Just played HoN..... Riot YOU ROCK

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meta

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluc View Post
Even though there are a few people who go on about "HON ROCKS LOL SUCKS", it seems a majority believe that LoL is better. I personally haven't played HoN so i can't give a complete opinion, but I don't see myself switching to HoN anytime soon.
Well, you're also on the LoL forums, so the opinions here might be a little biased.

They're both trying to achieve different things. LoL is trying to progress the genre, broaden the audience, and increase its accessibility. HoN is trying to appeal solely to previous DotA players.

The real question is, are there more existing DotA players or potential MOBA players out there?

VoxDissident

The Council

10-21-2009

Yeah. Obviously there is a bias that originates from being familiar with one game, and going to another game that is very similar and being disoriented due to the differences.

HoN actually has a bigger community than LoL (from what I hear, at least), but I don't believe this is due to the quality of the game, at this point, but perhaps due to other factors.

I used to be a very hardcore DotA player, and I still enjoy LoL far more than HoN, though I haven't played nearly as many hours on HoN as I have LoL

Redskizzers

10-21-2009

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we can talk and talk about which is better and why, but at the end of the day which game makes more money and out lasts the other will be the true desider of which is best.

All I know is that right now I'm not a huge fan with how LoL is planning on selling us things. I'm not sure what HoN is planning on doing, but if it's just a flat cost then I already like that pricing more then LoLs.

10 bucks for a single hero is bs. That's all I've got to say about that.

Haluc

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskizzers View Post

10 bucks for a single hero is bs. That's all I've got to say about that.
They said the prices would be changed. That was established the day the store was released.

Redskizzers

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluc View Post
They said the prices would be changed. That was established the day the store was released.
Are you talking about the future? As far as I could tell the store has yet to be released.

ImMoreOfAButtGuy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2009

I just played a my first few games of HoN too and was pretty disappointed. I mean, I already own Warcraft 3. Why would I want to pay another 30 dollars when it comes out for a game I already have?

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
I don't think that movies to video games is a very good comparison anyways. A movie starts, and it ends. Games are more a consistent experience, and it doesn't ever really end. Granted, if he only played the first 5 minutes of one game, then I could see the comparison. However, he saw a full game from start to finish, so the comparison isn't really valid.

A better comparison would be... do you give up on a new type of food after just a few bites? For me, certainly most of the time I would try to eat it all and see if it grew on me. However, if the food tasted so vile and disgusting that I just couldn't tolerate any more, then I'm sure I would stop.

Maybe HoN was like spoiled liver to the OP.
Nah, food isn't a proper example because it almost never starts off bad and then gets good, which movies, books, games, etc. all do.

My first game of HoN was absolute horse****, I was prepared to naysay the game into oblivion, but I got used to it, found a hack to increase the ****ty max zoom (hey another game with that issue), and now I enjoy it. It's a change of pace from LoL, it's different, but it's fun. If I had given up on it after my first game I would be missing out on that.

@Redskizzers: the store was online for a bit, that's how people got the prices. The only thing they've confirmed is that $10 does not necessarily equal 1000 riot points, so it could be even more than $10/hero. Chances are, though, that it'll be less, and that they will adjust some of the prices somewhat.
Also, HoN = $30 flat fee, comes with the whole game unlocked.
LoL = free with tons of grind or $30 with a little less grind to play the whole game (but still a lot of it).

Whiplash

10-21-2009

These topics always get arguements from both sides, HoN is better cause the graphics and you can deny. No LoL is better cause its more fun, and easier to pick up.

It all comes down to personal preference. I myself have been an avid dota player for atleast 4 years, and I find HoN's gameplay to be lackluster. I've played about 40 games of HoN and each one was aganizing and generally not fun. The shop is atrocious, the heroes look generally the same so its hard to distinguish between them other than the obvious ones (Magmus, Earthshaker, Pugde).

From my very first game of LoL I was hooked, to me the game is just overall much more fun. I really enjoy the targeting system for spells, being able to see the radius or where you can cast a spell really helps out with setting up combos and such. Also the pace of games in LoL are pretty intense from the get go, in the higher-tier games.

I'm so glad that Riot decided to take the basic gameplay of dota and move it forward. Also I don't mean any hate towards HoN, it is a good game and Im sure that it will be successful to the hardcore dota fans(I was one till I played LoL, I played about 10-15 games a day).

The main thing that erks me about people hated LoL is the graphics, really your gonna hate a game cause of the graphics. Obviously most of the people that share this view are the younger generation of gamers that started on Ps2. I hate to say it but alot of games I've played that have amazing graphics generally are very easy to beat, and or the gameplay itself is mediocre at best.

Anyways just my 2 cents

Frozt

The Council

10-21-2009

HoN definitely feels more polished and plays smoother than LoL, but LoL seems to have much more future potential. Idk, I love both games and play them simultaneously.

Chapp

10-21-2009

I hate not being able to deny. That's my only complaint so far. That and the lag on "cloud server testing day."