Counter to Malzahar - solo mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jonizhere

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang69 View Post
Akali can kill anyone 1v1in lane... then gank sides.
My friend says she is useless before level 6, but then again she is scary as hell after.

Azukai

07-20-2012

You can always get a qss to counter his ult and then proceed to rape hi
s face

AngryKoch

09-26-2012

Somebody with high burst could easily win a Malzahar lane! If your chosen champoin has long range it would be even easier.
Malzahar has hardly any sustain in lane so try to whittle him down early game.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

09-26-2012

Viktor.

You can always use the stunfield when you see malz coming in for the kill, giving you a 100% effective stun against him. The powertransfer shield works great when you want to trade with him. MV VS Powertransfer, means you're gonna deny him some damage as the DoT component WILL be absorbed by the shield. When you PT him, give him some laser medicine of your own.

And when you both go for the kill, remember, you get 2 chances to stop his ult, he gets 1 (with a slight delay) to stop yours. You can stop him from applying damage shortly, he's gonna eat the whole thing you send his way.

And viktor can push WAY harder than Malz, i've had more than once been able to get Malz to fight with his tower for CS. (get blue, laser the minion wave, retreat to my own tower, see how malz gets to fight for CS)

Mr Ferpleton

09-26-2012

Gangplank destroys him, because his combo is nullified by oranges. That plus the harass is literally unstoppable if you're GP. Galio is also built for this. Mid game, his full combo does around... 25 damage if you pop bulwark.

Nakumine

09-26-2012

I've played Brand against Malzahar and it seemed like he was quite easy to harass and be very aggressive with until lvl 6. After that his ult shut me down, but as I thought about it, I wonder what would have happened if I opened with Brand ult to get him ablaze, (preferably of course with a couple minions around so it bounces back to him) then hit with Q to stun, W+E, then either ignite and kill or back off if he won't be dead yet.

Maleric

09-26-2012

As a Kassadin player I've done fairly well vs Malz. You mainly gotta watch out for his ult. It can easily set you up for a gank and be very annoying to deal with. Make sure you can silence him and get a feel for how long it's on CD.

lockpooh

09-26-2012

Malz is unstoppable. Even when going up against anti-AP like Galio / LeBlanc & Kass I just shove them to their tower with a Q & E on the minion wave and feed off another lane. They aren't known for their pushing abilities.

Malz is unique imo, he can push a lane without being in it to gank top / bot, he can farm passively or be extremely aggressive with Q to render mid useless while you get your combo off. His ganks are excellent, your R holds them in place (Except GP, F that GP!) while you W+E are doing dmg and Q prevent flashing.

The only problem I've had oddly enough are against Brand and Fizz. Brand can push my lane back at me and be a threat. Fizz, if I get hit by his ult I have to pray I land my Q and finish with a W+R combo.

Valrcrist

09-26-2012

The counter to Malz is the same as the counter to pretty much any burst mid; MR. If you're worried about him bursting you down, then get 2-3 Doran's Rings, and a negatron cloak, which you can then turn into an abyssal scepter. I realize that Malz's pool is % max hp based, but it's the only part of his combo that is, so the extra hp from Doran's still help you survive his other spells. Running flat MR glyphs + a negatron cloak + base MR will give you something like 92 MR at level 6. Obviously this will be further reduced by runes/masteries/sorc shoes, but even after all those, you'll still have ~35% damage reduction and ~1k hp.

Now if Malz has been levelling his E for farming/harass, then at level 6 he'll only have three points in his E, one point in his W, one in his Q, and one in his ult. Let's say he has sorc shoes and 2 doran's rings at level 6, along with AP quints. This will give him 46 AP at level 6.

So, with this on Malz, before the reduction from MR, his Q will do 117 damage, his W will do 223 damage (if you sit in it for the full 5 seconds for some strange reason), his E will do 297 damage over the duration, and his ult will do 310 damage. Ignite will add another 170. This brings the total damage done up to 1117 before damage reduction from MR. Now, when you add in the 35% damage reduction, you're only taking ~786 damage. If you walk out of his W at 3 seconds rather than sitting in it for the full 5, then you'll only take ~730 damage. This leaves you with close to 300 hp left after eating Malz's full combo + ignite, and a good chunk of that damage will be a delayed dot after the initial suppression, giving you the opportunity to chug a health pot and get some of that hp back. Additionally, your MR/HP will only go up as you level and get your abyssal + more items, which reduces Malz's kill potential even more.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, Malz doesn't really scale super well into mid and late game because his AoE damage is pretty easily avoidable, and his single target damage is so easily counterable with a QSS or CC on him. Plus his ult makes him super vulnerable as he has to stand still while channeling it. He also doesn't really bring any CC to a teamfight unlike a lot of other AP mids. Basically he can be scary in lane with his burst combo, and he's great at farming, but you can avoid being killed by his burst combo if you just build to counter him, and a farmed Malz is MUCH MUCH less scary than something like a farmed Ryze or Karthus.

Strossus Gran

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn°wTiger View Post
Kassadin- he can fart and kill most mages.... (banned 99.99% of the time)
Wacky, just looked at the top bans on lolking both monthly and weekly for each region and he never has made top 10 of any of them. I guess those champs just get banned 99.999% of the time.