ELO system is broken.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AutumnGreen

04-01-2012

Although I am not an exceptionally good player, I do end up carrying most games. In the past week, I have not been able to win a single game despite having won my lane and ending the game with scores such as 10-3. I almost always end up with the trash talking team that refuses to work together. Even if I ask the other players to do certain things, such as buying wards to spot gank attempts and killing dragon, they simply don't listen. I believe ELO should be based upon individual merits and not winning or losing because you cannot control your teammates, and in some cases, you can't even reason with them. Does anyone else have similar problems with Solo Queue?

iCoffee

04-01-2012

ELO is a matching system designed for Chess. It was never intended to be remotely functional in an environment like LoL.

shadowgift

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

i think that if the ranking was about individual skills, there will be almost no teamwork in games

S1TB1TCH

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnGreen View Post
Although I am not an exceptionally good player, I do end up carrying most games. In the past week, I have not been able to win a single game despite having won my lane and ending the game with scores such as 10-3. I almost always end up with the trash talking team that refuses to work together. Even if I ask the other players to do certain things, such as buying wards to spot gank attempts and killing dragon, they simply don't listen. I believe ELO should be based upon individual merits and not winning or losing because you cannot control your teammates, and in some cases, you can't even reason with them. Does anyone else have similar problems with Solo Queue?
i agree. everytime i solo queve its always someone feeding or trolling in game. Most games i end up carrying with Irelia and raging at team for sucking. and guess what i get banned cause im raging at them and the feeders and trollers dont. ELO system and the tribunal are both messed up.

5mokeWeedErryDay

04-01-2012

I know what you mean by players you can't reason with. Yesterday I had a dude supporting me as Alistar, I was Urgot. He kept auto-attacking all my minions, and asking "come on y u no atk." Of course I tried to explain the importance of last hitting, not pushing as hard as he was, but he just didn't understand English. He also thought that since his champ was bigger than everyone, he'd win every 1v3. He was dead wrong. Needless to say he fed the whole game, didn't know anything about winning a game of LoL, he must have thought it was the Hunger Games and he was Alistar from District "X'. Which brought us all to ask him, why even play ranked? Of course he didn't understand that either.

EnglshGentleman

04-01-2012

It IS possible to carry your way through at least low ELO. You probably are not picking champs that help your team enough.

Here is a thread were a guy was able to raise his ELO from 400 to 1400 in only 120 games. If he can do it, so can you.

Looking at your matches, you play a lot of Leblanc. Leblanc is only good for making your enemy QQ and surrender at 20. Otherwise she can't carry your team since she has such little presence late game. Use a difference champion.

Liquid Colossus

Recruiter

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglshGentleman View Post
It IS possible to carry your way through at least low ELO. You probably are not picking champs that help your team enough.

Here is a thread were a guy was able to raise his ELO from 400 to 1400 in only 120 games. If he can do it, so can you.

Looking at your matches, you play a lot of Leblanc. Leblanc is only good for making your enemy QQ and surrender at 20. Otherwise she can't carry your team since she has such little presence late game. Use a difference champion.
I was going to say "you're probably playing leblanc," but you beat me to it XD
Leblanc will win the laning phase against any ap mid that doesn't stack magic resist early game. If you're not 10-0 or better by 20 minutes, you're not going to be able to carry your team. Almost never should you play leblanc in solo queue.
To the guy who said elo is made for chess, your argument is completely irrelevant. The elo system was made for two player games. LoL made huge modifications to the system, it would work extremely well if there weren't trolls and people who refuse to communicate in ranked. Language barriers can also be a problem.

Canadían

04-01-2012

ELO was originally used in chess, and was designed for a 1v1 system. So yes ELO on LoL is broken because your ELO is actually decided by your teammates.

EnglshGentleman

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhowasPone View Post
ELO was originally used in chess, and was designed for a 1v1 system. So yes ELO on LoL is broken because your ELO is actually decided by your teammates.
No, ELO is actually decided by how good you are. Yes there will be times that you lose due to leavers or troll, but those times are far and in between. Over time, your ELO will always tend towards how good you actually are. If you have a couple hundred games and are only 1100 ELO, that is probably where you belong. As I linked in my post above, a guy was able to climb 1000 ELO by himself in a matter of weeks. It is all a matter of knowing how to carry your team, and what champs to use. Leblanc is not a champ that will carry you out of 500 ELO.

CactusManMode

04-01-2012

I've crawled out of 1100-1200 elo 3 times to 1400. You just got to play, don't get depressed and try your best. Buy wards buy oracles and just keep the pressure. Know what your enemy comps are and try to start fights when you can win. And also do the The Tribunal. Doin this will help get those people that just sit top lane trashin jungles and sayin how they lost there lane cause of no ganks. And the negative people will also get ban.