HoN First Impressions

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lommex

Member

10-25-2009

Anyone have a HoN key to spare? Been wanting to try it for a while, but never really got around trying to find a key.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

goofninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommex View Post
Anyone have a HoN key to spare? Been wanting to try it for a while, but never really got around trying to find a key.
castrate him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lommex

Member

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holoch View Post
castrate him.
I'm in no way cheating on LoL! I just want to know how bad it is, that way I'll appreciate LoL even more.

But then again, maybe I should stay away. Don't want to catch anything weird.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dachna

Junior Member

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommex View Post
I'm in no way cheating on LoL! I just want to know how bad it is, that way I'll appreciate LoL even more.

But then again, maybe I should stay away. Don't want to catch anything weird.
what you suggest is like watching the Star Wars Holiday Special, you think it will be neat to see how bad it is. And as you watch it you actually feel your soul slowly dieing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Assasinates13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2009

HoN is just a total port from DoTA. It just doesn't feel right playing this game. Ok, the graphics are great and flashy. Ok, they have at least 8-11 new heroes. But IMHO, they should at least get real item placements(shops. My PC cant support HoN but from previous posts i can guess how bad they are).

1 Q: Did they implement the recommended items thing after they saw LoL have it and wanted to copy that as well?

Just my two cents


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drasha

Senior Member

11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assasinates13 View Post
HoN is just a total port from DoTA. It just doesn't feel right playing this game. Ok, the graphics are great and flashy. Ok, they have at least 8-11 new heroes. But IMHO, they should at least get real item placements(shops. My PC cant support HoN but from previous posts i can guess how bad they are).

1 Q: Did they implement the recommended items thing after they saw LoL have it and wanted to copy that as well?

Just my two cents
Thats strange HoN normally runs on lower end machines much better then LoL does. The shop system is wonderful its compact and easy to use once you figure out how it works.

Recommended items has been on the to do list for a while no one is stealing any thing from any one.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Briskky

Junior Member

11-01-2009

I'm sure HoN and LoL both have good and bad things and both will be good games.
The only reason im posting, is just to say the OP is stupid for one reason and that is because he obviously played 6 games and stopped. Because of this statement "ITEMS ARE HARD TO LOCATE" ...REALLY? It was hard at first but ugh...you want a item to help you survive - PROTECTIVE category...maybe damage a guy ? COMBATIVE... They also have a recommended item slot for newbs thats generally alright.

That being said, they are both good games, i like HoN better though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tourette

Junior Member

11-01-2009

I've played both hon & lol without playing dota before, both are great games, they just target different Players.

HoN is highly competitive and highly punishing, if you get killed 2-3 times in the beginning your pretty much done for the rest of the game especially as a noob, both communitys have their fair share of dota ******s, you get yelled at in HoN more often because it's far more devastating for the whole team when your doing bad and feeding the opponent.

Pro's of HoN: Graphics (subject to taste), more depth in gameplay (denying, complex shop system, couriers, wards, ...), sandbox practice mode where you can lvl your hero and spawn things to toy around (no bot's thou), stable client, highly competitive community, lot's of stats tracking, better community features, Leaver Protection and kickvotes, lot's of gamemodes.

Pro's of LoL: Graphics (subject to taste), matchmaking, practice game with bots, easy to understand shop system, possibility to tweak your hero with masteries and runes, more relaxed community because the game is more forgiving.

I'm sure I've not listet all pro's and this is an opinion anyways so your milage may vary.

After playing a few games in both worlds I was heavily biased towards HoN, the number one reason for me was the solid technical side, HoN runs smooth and without a hassle in comparison to the adobe air cluster**** lol is doing (to be fair the game itself is fine too), I liked the graphics more, liked the depth, the gamemodes were awesome und just toying around in the sandbox mode was fun too.

So why did I pick lol instead of hon? ... For the same reason I don't pick up F1 racing, HoN is highly competitive and also highly rewarding if you manage to get out on top (watch some HoN Tournament vids and then some of lol, you'll notice the difference). Don't get me wrong, I like some competition, but HoN is far too tense for me and I freely admit that I suck at it,


Disclaimer: beware, this is an opinion and based on my expierience and skill at this sort of games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delthanin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourette View Post
I've played both hon & lol without playing dota before, both are great games, they just target different Players.

HoN is highly competitive and highly punishing, if you get killed 2-3 times in the beginning your pretty much done for the rest of the game especially as a noob, both communitys have their fair share of dota ******s, you get yelled at in HoN more often because it's far more devastating for the whole team when your doing bad and feeding the opponent.

Pro's of HoN: Graphics (subject to taste), more depth in gameplay (denying, complex shop system, couriers, wards, ...), sandbox practice mode where you can lvl your hero and spawn things to toy around (no bot's thou), stable client, highly competitive community, lot's of stats tracking, better community features, Leaver Protection and kickvotes, lot's of gamemodes.

Pro's of LoL: Graphics (subject to taste), matchmaking, practice game with bots, easy to understand shop system, possibility to tweak your hero with masteries and runes, more relaxed community because the game is more forgiving.

I'm sure I've not listet all pro's and this is an opinion anyways so your milage may vary.

After playing a few games in both worlds I was heavily biased towards HoN, the number one reason for me was the solid technical side, HoN runs smooth and without a hassle in comparison to the adobe air cluster**** lol is doing (to be fair the game itself is fine too), I liked the graphics more, liked the depth, the gamemodes were awesome und just toying around in the sandbox mode was fun too.

So why did I pick lol instead of hon? ... For the same reason I don't pick up F1 racing, HoN is highly competitive and also highly rewarding if you manage to get out on top (watch some HoN Tournament vids and then some of lol, you'll notice the difference). Don't get me wrong, I like some competition, but HoN is far too tense for me and I freely admit that I suck at it,


Disclaimer: beware, this is an opinion and based on my expierience and skill at this sort of games.
Seems like a pretty fair comparison. If LoL was as punishing as DotA (and I assume HoN, since I haven't had a chance to play it but understand that they're more similar than LoL), I probably wouldn't have been able to get a couple of my friends to try this style of game longer than 2 matches.

If someone's a die hard DotA fan, then maybe HoN is more up your alley. I'll give it a try at some point, if able. I can play multiple FPS's and such. No reason I can't mess around with multiple MOBAs. Although the LoL summoner metagame pulls on a certain heartstring of mine I can't resist...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Thanatos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
This is the LoL forums Give feedback on LoL not HoN!
Forst is right. HoN is a different game and, although it may be similar, This is not the place to give feedback for it. There are already some threads who make a comparrion between the 2 games..but that's the most we should here of HoN here. I am not saying it is a bad game, but I will say that LoL has far far more potential then HoN, which just hopes to be a better DotA clone.


123