ELO system is broken.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ButtEnemy

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglshGentleman View Post
No, ELO is actually decided by how good you are. Yes there will be times that you lose due to leavers or troll, but those times are far and in between. Over time, your ELO will always tend towards how good you actually are. If you have a couple hundred games and are only 1100 ELO, that is probably where you belong. As I linked in my post above, a guy was able to climb 1000 ELO by himself in a matter of weeks. It is all a matter of knowing how to carry your team, and what champs to use. Leblanc is not a champ that will carry you out of 500 ELO.
Then explain how you are going to fill several gaps left open by unwilling/inexperienced teammates? I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to play this game anymore, because when I queue up, everyone wants to solo top, and everyone wants to mid. Nobody picks an AD ranged, nobody gets a support, nobody picks a tank. It's so rare that I get people who I can talk into getting the roles we need for a strong meta. It's even more rare that I actually win when I decide to play with these people who don't get appropriate roles.

I have tried playing every role, I've got well over 200 matches played as support, AD ranged, off-tanks, CC, AP carry, main tank, you name it. Across three accounts I've got over 1800 plays. This account at one time was my best when I had 170 wins to only 40 losses, but that soon changed when the system decided I need very stupid opponents. I carried games very well, but eventually it started to give me players who had no idea how the game worked. People who didn't even understand the basic mechanics, didn't know builds, didn't understand their champion, or probably had downs syndrome. So explain to me how that is a proper reflection of my skill level?

The best is when I get teammates who won't even communicate, if I dodged every game that I got where someone/everyone wouldn't say something to at least give some sign they are open to communication, I would be dodging 90% of my matches before they even begin. On top of that, if I dodged when people picked poor team comp/terrible underpowered champions and/or want to fill the same role multiple times I would literally never play a single match. Yet my opponents get solid team comps every game, it even queued me against an Ashe who had over 2000+ ELO, when my entire team was 800 and below. What the hell?

EDIT: Just realized this is one of my other accounts, not my main.

Swagston

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgift View Post
i think that if the ranking was about individual skills, there will be almost no teamwork in games
This is a highly valid point; if all you had to do to gain ELO was go positive then you'd inspire more people to play for themselves instead of just for their team.

Virgiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnGreen View Post
Although I am not an exceptionally good player, I do end up carrying most games. In the past week, I have not been able to win a single game despite having won my lane and ending the game with scores such as 10-3. I almost always end up with the trash talking team that refuses to work together. Even if I ask the other players to do certain things, such as buying wards to spot gank attempts and killing dragon, they simply don't listen. I believe ELO should be based upon individual merits and not winning or losing because you cannot control your teammates, and in some cases, you can't even reason with them. Does anyone else have similar problems with Solo Queue?
I agree... totaly

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

Some guy did the statistics, and if I remember correctly after 50ish games 70ish% of the time (one standard deviation) you will be at your actual Elo if you start at 1200. After 100ish games, you are almost guaranteed (95%, or two standard deviations) to be at your actual Elo.

Of course, the problem with this is that as you play you will get better. But what it does mean is that if you have played 50 ranked games and are 'stuck in Elo hell' you are likely in the correct Elo. You are in fact not as good as you think you are.

Asazen

04-02-2012

Just this weekend I raised my ELO 250 from 1150 to 1410, in a matter of 40 games. However this may be because I stopped playing Ranked when I was 1150 and was bad at the game, and then played normal games for 5 months, then just came back this weekend to ranked...so I guess i've gotten way better

randelmen

04-03-2012

i love how ppl say that after 50-70 games you will be at your correct elo........if you start at 1200 and you get poor team comp games you drop elo super fast........your elo is bastd on how well your team does not how well you do no matter how u look at it i went from 1100 to 1300 then down to 1000 its just hard to climp out when your wins give you 16 but your losses take 20........would love to hear the raesoning behind that?