Just played HoN..... Riot YOU ROCK

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

seresibyl

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlaven View Post
You should have given Twilight a chance bro, it gets better
<Walks into Prom>
"Want to get out of here?"

XfSwc0O0yTbwG5RT

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by seresibyl View Post
MMmMM.

I think HoN feels like a more polished code than LoL... and you know, LOLADOBEAIR.

I think LoL still feels fairly F2P.

>=P
Though, he has a point. HoN has ported a few 'features' of DotA that give it the same mod feeling DotA as custom map has, in some ways. It's arguable whether this is bad or not (most DotA nerds call every bug in DotA a feature, so you know where they will stand), but overall LoL is far more emancipated from the WCIII roots of DotA than HoN ever will (because it doesn't want to).

VoxDissident

The Council

10-21-2009

+1 to original poster. My own HoN experience has been disappointingly negative.

HoN's item shops are laid out in a non-intuitive manner and poorly organized.

HoN's hero art is nondescript and not interesting to see. To newer players, it is very difficult to distinguish one hero from another due to their art style / art direction.

I've met some of the most elitist, unfriendly gamers I've ever seen when I played on HoN, and it absolutely destroys the experience from the get-go because there's no immediately accessible way to mute people when they start cussing at each other, or when they start screaming at you because you missed an MIA call (HoN has built in voice chat, but even this is poorly implemented, and their minimap icons just straight up suck compared to LoL).

Keep up the good work, Riot.

Keyn

10-21-2009

I had the exact same reaction. Got my beta key today, woohoo! Quick install! Yes! Here we go.... "You play LOL??" *You have been kicked*

I actually managed to play in the next game when I just kept my mouth shut, and I was still met with players that haven't the slightest bit of patience. The shop is absolutely horrific and I wish much luck to anyone who attempts to navigate that thing on their first game. While the graphics of HoN are more detailed than LoL's, it also becomes an entirely new challenge just identifying who everybody is. Many champions look similar and a large amount of visual effects just fall into the background.

I am most definitely here to stay - HoN can just disappear.

Pr0fessional

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlaven View Post
You should have given Twilight a chance bro, it gets better
2 hours of bad drama and a terrible 2 minute fight scene at the peak of the story was "better" to you?

RoShamPoe

10-21-2009

I only played a bit of practice by myself, but I actually felt pretty underwhelmed. It's incredibly complicated compared to LoL. This may be fine for DOTA players, but I didn't play DOTA, so right off the bat I'm at a disadvantage. I'm sure most DOTA players like that it's not noob friendly, and if the game can generate revenue on you guys alone, more power to S2. But that doesn't really do anything for me.

Also, with limited time, I feel like I continue to get better with LoL each game in different ways. HoN seems like it would take forever just to be mildly competitive. Of course, if you like the game, so what I suppose. I had trouble telling which creeps were mine, thought the overall game was too dark, though pretty.

Lastly, I have no real read on this because I was alone, but the farming stage seems BRUTAL. I'm sure there's some tricks, but all in all it just seems like a longer game. That's not a plus for me as I like to rotate characters.

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueberone View Post
Have you ever just started watching a movie and five minutes in it was just painful to watch? You couldn't stand to watch past that point. That was my feeling with HoN
Well it's like, say you're a fan of kung-fu movies.

You're in love with movie that starts out with great action and as goes on it just keeps getting more ridiculous, awesome, and amazing, and by the end you're speechless.

Another very similar movie starts off with a lot of annoying dialogue with slightly poorer actors but people are all hyped about the awesome scenes that follow and you've seen some stuff from the trailers that you think looks cool. Do you just stop in the dialogue because its paced poorly? Hell no, you sit through it and it gets to action scenes which are equally as good if not better in some ways than the movie you love, and say "wow that was a great movie! not perfect, but still great."

That's at least how I feel. LoL is by far a better game (although the pricing seems retarded), but HoN is still quality and fun, if a bit rough and old fashioned. Plus they're porting SB, my favorite DotA hero, as a dude who looks like Shredder riding a rhino, my favorite animal. I have to give them a little props for that.

Meta

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatorture View Post
Well it's like, say you're a fan of kung-fu movies.

You're in love with movie that starts out with great action and as goes on it just keeps getting more ridiculous, awesome, and amazing, and by the end you're speechless.

Another very similar movie starts off with a lot of annoying dialogue with slightly poorer actors but people are all hyped about the awesome scenes that follow and you've seen some stuff from the trailers that you think looks cool. Do you just stop in the dialogue because its paced poorly? Hell no, you sit through it and it gets to action scenes which are equally as good if not better in some ways than the movie you love, and say "wow that was a great movie! not perfect, but still great."

That's at least how I feel. LoL is by far a better game (although the pricing seems retarded), but HoN is still quality and fun, if a bit rough and old fashioned. Plus they're porting SB, my favorite DotA hero, as a dude who looks like Shredder riding a rhino, my favorite animal. I have to give them a little props for that.
I don't think that movies to video games is a very good comparison anyways. A movie starts, and it ends. Games are more a consistent experience, and it doesn't ever really end. Granted, if he only played the first 5 minutes of one game, then I could see the comparison. However, he saw a full game from start to finish, so the comparison isn't really valid.

A better comparison would be... do you give up on a new type of food after just a few bites? For me, certainly most of the time I would try to eat it all and see if it grew on me. However, if the food tasted so vile and disgusting that I just couldn't tolerate any more, then I'm sure I would stop.

Maybe HoN was like spoiled liver to the OP.

Haluc

10-21-2009

Even though there are a few people who go on about "HON ROCKS LOL SUCKS", it seems a majority believe that LoL is better. I personally haven't played HoN so i can't give a complete opinion, but I don't see myself switching to HoN anytime soon.

seresibyl

10-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluc View Post
Even though there are a few people who go on about "HON ROCKS LOL SUCKS", it seems a majority believe that LoL is better. I personally haven't played HoN so i can't give a complete opinion, but I don't see myself switching to HoN anytime soon.
The majority on the LoL boards. You'll get the opposite on the HoN boards.