Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Getting into 3's Please Critique My Champs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oppress0r

03-31-2012

This thread is not just intended for me finding the right champs for me in 3v3 but to also to hopefully inspire a discussion on the pros and cons of various roles and specific champs.

I have pretty exclusively been doing 5v5 but my friends want me to do 3v3 with them so I have been doing research on good 3v3 champs which is difficult because I usually AP mid and I know most AP carries aren't that strong for 3's. It also seems that 3v3 is very melee dominant. Ranged isn't completely out of the picture but for whatever reason, smaller map, smaller teams, the top tier champs in many of the tier lists are more so melee than ranged.

I own most champs, have the RP to buy 3 more and the IP to buy another. The question is who. This is who I have considered so far:

Singed - I don't enjoy this champ but I understand that he is god in 3v3 and I do not understand why. I get that his poison would be impossible to avoid in a narrow lane and CC would be a big deal on a small map but he isn't much of a ganker.

Gragas - He was high on the tier list and intrigued me. He is not one of my mid champs but I would start to use him to prepare for 3's if the consensus was that he was formidable. The idea of his barrels being virtually undodgable is very intriguing to me and his ulti would punish little clumped up groups in small lanes. Such a slow methodical champ though.

Kennen - Another high pick in the tier lists. This I don't get as much. Landing his Q between minions in a narrow lane would be difficult. I guess it's just escape ganks and farm well.

Brand/Cassio and Maybe other APs - Strong behind a tank in the lane and could lay down some decent ganks but would be pretty fragile 1v1 against any melee with stun/silence. Wukong, Xin, Udyr, etc could give them a pretty hard time if they don't have their cooldowns and ultis up.

Tanks that Gank - Barricade's list doesn't rank many tanks high. There's Singed then Cho'gath if I play him as a tank and then further down there's Skarner who I don't really like. That leaves me with Amumu, Malph, Shen, Leona, Alistar (?) and Rammus on my list if I want to tank. I guess the best gankers on this list would be Rammus and Amumu. I really wouldn't want to tank unless I was a gank and damage threat.

Bruisers - This seems to be the sweet spot of 3v3. I'm not a great melee guy. All of my friends scamper for solo top so I just take my AP mid every time. I really like Xin. I like the gap closer and CC. I guess I could play Trynd but I would without question be laughed at by my friends for failing bad with the OP champ for awhile.

Tanky DPS - On the tanky DPS side, I like Lee Sin but he is very difficult to me. I could put the time into some bot games then jungle with him in some 5's but ugh. Irelia is much easier but would still require some work. Lee is considered top tier though so part of me wants to put the time in.

I'll elaborate more if this turns into a productive discussion for the general public. Thanks in advance for your input.

lirm

03-31-2012

People will tell you it's all about the champs and tiers. It's not. It's all about the player and how well you adapt your play style to the hit and run nature of the map. Example? Everyone tells me Ashe is **** tier, yet look at my match history. I've pwned god tier teams with her.

The main composition for a team should be an AD Carry a tank/healer/bruser like Maokai, Taric or Alister and an AP bruiser/tank like Singed or Morde. You can get by with an AP nuke like cassiopea, if your tank is willing to play full tank. On of your team should also excell in the jungle, making Leesin as a bruiser really good, or shaco as your ad carry also really good. Clearing jungles wins TT, fullstop.

With that in mind, just find champions you really like or are good at that fit those rolls. Don't instalock, so you can see what your team is going, and pick accordingly. I always pick Ashe before anyone on my team picks, but I never lock in, so that I can change roll if needed, or champ if my teams QQ's too much.

Just remember; Ad carry, tank/healer, ap bruiser. One of which should excell in the jungle.

[edit] It just occured to me that you can flip the ap bruise and ad carry around. for example, have an ap carry and an ad bruiser. The idea is that you have one main tank and one off tank that can output damage, to protect your damage doer.

Vizy

03-31-2012

Think of 3v3 as one continual gank. Having characters that can move fast through the map, with good cc, and halfway decent damage while being tanky, wins games. AP scales well, but imo, AD wins 3s.

Lemming

04-01-2012

Don't follow the tier lists so heavily. They're not set in stone. For example, the reason that AD carries are low tier is that they're easily killed 1v1, and if they are separated in a teamfight, they die too quickly. But if you have a composition that's geared towards protecting your Ashe/Vayne/Sivir/Ezreal, it can be extremely effective. Just make sure that your damage is coming from at least 2 sources. Building pure tank in TT is a terrible idea (unless you're Rammus).

A good team composition will have an off-tank, someone who can jungle, and both AP and AD damage. In general, you want a champion that has mobility through blinks or movespeed, who farms jungle well, and who can 1v1 proficiently. I like to have an AD bruiser in top lane (GP, Wu, Lee Sin, Riven, Shaco, Udyr, ), an AD bruiser jungler (Nocturne, Riven, Lee Sin, Shyvana, Olaf, Tryndamere), and a tanky AP with heavy CC in bot lane (Nautilus, Morgana, Cho, Malphite, Maokai, Morde).

Desirable traits in Champions:

AoE- End the fight before it happens!
CC- Making a fight 3v2 is so huge.
Mobility- Through blinks or speed.
Jungle Farming/Pushing Power- Especially for top lane, the buffs and extra CS will make you godlike.
Bruiserish- Being able to do damage and not die helps you 1v1, and gives you more flexibility in fights.
Strong Early Game/Non Item Dependent- Shut down the enemy early and win mid game.

I would say that if you like Lee Sin, go for him. He's extremely fun to play, and quite powerful on TT. If you find him too hard to play, try picking up Riven. She's a strong top laner/jungler similar to Lee, but easier to play.

Oppress0r

04-02-2012

I'm not really one to worship a tier list. I was just kind of initially surprised at what was and was not high on the list. And yes, I understand, that with the right accompanying group, almost any pick would be good.

My big adjustment will be going to melee. While I realize that ranged can and does work with the right comp, melee reigns supreme much more often with a lot more comps in 3v3. My adjustment is in that I almost exclusively play ranged AP and hence suck at melee. That will of course change with some time and work.

I've been putting more time into Lee Sin but he's going to take some time before I can really make him work. I'm going to buy Riven as well. Xin has always been a favorite melee for me. Viable?

ScreamStar

Recruiter

04-02-2012

Xin dominates in 3v3s, but alot of QQ'ers out there, I like to build boots on him, followed by Madred's Razor for quick jungling and buffs. Then stack AD or AP depending on play style or opposition's D.

fazisi

04-02-2012

You are wrong about AP casters and their "power" in TT. Yes, the bruiser is the champion of choice given their ability to exchange blows with the enemy while remaining effective (contrary to popular belief, just because you can recall and get out to lane faster in TT doesn't mean it is efficient use of your time) as well as their ability to enter jungle fairly early. However, APs usually have superior AoE abilities (i.e. Rumble, Brand, Cassio) which are valuable in many of the situations that arise in TT.

The reason why Singed is OP on TT is the fact that once he gets his ult and a couple of Advanced Tier items, he is nearly unkillable to most teams. Now you have a very strong lane pusher who is constantly farming and can't be stopped and provides valuable CC/positioning mechanic which allows an enemy team to fall to pieces.

Gragas is OP for a few reasons but mostly it is the same reason why people get frustrated at Ezrael and Shaco. Guy bounces over walls everywhere and lobs artillery barrels.

Kennen's ult is very powerful in TT. I don't see how this is difficult to work out. Landing skill shots as any character should not be a reasoning for them being underpowered. That has nothing to do with the character.

Brand/Cassio and other OP as **** AoE champs. These guys rule. You do not need to hide behind a tank because there are so many walls and bushes to use to hide. Yes, these run the risk of getting stomped in a 1v1 fight but that's why you were born with a brain. All the "counters" you listed are easily kited.

Tanks are OP but you need the damage to go with them. However, most people will 15 minute forfeit if they keep getting Rammus taunted.

Bruisers and Tanky DPS. What's the reason for mentioning the same role twice? Bruisers ARE Tanky DPS.

TBH, I still haven't read any of the tier lists for TT. There is a huge difference between what is represented on the tier list as powerful and what you will actually find in game. For one, these lists have no bearing on Normal Blind Pick.