HoN First Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miyamiya

10-21-2009

So I went to check out the HoN Beta today, and I thought I would post some of my observations.

Technical Stuff

On installing I found a loading screen with language select, meaning I can put my game into French at a touch of a button, very cool.

After playing about 5 or so games I have not yet located a matchmaking system, though there are plenty of autobalancers while in a lobby to fix this. Lots of game modes already in place. I personally love the draft where you pick out of 3 different characters.

There are plenty of little options to check and random competitive stuff like seeing your rating in the lobby. The interface itself is pretty confusing at first, it seems graphics take priority over functionality. I had problems even telling which units and heros were on my team, and trying to find places to close out of the menus.

Compared to LoL the shopping system is horrible. It takes forever to locate items as the sorting seems random at best. There are random "features" like the stash for going over 6 items which only serve to confuse things more. Apparently I can put items on my pets to carry, give them to teammates, etc etc but they seem to add little to the game except more buttons to push.

Finally, the leaver mechanics are pretty strange. It focuses more on punishing leavers to the extent they can't join games, and it still seems to be a problem with ragequits almost as soon as the game begins. Concede itself requires everyone to vote yes, making that one hold out player a problem. I got stuck in a game just being farmed "for stats" while the opposing team didn't try to win. If I did leave the game, and I think I was ethically in the clear to do so, I would get punished anyway.

Graphics and sound

Mostly superior to LoL. Some of the effects are impressive to say the least. It is hard from a functional standpoint to notice critical details, but at least I can enjoy the artwork as I instantly die to that thing I barely saw. The characters kind of all look alike too. One seems to be a hulking blob that is really a bear. The other seems to be a hulking blob that is really a crayfish, etc etc.

Design

On agreeing to the beta I saw the words "DOTA" about 5 times in the paragraph describing the game I was about to beta test. This sums up what I found in playing a few games. Instead of taking the best things about Dota and making a new game, they seemed to just want to "port" the game to a different engine with better graphics.

That aside, there is a quote from one of the designers of the civilation series that went something like "I want my players to spend their time making meaningful decisions". Simple things like always having a recall button instead of having to buy an item to recall that any player should have spent money on anyway. In HoN it seems like there is a game buried beneath 1000 of these things. To be fair in some matchups you do need an Oracle Elixir in LoL but this pales in comparison to what I've experienced in HoN on a moment by moment basis.

Community

From the little I've seen, absolutely horrible. As a new player, I went to join noob only games only to be crushed and yelled at "for being a noob" while being farmed to improve stats. There were plenty of random leavers despite all the measures and plenty of random kicks from games when I told them I was new.

Conclusion

HoN has lots of cool features that Dota players will enjoy and is an overall upgrade without changing the game in the slightest. However, for a competitive gamer who was never involved in the dota scene it is extremely clunky in the fundamentals of good game design. LoL by comparison makes it much more accessable to new players while keeping the elements that make dota competitive alive and kicking.

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

10-21-2009

This is the LoL forums Give feedback on LoL not HoN!

Kaldaris

10-21-2009

I thought this post was helpful for my decision to never play HoN. It really reinforced my point, and I'm totally for posts that back up my own choices and suppourt my opinions.

+1

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

10-21-2009

Have to agree with you about little non-decisions. TP scrolls are an absolute must, it's like having 5 inventory slots anyway. Ward placement/buying is formulaic, it's always the same character that must buy them and the exact same spots to place them. Ganking is a matter of who can burst the other guy down before they can start moving. Denying adds a rote skill that serves only to delay the game and promote bad play. These are little things that aren't a big deal in a game that's just a mod, but for a commercial game it's pretty glaring.

GreenWolf

10-21-2009

hon is for the lose
LoL is FTW!
HoN why you no give beta key to me _|_

Drasha

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratrok the Merciless View Post
Have to agree with you about little non-decisions. TP scrolls are an absolute must, it's like having 5 inventory slots anyway. Ward placement/buying is formulaic, it's always the same character that must buy them and the exact same spots to place them. Ganking is a matter of who can burst the other guy down before they can start moving. Denying adds a rote skill that serves only to delay the game and promote bad play. These are little things that aren't a big deal in a game that's just a mod, but for a commercial game it's pretty glaring.
Not every one carrys a TP scroll and its cost is balanced out by the fact that you have to give up a inventory slot. Ward placement can very and when the team is looking for your wards to kill them its better to not put them in normal spots. Denying is critical to your seccues early game and gives you a lot more control over creep position and promotes good play not bad you do not see bad players denying. These are all part of the game its like saying amo is a bad feature in an fps because you have to stop shotting and if you miss you are punished for being bad.

Theflyingman

10-23-2009

PLAy the game again and youl lsee it has changed drastically.

Nex Sanctum

10-24-2009

Honestly HoN overall feels more polished than LoL. It has a sleek and efficient layout, runs very well, and suffers none of the clunkiness that LoL still totes around. I do prefer HoN's matchmaking method over LoLs, despite the poor implementation of PSR.

Gameplay-wise...it's DotA, which is why I'm playing LoL.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

10-24-2009

I agree mostly with what you say. My first impression of HoN was that it was a flashy dota, and that by porting dota to a new engine, some of the Wc3 limitations would be improved on. Sadly, this is not the case.

The items are randomly grouped into the exact same shops that dota had, which is ok if you knew your way around the dota shops, but absolutely terrible if you dont (for the record, i do, but thats irrelevant). I went back and played one game of Hon very recently, and in the updates since when i previously played, it looked like they have implemented a recommended items list, as well as a "buy all components" button (which seemed to not work, or at least not work how i thought it should). This is a step in the right direction, but the whole item system is so sloppy, its a shame a professional game design company would take a system limited to the Wc3 engine, and then copy it, poorly.

Furthermore, I dont really understand the reason for the "secret" shops, that offer different items. It was cool when they were first in dota (pre TFT), because they actually were a semi secret (especially the furbolg that you had to destroy some trees to get to in the river), but really has no logical place. I never thought of it when playing dota, but really, why i need to go somewhere different to buy those items?

Next, the stash, a little box you can buy items onto when you are out of range of the item shop. This may be because i have not played dota/hon for a looooong time, but i guess i got accustomed to LoL's logical and simple system. If i am dead, i can buy items. I bought the same item several times, because i tried to buy it when i was dead, but it appeared in my stash. Additionally, when trying to upgrade items, if i did not have enough inventory space, i was forced to drag all the items onto the stash to upgrade them. Seems like a pretty retarded system imo.

And thats just the item system.... Serriously, what was the point of porting DotA into a new engine, if you are not going to adress the limitations of the previous engine?

Ferisar

10-24-2009

Seeing as I've been bashing the game for a while without ever playing it, I thought "Well, why not"
I gave it too much credit, to be honest, in the bad game side more or less. It IS a polished dota, and I'd say if you're a diehard, then just move on to it. I'll probably play it on and off, but meh. It's alright for what it's worth, and everything looks nice and pretty, not to say it's really easy on your computer (For some magical reason the HoN graphics are actually lower in demand on the engine than the LoL ones)
Like the item issue described in the above post, I was really annoyed. This kind of shop is just horrid, horrid way to organize items. Yes, there are tabs, but the way it's all made was more understandable in the wc3 game than this one, which just makes everything awkward and for it's quick pace, would make new players wander in the item shop for a solid 10 minutes before they understand what's going on.
The only thing I'm happy about so far is my first game has been with Legionnaire, which is a complete and total port of Axe from DotA, which I was moderately good with to stomp pubs.
The game's ALRIGHT.
I wouldn't say it's 30 bucks alright.

Also, the graphics aren't that great. They're using polishy-easy-on-the-card things to make it look a lot better than it is. It's like sticking Lens Glare into pics and calling them good. Animations are fluid, but awkward, and for all it's promise of lethality in abilities, I was thoroughly disappointed to have barely to ever make contact with things I'm fighting. The terrain layout isn't good, either. Passable and impassable terrain are extremely difficult to distinguish.

I'm not saying this game isn't worth checking out, but it's not worth paying for in my opinion. Unless you're a total diehard for a prettier dota, sure. Go for it. I'm pretty sure they ripped several old animations, too. If you're looking for something a bit less ridiculous, I'd just stick with LoL.