Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4884 36.23%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1010 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 670 4.97%
4) Premade Matching 675 5.01%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1348 10%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 802 5.95%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 647 4.8%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 724 5.37%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 423 3.14%
10) Level Disparities 652 4.84%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1645 12.2%
Voters 13482 .

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Soraka

07-16-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
Yes and it uses the information to adjust Elo gains/losses which is why sometimes you might see -10 and sometimes -13.

So matchmaker puts me in games it knows I will lose...

So I'm not crazy in thinking that matchmaker hates me, or that it actively prevents me from getting good teams and forces me to lose elo.

Mirror

07-16-2012

I hate watching Rioters get trolled. It's like watching a rabbit locked in a room with a python, or something.

allie squared

07-16-2012

3) Intentional Queue Dodging in Ranked to lower their Elo to stomp low Elo players [6/13/2012]
This has been changed. Players now receive a 30 minute then 1 hour penalty for queue dodging in Ranked Mode. This time suspension locks you out of all queues.

I would like to point out that this is no big deal if you have more then 1 level 30 account. This may be why there are still so many dodges.

xRAWKAx

07-16-2012

Quote:
Aliothale:

If players are required to have 16 champions in order to play ranked. Why not just make it even more fair by requiring at least "XX" amount of WINS with EACH of those champions in SR PVP Normal queue.. Draft or Blind.

The only reason players are required to have 16 champs is so they can have at least one champion to play with if 6 of their champs are banned and 9 ppl choose the other characters they own. It has nothing to do with any of the other things you mention.

Zalted

07-16-2012

Personally, I just think that you should have to have a normal game quota before you go into ranked.

BelligerentGnu

07-16-2012

Out of curiousity Lyte, how many people are on your team? Have we met any of them on the forums?

Ymris

07-16-2012

Lyte, out of curiosity, which of these do you feel contributes the most/least to toxic behavior in games?

-People who genuinely fail to understand that their behavior is inappropriate. (i.e. "this is how a competitive gaming community behaves, man up or get out&quot

-People who have come to assume that because "everyone else" does it it must be OK (i.e. "there is always a person raging and doing x/y/z in my games, they don't seem to go away, so that must be fine to do)

-People who know that their behavior is out of line, but figure that they can get away with it/want to see how far they can push the envelope.

-Some other group/s of toxic players.

isobold

07-16-2012

Quote:
Just me Soraka:
So... you're saying the matchmaker DOES know if I'm likely to win or lose a game?

No, but it calculated your odds of winning based on your assumed Elo. So it might have assumed your odds of winning to be 45%. In that case it will make you lose less Elo if you lose and make you win LOTS of Elo if you win, simply because MM afterwards thinks: "Hey, I was right, so nothing needs to be changed big-time" or "Man, I was so wrong about this one, I REALLY need to shuffle around the ladder" ...

Brodhi

07-16-2012

Quote:
Just me Soraka:
So matchmaker puts me in games it knows I will lose...

So I'm not crazy in thinking that matchmaker hates me, or that it actively prevents me from getting good teams and forces me to lose elo.

The Matchmaking system queues up 10 players of similar ELO, and places "higher ELO" players on Purple side to make up for the fact that Purple side is at a disadvantage.

It then calculates both team's ELO, what champions they are using (and their W/L ratio), and other such metrics and determines what your ELO gain/loss will be. If the Matchmaker system "thinks" the game will be a lopsided win, you only gain/lose maybe 7-9 ELO (even if the game itself was a very, very close match). Alternatively if Matchmaker thinks the game is going to be close, you could end up gaining/losing 10-13 ELO, even if the game was a lopsided stomp.

I feel it is a broken system in its entirety, and ELO gain/loss should be a set amount OR should be based on the AVERAGE ELO of the enemy team (see: WoW arena system). Duo-Queues cause unfair metrics in the Matchmaking system for sure.

Ewendor

07-16-2012

Quote:
Brodhi:
The Matchmaking system queues up 10 players of similar ELO, and places "higher ELO" players on Purple side to make up for the fact that Purple side is at a disadvantage.

It then calculates both team's ELO, what champions they are using (and their W/L ratio), and other such metrics and determines what your ELO gain/loss will be. If the Matchmaker system "thinks" the game will be a lopsided win, you only gain/lose maybe 7-9 ELO (even if the game itself was a very, very close match). Alternatively if Matchmaker thinks the game is going to be close, you could end up gaining/losing 10-13 ELO, even if the game was a lopsided stomp.

I feel it is a broken system in its entirety, and ELO gain/loss should be a set amount OR should be based on the AVERAGE ELO of the enemy team (see: WoW arena system). Duo-Queues cause unfair metrics in the Matchmaking system for sure.

I was not aware that picks affected the elo gain and loss, where did you hear/see/read that?