Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4884 36.23%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1010 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 670 4.97%
4) Premade Matching 675 5.01%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1348 10%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 802 5.95%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 647 4.8%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 724 5.37%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 423 3.14%
10) Level Disparities 652 4.84%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1645 12.2%
Voters 13482 .

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

isobold

09-12-2012

Quote:
Goumindong:
Doesn't work that way. If you "lose 160 ELO" meaning you're 160 below your actual ELO, your next games are easier than if you hadn't.

I'm aware of that. I was rather pointing out that even the worst case isn't THAT bad.

Quote:
Goumindong:
In order for you to not converge to a number close to your ELO you have to consistently be effected in that manner in a way that your ELO does not correct itself before you're effected again.

One could actually simply say, there is a troll every game, but than, as you have already demonstrated, we aren't at 0,011% anymore, but at a percentage that small, I won't bother writing the real number and instead just say zero

rivanor

09-12-2012

Quote:
Lyte:

However, the odds of players making new Level 30 accounts, going premade 3-5s to carry up to excessive high Normal Elo to start at a high seed in Ranked is actually pretty high.

There will always be people trying to game any system you have in place.

EFG

09-12-2012

Quote:
hakdong:
I was thinking you guys should change the surrender timer from 20 to 10, it would make so much sense.

For games where someone never connects it would make sense. It wouldn't be the best solution but it would somewhat ease the pain.

I would love to see low priority matchmaking for people with a high percentage of leaving after a few matches.

Nyutrig

09-13-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
I lead teams of people that include mathematicians and statisticians who are experts in machine learning and predictive modeling. Team PB&J also has a new analyst starting that got his Masters in Bioinformatics and used to do cancer research.

I'm well aware of the common cognitive biases you mentioned which is why Team PB&J approaches problems very differently from traditional development teams. We have a hypothesis (null hypothesis and all) and use data to test the hypotheses repeatedly. Many times, we've had the null hypothesis come out victorious and many times we've had results that surprise us and counter intuition.

If you wonder why many players have the same complaints that may or may not be valid problems with the system... you may want to review some other cognitive biases as well

MY MISTAKE, the word i was meaning to type was CONFIRMATION bias. also search motivated reasoning. i think you underestimate the amount of noise that takes place between 1100 and 1300 elo. also, get off your high horse, youre like 21 and have much to learn.

InVaSiOnArY

09-13-2012

My biggest problem is getting on a team full with people who have like 20 games played total when I have over 1000 and having to totally change my play because they just wont know the basics yet.

An example is one game our whole team walked by dragon like 3 times before we took it after having aced the other team. I would have just soloed it but at the time I was low and was trying to get one of the full health members to tank it. I look after the match to see that almost everyone on my team had just started ranked.

Mayobe

09-13-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
2) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
Currently, we do not do a great job of educating players on the transition from Normal to Ranked Modes. What would players like to see here? What should the expectations of Ranked be? For example, Ranked could be "Bring your best, every single game!"

I think this one would be super-easy to solve. The first time a champ attempts to queue for a ranked match a window should pop up that says. "Do you like nerd-rage? Y/N".

If they click yes then proceed normally. Otherwise put them back in normals.

MeyeA

09-13-2012

Dear Lyte,

I am, statistically, a top ranked player in ranked solo queue (current elo 2200~).
I enjoy playing with friends who are not quite as good as I am, but I have noticed a disturbing phenomenon when I queue up for normal game modes with them.

I have noticed that in an attempt to create a balanced game, the average skill level of the enemy team is significantly higher than my teammates, but significantly lower than mine. This creates a situation where-

1. My teammates, first of all, are usually embarrassed as they tend to feed as a result.
2. The enemy(s) who happen to be in my proximity in-game have the same embarrassing fate bestowed upon them.

The result is the same even if I win or lose though, which is that my teammates AND the select enemies who were in constant proximity of me have a horrible experience. To remedy this problem (alebit, only the first part of it), I've taken to playing on a smurf account when with my friends so that at least my friends will have fun in these games.

I wanted to know if you found this to be significant a problem at all (I understand that, statistically, this situation is probably not a large percentage of total games), and if you did acknowledge it as a problem if there was anything in the works to remedy it.

PressF1

09-13-2012

For comparing how close a game was, I think the most accurate way to determine it would be total kills and assists (assists shows how much a team worked together, and in general a team working together will do better than one that isn't), objectives taken (including blue and red buff, dragon, baron, towers, and inhibitors) and perhaps game length. In general, close games don't end at 20 minutes, and complete stomps don't take 45.

I feel that this is the best way to accurately determine how close a game was, because for example I had a game earlier where I took around 4 blue buffs in a row from the enemies, which gave my mid a huge advantage, which then snowballed into dragons which got the team grouped to for dragon followed by taking towers and getting more assists, and resulted in a lopsided game. In close games, you will see that generally both teams get their own buffs, dragons are fairly split or traded for towers, and gold is relatively close for the rest of the game.

Another way to do it (which would probably be easier) is just track how much gold each team has at every minute mark past the first. Gold shows which team is getting kills, zoning the enemy lane to get more cs, and taking objectives, and when a team has a large gold lead (probably determined by a %) it could be considered a stomp, because when one team has 5 players who each have 1 big item more than the other team, it's not really a skill game anymore, it's just numbers. When your team has more health and defense stats, does more damage, etc. you win fights even if your play is sloppy.

PressF1

09-13-2012

Quote:
Ellie Beee:
Dear Lyte,

I am, statistically, a top ranked player in ranked solo queue (current elo 2200~).
I enjoy playing with friends who are not quite as good as I am, but I have noticed a disturbing phenomenon when I queue up for normal game modes with them.

I have noticed that in an attempt to create a balanced game, the average skill level of the enemy team is significantly higher than my teammates, but significantly lower than mine. This creates a situation where-

1. My teammates, first of all, are usually embarrassed as they tend to feed as a result.
2. The enemy(s) who happen to be in my proximity in-game have the same embarrassing fate bestowed upon them.

The result is the same even if I win or lose though, which is that my teammates AND the select enemies who were in constant proximity of me have a horrible experience. To remedy this problem (alebit, only the first part of it), I've taken to playing on a smurf account when with my friends so that at least my friends will have fun in these games.

I wanted to know if you found this to be significant a problem at all (I understand that, statistically, this situation is probably not a large percentage of total games), and if you did acknowledge it as a problem if there was anything in the works to remedy it.

I actually think this is an important issue. While your skill difference is probably more extreme than most, I am about a 1400 elo player and many of my friends are around 1000 elo, and that still provides a large skill gap. It either results in me playing something I normally play and stomping or me playing weak champs/roles for me, and often results in my friends having the same issues you mentioned.

Cytus

Recruiter

09-13-2012

Just reminding you your matchmaking system is still beyond broken, people that aren't even level 30 still get paired up with level 30's with 900+ wins. Do you guys even care anymore?