HoN First Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clever Pony

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Thanatos View Post
Forst is right. HoN is a different game and, although it may be similar, This is not the place to give feedback for it. There are already some threads who make a comparrion between the 2 games..but that's the most we should here of HoN here. I am not saying it is a bad game, but I will say that LoL has far far more potential then HoN, which just hopes to be a better DotA clone.
Its the off topic forum, stfu?

I'm not going to lie here. I've supported LoL since I got into the beta, because it WAS vastly different than DotA. I did get into the HoN beta earlier, and have played it for a few months with friends. At first, it was easy for me to make the jump to LoL. I loved the fast-paced gameplay, the vibrant graphics, and the many contrasting playstyles between champions (and champion builds).

HoN has always been much more rigid in its design. Each hero has only a single playstyle (that works), and many heroes have very similar functions in games. However, I recently picked up HoN again, and I quickly found that many of the new heroes are very unique. I'm definitely seeing HoN as more polished, despite it still being in beta. Do I feel LoL was rushed, yes. Am I condemning the game? No. But, that being said, S2 has really stepped up their game in the last few months, and I am not seeing the same effort from Riot.

Apostle

Banned

11-02-2009

Hon is probably 1000x better than LoL...without a doubt in my head. LoL is like dota for kids, while HoN is for more competitive players. Both great in there own right tho.

Ashbrlnger

Banned

11-02-2009

LoL put me off the second i saw these kidish graphics. it looks like a poorly slapped together game by people who are sorry they didnt think of making a DOTA game then saw HoN and were like **** lets make a dota version our selves. guinsoo hasnt even been respected in dota series since 5.86. HoN takes a lil bit to get use to the buying lay out but once you know how to buy items your straight fast paced action of busting ass non stop. more adult environment. HoN > LoL aka hell kitty island adventure..

Clever Pony

11-02-2009

No...the two things LoL definitely has over HoN is the server stability and the general maturity in the community...

Hammurabi

Adjudicator

11-02-2009

Unforgiving and competitive are NOT the same thing. This is a concept that many "hardcore" DotA (and the soon-to-be HoN "hardcore") players don't quite understand.

The difference between the two games is not that one is more competitive than the other, but that they have very different TYPES of competition. HoN has a type of competition understood by almost any gamer, don't make a mistake or you'll lose. Whoever makes the most mistakes probably feeds the most and ends up giving the other team the win. This may not always be the case, but it holds true most of the time.

LoL's competition is actually more dependent on teamwork. In a game between highly skilled people (admittedly I have probably only seen the upper end of the "middle class" equivalent of the game, in terms of skill) mistakes are deadly. Not because it automatically gives you a large disadvantage, but because it gives the OPENING for a large disadvantage. The other team has to take hold of that opening and use it to their advantage.

As an example, say your nub opponent dies. Wooted. In HoN, what do you do? Laugh as you free-farm your lane and enjoy the gold you plundered from the nub's dead body. You are now at a fairly significant gold and experience advantage if someone doesn't come to stop you.

Now, your nub opponent dies. We are now in LoL world. What do you do? Maybe laugh a little, but free-farming doesn't really make too much of a difference to you. The REAL advantage you've just gotten is that you are free to push. Maybe even get some help from your neighborhood Twisted Fate or someone with a Teleport to get the first Turret in that lane. NOW you've gotten a large advantage.

Just because a game has "kiddy" graphics and doesn't kick you while you're down doesn't mean it isn't competitive. Pick whichever game you LIKE more. And please, dear God, stop saying LoL isn't competitive just because it is "forgiving."

Delthanin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbrlnger View Post
LoL put me off the second i saw these kidish graphics. it looks like a poorly slapped together game by people who are sorry they didnt think of making a DOTA game then saw HoN and were like **** lets make a dota version our selves. guinsoo hasnt even been respected in dota series since 5.86. HoN takes a lil bit to get use to the buying lay out but once you know how to buy items your straight fast paced action of busting ass non stop. more adult environment. HoN > LoL aka hell kitty island adventure..
I was under the impression that it was the community, not the graphics, that made for a "more adult environment." So far, there's been a lot (not all) of HoN players that have been flooding YouTube and the forums, for some reason or other, feeling the need to bash a game just because they're similar instead of offering any sort of constructive criticism. I think the XBox Live Halo teabagger mentality-thing is what is keeping some people from giving HoN a fair shot. Who wants to play with that sort of gamer, other than another child?

HoN seems to have some good things going for it (this is going from what I've read, as I haven't had a chance to play the beta), and certain features can be used as an example of something that Riot might look at to improve their game. The "omg, cel-shaded kiddie graphics, obviously suxors" mentality isn't constructive, and only reflects poorly on the sort of gamer that plays HoN.

I hope this sort of attitude dies down soon. If HoN is indeed a better game, It'd be ridiculous to not want to play because the community was so horrible. It wasn't entertaining when it was about "Nintendo vs Sega". Or "PC vs Mac". Or whatever "Fanboy item A vs Fanboy item B". Never understood the fanboys.