Swain-Worth the IP purchase?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DivineBovine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2012

Since I usually play bottom, I'm trying to expand my roster and have been trying Swain since he is free this week. I like him due to his rather good harass, his slow that helps deter ganks/pushing, his regen capabilities, and just because he is bound to get a pimp skin.

If I DO get him via ip what are some good builds/runes for him?

My current "basic" rune setup for casters is

Mpen marks, CDR Seals, Ap Glyphs, Movespeed Quints

My build for Swain is

Cata-->boots--->roa--->sorc--->Sweeper--->rest are situtational

would love feedback :3

Iron Tyranno

04-02-2012

I find that he is, like all champions, good depending on your enemy team comp. If there are many melee's which might be the case all the time in dom, he rocks bot lane. Ranged not so much, same for every other type.

zionist shill

04-02-2012

Honestly that build looks fine to me. The only thing I'd change is the CDR seals to Mana regen per lvl, but that's just me. The only real core item on him is RoA, considering he is a short ranged caster and you need mana for your ult.

Generally speaking my build looks something like this:

RoA
Sorc shoes unless I really need the tenacity from mercs
Zhonyas because your ult synergizes with it and the armour is nice because theres always tanky derps

Rest is situational. If we really need damage then I go Deathcap, if they have mostly melee I get Rylais, sometimes even before Zhonya's. SV is decent on him as well but I only get it if I have or am getting WotA. Sweeper is also a good option because of the cdr and hp.Void Staff is a good option when the enemy starts becoming really tanky. AS is a decent option as well if they have lots of ap(but most people just play tanky derps so this is unlikely)or as a counter item if you go bot with him, OR if your team fed an ap caster and you don't want to get one shotted. But most of my experience with him have been top, not bot. And your build will pretty much always be different if you play him bot all the time. Also Ignite is mandatory on him.

Dark Getsuga

04-02-2012

I like the RoA but you should definitely get Will of the ancients with Swain at all costs. Spell vamp with him and his ult together equals him never dying.

Bolshoi

04-03-2012

I really enjoy swain. I typically build him as a tank with a bit of AP. He can typically outlast his opponent, killing them before they do too much to him.

I typically build Catalyst-RoA-Sorc-Abyssal/FH (depending on who you're facing)

Building up on Magic Pen means you don't need as much AP for the same effect, and as tanky as you can get you can almost literally never die. For Summoners, I run Ghost (for obvious reasons) and Clairity, so I can run his ult into the ground without worrying about going oom.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2012

Swain is awesome against teams that have a lot of melee. One of the primary things you need to keep in mind is that you are a bruiser, not an AP burst caster. You do not have a combo that can instakill anyone and rely on wearing your opponents down, your playstyle/build should reflect that.

RoA is a great first item followed by revolver/wota for extra sustain. DO NOT GET SORCERER BOOTS. Why? because, again, you are not a burst caster. You need to soak up as much damage as possible, not to mention you should be picking up a Voidstaff anyway. After that i would build mitigation, even if is just a random Chainvest and Negatron cloak sitting in your inventory as these can build into Frozen heart/Thornmail and Odyn's Veil for tankyness later. Void Staff late game ensures that you are still dealing respectable damage. I also pick up an early chalice of harmony if i find i need more mana regen and MR.

All in all, the 2 items that are core on Swain are Wota and RoA, these give him alot of what he needs to survive most encounters.

inFe eD

04-03-2012

He's probably underpowered if you intend to exclusively play Dominion. I've yet to see one make an impact on a game that another AP couldn't have done better.

Ace Mckick

04-03-2012

I believe that he is. He can be very strong

Voxom

06-02-2012

I just bought him with IP too. Bumping this thread for additional info. Would assume athene's unholy grail is a must now on him too?

Phourc

06-02-2012

I've got a friend (DisposableGod) that does a pretty ****ed good swain, built correctly tanky he's a pretty gnarly guy to actually kill while still doing pretty good damage.

I believe he skips the roa and does a Rylai and armor/ap or mr/ap items as he can, you could check his match history if you're curious.

Edit: just noticed someone mentioned Athene's - I believe he's currently opening with a chalice and upgrading it later to athene's, the mana regen is incredibly strong for his ult.