Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,856 36.26%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1,003 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 661 4.94%
4) Premade Matching 667 4.98%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,341 10.01%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 800 5.97%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 645 4.82%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 720 5.38%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 418 3.12%
10) Level Disparities 644 4.81%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,639 12.24%
Voters: 13394. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

04-02-2012
1 of 362 Riot Posts

Recently, we collected a lot of community feedback on matchmaking.
[Thread] http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1827767

I have isolated down a list of issues with matchmaking, and I would love to discuss these with the community as we drive towards some meaningful solutions. Please vote in the poll and join in the discussion!

DISCLAIMER
These are issues I have identified from dialogue with the community. Fixing many of these issues will take some time! I will update the discussion as we develop solutions and have better ETAs.

--- Completed ---

1) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode [5/22/2012]
Yegg explains this change here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post24300123

2) Pick Order Bug in Normal Draft Mode [5/22/2012]
This bug was fixed. Players now have a random chance to be Team Captain in Normal Draft Mode.

3) Intentional Queue Dodging in Ranked to lower their Elo to stomp low Elo players [6/13/2012]
This has been changed. Players now receive a 30 minute then 1 hour penalty for queue dodging in Ranked Mode. This time suspension locks you out of all queues.

4) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby [7/19/2012]
Players who queue up for a match and then AFK force players to wait through the timers until the lobby boots the AFK players out. Alternatively, some players AFK and get assigned a Random Champion, which is also a negative experience for many players. In Ranked Games, Captains tend to see what the bans/picks are like and be able to react accordingly in the next lobby as the players will generally be the same.

5) Premade Matching [7/19/2012]
Currently, the matchmaking system tries to match Premade 5s with Premade 5s; however, we may consider prioritized matching for other Premade types. For example, prioritizing Premade 4s to match with Premade 4s, and finding a solo queue to fill out each team.

6) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked [7/19/2012]
Currently, it is possible to get two pairs of Duo-Queue Players per team in Ranked Mode, such that you have a team composed of Duo-Queue, Duo-Queue, and a Solo-Queue. Some data suggests that we should restrict the number of Duo-Queues per team to 1.

7) Level Disparities [7/19/2012]
Some players feel that as a low level, they should never be matched against Level 30s because they feel the match is unfair due to Level 30 rune/mastery advantages. Although these players are highly skilled low levels, they would prefer a different solution than facing an opponent with simply 'stronger stats.'

--- In Progress ---

1) Random Champions in Ranked Mode [6/13/2012]
Some players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.

2) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes [7/10/2012]
For a very small subset of highly skilled Ranked Players, their Ranked Elo is vastly higher than their Normal Elo. When these skilled Ranked Players play a Normal Game they generally play against opponents that are much lower in skill, resulting in lopsided matches.

--- List of Issues ---

[NEW] Extra noise in the ~1200 Elo Bracket
Because new Ranked players start at 1200, there is slightly more noise for the players who actually are 1200 Elo after ~200-300 games.

1) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked
When players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked, they generally have an advantage if their Elos are fairly close. However, when players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked and their Elos are far apart, they generally are at a disadvantage.

2) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
Currently, we do not do a great job of educating players on the transition from Normal to Ranked Modes. What would players like to see here? What should the expectations of Ranked be? For example, Ranked could be "Bring your best, every single game!"

3) Provisional Matches in Ranked
When a player joins Ranked for the first time, the system starts them at 1200 Elo and begins their "placement matches." Unlucky strings of losses or lucky streaks of wins can propel a player into an Elo tier they do not belong in. Alternatively, players generally do not like playing with or against players in their placement matches and seeing they have only 1-9 wins.

4) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?

JohnnyW

04-02-2012

There are way too many trolls in platinum level play.

Magus Xerath

04-02-2012

Number 2 is seriously driving me nuts.

Thanks alot!

Quote:
1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby
Players who queue up for a match and then AFK force players to wait through the timers until the lobby boots the AFK players out. In Ranked Games, Captains tend to see what the bans/picks are like and be able to react accordingly in the next lobby as the players will generally be the same.
A possible solution to this is to do what (DUN DUN DUN) Dota 2 is doing and require player input both at joining the queue and in joining the game itself.

Quote:
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked
When players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked, they generally have an advantage if their Elos are fairly close. However, when players play as a Duo-Queue in Ranked and their Elos are far apart, they generally are at a disadvantage.
Quote:
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes
For a very small subset of highly skilled Ranked Players, their Ranked Elo is vastly higher than their Normal Elo. When these skilled Ranked Players play a Normal Game they generally play against opponents that are much lower in skill, resulting in lopsided matches.
I saw Wingsofdeathx when I was level 27. This is certainly a problem.

Quote:
4) Premade Matching
Currently, the matchmaking system tries to match Premade 5s with Premade 5s; however, we may consider prioritized matching for other Premade types. For example, prioritizing Premade 4s to match with Premade 4s, and finding a solo queue to fill out each team.
4 person premades are hell for the one.
I have never had a positive experience in one.

Quote:
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode
Currently, we do not do a great job of educating players on the transition from Normal to Ranked Modes. What would players like to see here? What should the expectations of Ranked be? For example, Ranked could be "Bring your best, every single game!"
Considering the impact streaming has had on the game, why don't you actually place the featured streamer of the week inside the game interface for players to watch? This would expose players of all levels to some of the intricacies of high level play.
Another thing that would be great is if you made a series of extra tutorials on more important things such as last hitting, dragon control, and warding.

I must offer my opinion, however, that ranked isn't really that different from normal play.

Quote:
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode
Related to the transition from Normal to Ranked Mode, some players feel that you should only be able to play Champions you own in Ranked Mode. The argument is that a lot of players who use Free to Play Champions are inexperienced with those champions, adding a lot of noise in the matchmaking system.
When Nocturne was free two weeks back, I played him and won four straight games with him. During the free week I had a 63% win rate, among my highest, and bought him at the end of the week.

This is silly.

Quote:
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode
Some players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.
What purpose does being able to random a champion in ranked actually serve besides trolling?

Quote:
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked
When a player joins Ranked for the first time, the system starts them at 1200 Elo and begins their "placement matches." Unlucky strings of losses or lucky streaks of wins can propel a player into an Elo tier they do not belong in. Alternatively, players generally do not like playing with or against players in their placement matches and seeing they have only 1-9 wins.
Quote:
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked
Currently, it is possible to get two pairs of Duo-Queue Players per team in Ranked Mode, such that you have a team composed of Duo-Queue, Duo-Queue, and a Solo-Queue. Some data suggests that we should restrict the number of Duo-Queues per team to 1.
Quote:
10) Level Disparities
Some players feel that as a low level, they should never be matched against Level 30s because they feel the match is unfair due to Level 30 rune/mastery advantages. Although these players are highly skilled low levels, they would prefer a different solution than facing an opponent with simply 'stronger stats.'
I saw Wingsofdeathx when I was level 27. This is certainly a problem.

Quote:
11) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?

Quote:
10) Level Disparities
Some players feel that as a low level, they should never be matched against Level 30s because they feel the match is unfair due to Level 30 rune/mastery advantages. Although these players are highly skilled low levels, they would prefer a different solution than facing an opponent with simply 'stronger stats.'[

As far as I see it, the only way to deal with this is to find some way to deal with smurfs.

iRatherPlayDota

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2012

Cool

Keep It Easy

04-02-2012

Duo Que Elo Differences! Big issue.

Andromansis

04-02-2012

Good eye. Good eye.

NomZrawr

04-02-2012

reserved

Communist Puppy

04-02-2012

Very nice. YES. #1.

Warscythes

04-02-2012

Quote:
1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby
Players who queue up for a match and then AFK force players to wait through the timers until the lobby boots the AFK players out. In Ranked Games, Captains tend to see what the bans/picks are like and be able to react accordingly in the next lobby as the players will generally be the same.
I feel this is the most important issue because it is the most obvious. All the others are somewhat hidden because of elo or trivial like free champions in ranked. Fixing this would probably do quite a bit in solving the problem.

iAmTheBreast

04-02-2012

If #8 means that the first few games of ranked you play don't count for elo, I agree with this 100%. I can still remember going 1 win 8 losses the first games I played :P