to add or suggestions at this time. Just pointing out I think this is one thing that should be prioritized, especially since some of the other categories kind of reflect this one (such as no random champions, etc.).

7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode
I have never seen this, but I don't understand the need for Random in Ranked anyway. In a game designed for optimal team compositions, why would it be optimal to random?

8) Provisional Matches in Ranked
This is the most important for me. As a player with several hundred games in Ranked, it is frustrating to play with or against teams that have 2 or more players who are still in their placement matches and a lot of times the other time has one or no players in their placement matches. I understand that based on the skill they've demonstrated that this is mathematically appropriate for some of them, but a lot of times this is not the case and the teams with fewer experienced players ends up losing, especially when there are multiple based on the system's matchmaking preferences.

9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked
I see this happen sometimes. Not too worried, but I think restricting the amount of duo queues to 1 would be best for fairness.

10) Level Disparities
This has a lot of the same aspects with #8. No matter how mathematically skilled someone may be, sometimes experience is more prevalant especially when one or both teams seem to be favored with players with more wins.