Just played HoN..... Riot YOU ROCK

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChundyHagey

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueberone View Post
Riot you have made a great game. As a veteran Dota player of many years I have thoroughly enjoyed LoL for months now. I just tried out HoN and after one game I uninstalled the game. It is not very noob friendly. It also seems to just be not as fun. Making items is not very intuitive. Gameplay just seems so so.
After my first game of HoN I wholeheartedly agree with you here, played one and uninstalled too. It was just brutal, very few heroes, pretty much all of the EXACT clones of DotA heroes, the UI, store and even the ready button were all squished, everything was hard to find. My team left me to solo mid, I told them it was my first game and they already seemed pissed (btw, the game I joined was titled "BEGINNERS WELCOME") after my first death one person already started complaining, two deaths pretty much my whole team was flaming me and third one they just flipped out and told me to leave. I have never seen such a awful community in my life. HoN never looked great when I compared it to LoL, and now that I have tried it for myself I regret wasting the 20 minutes or so playing it

eXMarvin

10-22-2009

haha..
HoN guys (mostly, from personal experience) are very "matured"..
matured in a way that anything that has childish graphics are childish games..
i play at cafe's and i bring my own copy of LoL trying to promote it..
but HoN players laugh at me saying that LoL is the child version of DotA..
never got in a discussion with them though, always concentrated on playing..

just wish Riot will open up the game soon..
HoN, as far as i know, already opened their beta..
most cafe's here already have HoN, but only those where i play have LoL (though unupdated)..
i have never seen any LoL player except for a few of my friends and families..
and, not exaggerating, after a game or two of LoL they all dropped playing DotA..
some where even interested enough to pay for the beta keys..
HoN keys are easy to come by, LoL keys not much..

PS
maybe HoN players are just jealous..
they cant get a LoL account..
lol..
:P

Mystikal

10-22-2009

I've played DotA for so many years, I remember when Rooftrellen could make towers and Crix couldn't get his sand trail move if he was on sent (lol).

Anyways, I picked up LoL because DotA was starting to get stale, the whole thing of farm, get stronger, get **** on by enemy agility hero, kill enemy agility hero in a 5v1 somehow, push for win, if not, rinse repeat until either you win or agility hero rapes your entire team.

I love LoL because very rarely will you see a single hero roflwalk over the other team. I've done it before, but its goddamn hard.

And then I picked up a HoN beta key. First impressions of the game were good, solid interface, good performance. And then I joined my first game. It was a "noobs only" game, rd (I don't believe that -em is a true mode, it promotes terrible habits and creates bad players.) and the first thing I noticed was that when I looked over the heroes, I could go "holy **** thats just mercurial, thats zeus, thats pudge." So I played Torturer, who is Leshrac.

I've always been a good player at DotA and it was the exact same thing gameplay wise. I got into the game, opened the shop, and just about ****ing died. Took me 3 minutes to figure out how to buy the item I wanted. Finally made the remade version of Ring of the Basilisus or w/e and went mid. Apparently I was solo, alright I though, I can do this, I'll just rape everything as an early game int hero. And thats exactly what happened, First blood, 6-0-6 to start the game. And then their mercurial bought something and the entire game flipped over and I ended up going 8-6-7 at the end. We lost embarrassingly bad because their agility hero could carry the **** out of everyone else. I HATE that mechanic. Played a couple more games, basically ended the exact same way. Oh and did I mention the particle effects? It was just mass hysteria in a small area when 6 or more heroes were together.

tl;dr : I tried HoN, its DotA, it's pretty, its boring. LoL has much superior gameplay and bluepill is the best thing ever added to the genre.

paoris

10-22-2009

i agree with ya , the shop is so damn hard to navigate, i tried out tiny/pebbles and it took me forever to understand how the new arcane ring worked. the biggest thing that got me is i was having such a hard time telling the difference between my team and the other team. towers were a joke, there was no real threat about them, unlike LoL where at lvl 5 the towers still hurt for anyone. I honestly felt they should have just made HoN with the exact same names of hero's and items. The only thing i liked about it was the graphics, aside from that game play was boring. one last thing the god damn hero's in that game talk way too much.

When i first started playing LoL i wanted it to be more like dota, but as i played it was fresh, new, and easy for any one to get a grip on how to play. the learning curve is low but upper tier play is more intense. LoL is demanding of the team as a whole not just one person who can farm the most.

Quote:
and bluepill is the best thing ever added to the genre.
i agree with ya 200%.

Khajeh

10-22-2009

I completely agree.

I played HoN for a while and I played demigod for a while and both pale in comparison.

Everything from the interface options, to the play dynamics, to the community. It's all just way better.

Awesome Awesome job Riot.

KTommyToan

10-22-2009

yup, first paragraph got it in one. HoN just wreaks of a terrible first impressions.