What's your opinion on the Demacian lifestyle? aka what would demacian life be like?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Gragas

04-01-2012

**off-toon**

title

Quiksilvur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

Very... Orderly. No mischief or troublemakers. It'd feel really clean. But I'd think it would be very frightening to even think about making a mistake and breaking a rule. You'd kind of be living in fear of your own missteps.

It'd be nice, but the way Demacia works wouldn't allow much room for pushing the legal envelope. Think a really strict parent.

Ask Talon

04-01-2012

Quote:
Think a really strict parent.
That only uses beatings and beheading.

Zanes Zalesh

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Talon View Post
That only uses beatings and beheading.
Or kicks you out of home to fend yourself from wild wolves, scorching sands, heartless neighbors, noxious mutant woods, mutilating-cold winds and perhaps will accept you back if you come back home with the skulls of thousand enemies, or perhaps of the vilest, if you can consider a wild animal vile, and most terrifying beasts Valoran had the dare to produce in it's Nature's Womb.

belthazor3457

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilvur View Post
Very... Orderly. No mischief or troublemakers. It'd feel really clean. But I'd think it would be very frightening to even think about making a mistake and breaking a rule. You'd kind of be living in fear of your own missteps.

It'd be nice, but the way Demacia works wouldn't allow much room for pushing the legal envelope. Think a really strict parent.
Demacia enforces a moral code as part of its law. A similar in doctorine (though not similar in specific rules) organization in real life would be the Moral Police of Saudi Arabia. The system is draconian and forces everyone to conform to a specific lifestyle and set of rules and has zero toleration for differences of opinion. This is combined with an indoctorinated military and heavy media censorship (all of this is in confirmed lore, mainly from the Demacian lorepage).

So if you are fond of your 4th amendment rights, they do not exist in Demacia.

Now, with those criticisms said, most societies enforce some type of moral code turned into legal format, they just do it to varrying degrees. No society truely removes it wholesale because a society could not exist with it removed wholesale (AKA you need to make stealing and murder illegal or you have chaos) and you cannot justly criticize Demacia simply for enforcing a moral standard as legal code. You can criticize it only for the degree which this code uses.

Governments simply decide what levels of control are to be put in place. Demacia's are just very high.

Higher than I would be content living in. In terms of doctorine the government is similar to WW2 Italy, with a couple nazi germany policies, with a mix of saudi arabia moral law.

(This is not to compare them to any of the three above groups - the doctorines are simply structured the same as they are in these three cases)

Now, the exact specifics of the moral code that are enforced are not elaborated on much, so we cannot say for sure that a Demacian lifestyle would be identicle to nazi germany, fascist italiy, Saudi Arabia, or stalinist russia. We simply know that it is heavily controlled and includes things like strict media censorship and other factors that mirror the structures of the above.

There's a couple different options depending on if you want to fill in the blanks with the benefit of the doubt or not. I will present both evenly:

If we try to look at the bright side, we need to look at their concealed carry and personal self defense laws. Media censorship, indoctorination, and fascism are normally coupled with disarming the citizenry and restricting personal weapon ownership. That's just historically here on earth, however, and this has always happened. If we are to give demacia the benefit of the doubt and assume that they can do something that's never been done by a government on earth (Which is something the Ionian government also practices, but that's a different topic, to be fair)

Now, if this DOESN'T happen in Demacia, we can guess that armed crimerates are fairly low. But for this we must give the benefit of the doubt as there have not been recorded cases of a nation doing this successfully in real life.

If we look at the negative, the chances of the above are very unlikely. However, not impossible. By comparing it to nations that behave in the same manner on earth we are looking at very high crimerates due to a lot of poverty, and a lot of people joining the military for it being one of the few unrestricted career paths.

At present we can only determine probability based on earth history, and in probability, it's similar to WW2 italy, stalinist russia, etc.

We KNOW that 4th amendment rights do not exist in Demacia.

We KNOW they have something similar to Saudi Arabia Moral law mixed with Fascist italy doctorines.

We KNOW they have military indoctorination.

We don't know if they restrict 2nd amendment rights, which will effect crimerates.

We don't know how much they regulate business, which will effect crimerates and will effect what careers people select. It is common to find a military job in this society because it is one of the only valid careers offered and this will effect your career choice if you want to be a fruit vendor.

If I had to take my chances and roll the dice with the information I know now because I had the money to move to one nation on Runeterra, my choice would not be Demacia. Or Zaun.

Demacian life may work for some people. It is not my personal choice. That is not to outright condemn it as bad, I just dislike the structure of their laws. Philisophically I am not tolerant of intolerence. But this is my personal philosophy and not necessarily a match to someone else's philosophy. I simply disagree with the ideology that it is the best way to manage a country and a society. There are others whom may disagree with me.

If we are going to shoot for the light side, so long as you keep your head down and avoid criticizing your country, you might live a happy life, get a nice business and a nice house, and a nice demacian wife, provided you agree to conform to the society's many rules and keep your opinions and disagreements to yourself.

But, you -could- potentially wind up happy.

With higher crimerates and more poverty like mentioned above, the probability of this (Due to less people having it) changes. But, it can percieveably happen.

If we're shooting low, the odds of you moving to demacia with nothing but the shirt on your back and this happening are smaller than if you had gone to another city-state.

Once again, that's not to say it is impossible. Merely improbable.

But the probability of obtaining power and wealth are never 100% to 0%, it's always somewhere inbetween. There's no guarantee for any nation to ever grant.

IF you do wind up as a wealthy or at least upper middle class individual in Demacia, you may be quite a happy camper if you're content keeping your mouth shut.

I just view restrictions to freethinking as philisophically wrong.

But all in all life would be similar to life in, at worst, nazi germany, fascist italy, and stalinist russia. At best, it would be Saudi Arabia.

Orikan

04-01-2012

*hijacked, inflammatory content removed*

belthazor3457

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orikan View Post
You cannot into anthropology. There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. The situations are literally completely incompatible. In highly militarized societies where everyone is conscripted, owning a sword would be a necessity. This is shown in countries such as Norway (possibly Finland), where upon reaching conscription age, everyone is issued a rifle, and expected to maintain it if the need to call them up comes up. These countries are neither fascist, indoctrinated or heavily censored. Or in Ancient Rome, where nearly every able bodied man (Well, free man, anyway) owned a sword, even after his time in the legions was finished. Crime rates have much more to do with societal inequality than with the restriction or availability of weapons. In societies such as Canada and Switzerland, many people own guns, but due to the class gaps between rich and poor being much smaller than in the United States, you see a lot less gun crime. Will include citations if requested.
Quote:
You cannot into anthropology. There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start.
You could start by actually trying to tell me what your point is since nothing you said actually conflicted with anything in my post at all apart from the above statment that there were things wrong.

Second amendment rights WILL effect crimerates. I never claimed that it was the single, only, universal factor. I even said in the immediately following line that there was something else that would also have an impact on crimerates. When you restrict civilian rights to own weapons, crimerates increase. I can give you a billion sources for that. Did you assume that when I said "It will effect crimerates" that I meant "It will make crimerates go down"?

No.

EDIT:

Okay, so you went back and edited your post. You were originally quoting and responding to one specific line of my post, which was this:

We don't know if they restrict 2nd amendment rights, which will effect crimerates.

And in response to that specific line, you typed the above response which I have quoted at the top of this post. After I wrote the above reply to it, you've edited the quote to say "your post" and it no longer is quoting that specific above line.

So it would be nice if you could clarify at this point what exactly you are trying to reply to, because as of yet, you have still not said how anything in your post conflicts or contradicts with mine.

Orikan

04-01-2012

Tjihyana

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orikan View Post
This is shown in countries such as Norway (possibly Finland), where upon reaching conscription age, everyone is issued a rifle, and expected to maintain it if the need to call them up comes up.
In Finland, you are not issued a rifle, you may get one if you want. Most of the rifles in Finland are hunting rifles, since Finns hunt animals quite a bit. How do I know? I am a Finn ^^

Orikan

04-01-2012