Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Ultimate Guide to Ahri, The 9 Tails Fox

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

acosn

04-07-2012

Quote:
DLT CorE:
I'm really sorry, but I just can't see it like that.
The boots don't give you anything but some MS that you can live without early game.
On the other side, if you get Doran's, you get some more HP and again, if you are used to it, you don't actually need the boots.
Doran's, for me, is far better.

Stop arguing it as though your opinion is valid. There's a lot of characters who go mid who won't care about the 100 extra HP you get off a doran's ring.

I'm talking about the competent Cassiopeia's and Karthus's that won't give a **** because that means hitting you all of one, maybe two more times.

On the other hand having boots actually gives you real means to avoiding their attacks. And three red pots actually grants a great deal more effective HP. Doran's ring isn't for characters who still have to nurse survivability, its for characters who have that covered and want a more robust damage / sustain profile. EG: Sion, Warwick, and Ahri...after she's picked up boots and building into her early game composites.

I mean, I don't know what level of play you're at, but virtually every time I pick Ahri and the other team has their heads on straight they're picking a harass oriented mid every time.

Or they'll just whine about how broken / no skill Ahri is.

But Doran's ring is the niche.

ExecutionerK

04-07-2012

I had watched this post for a long time and I suppose I will make some comments

OP's normal ELO is relatively low, his games ratio is 175/189 right now, which is less than 50% win rate, that explains more than half of his thinking, especially on Doran ring and boot

Boot is really needed to dodge skill shots when the enemy is good, especially when you play at my ELO (which is 1918, ranked right now) without boot, enemy karthus, cass, will just make you either stay out of reach of minions, or take their skillshots in your face, thus the reason why boot is often needed.

Same thing goes to OP's build, Ahri can rarely autoattack in between moves, and lich bane is pretty bad on her, and most ap champion will just burst the **** out of you when you try to use that lich bane.

I also don't understand why OP thinks that 1 AP is better than 20% longer buff duration, it can be a lot when you have blue buff.

DLT CorE

04-07-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:
I also don't understand why OP thinks that 1 AP is better than 20% longer buff duration, it can be a lot when you have blue buff.

My masteries are not actually like that (I changed it after someone's suggestion, I'll look who said that later) and I still have to update it. (I use the buff duration mastery now)

I'm still open to suggestions =]
And I'll try getting the boots + pots combo again in the next match. Let's see how it goes.

AkarisLight

04-07-2012

Quote:
cpandarun:
Ahri's cooldowns are very low as is and pretty low mana costs as well. Prioritizing cooldown reduction mana regen or base mana hurts your damage.

I think DFG is highly situational. It should only be used if there's multiple high health or tanky champs.

You should really consider prioritizing Rylais because her W procs the 35% slow so nobody is getting away from you. If I'm getting fed in lane I almost always rush Rylais because a Giants belt and Blasting wand is like 4 dorans rings.

Not taking the neutral buff duration mastery in favor of 1 ap or 5 ap after using ignite is gimping yourself.

Buying a Revolver gives you enough spell vamp to sustain in lane finishing WotA is gimping your damage output unless there's another ap carry and team fights are being pushed.

Archangle's staff is simply a bad buy but it's even worse if you buy it end game. Maybe if you bought Tear early that would be different even though Ahri doesn't need a Tear. Buying AA at the end of the game just isn't cost effective when you could buy a Void Staff with that money something that would be infinitely more useful.

I have a question for you, since you seem familiar with her and had suggestions about the revolver; if you're being shutdown for farm and kills, (in my case last night, against an AP TF that hit like a truck at level 1) where do you put your gold, especially if you can't farm up to get things like a basic blasting wand ?

Also, if you need MR early game, is a spirit visage a good choice ?

DLT CorE

04-07-2012

Quote:
AkarisLight:
I have a question for you, since you seem familiar with her and had suggestions about the revolver; if you're being shutdown for farm and kills, (in my case last night, against an AP TF that hit like a truck at level 1) where do you put your gold, especially if you can't farm up to get things like a basic blasting wand ?

Nice question, never actually thought of that. Guess I'll just wait for him to answer =]

@All
I'm also learning, just wrote this guide to share what I know, just so you guys know (I don't claim I'm best, just doing my best)

And BTW, tried that boots combo, and it's real nice =]
Just a question, should I buy Doran's after it or not, should I buy Hextech Revolver instead?

ExecutionerK

04-07-2012

Quote:
DLT CorE:
Nice question, never actually thought of that. Guess I'll just wait for him to answer =]

@All
I'm also learning, just wrote this guide to share what I know, just so you guys know (I don't claim I'm best, just doing my best)

And BTW, tried that boots combo, and it's real nice =]
Just a question, should I buy Doran's after it or not, should I buy Hextech Revolver instead?

Buy a doran or two at most if the enemy can burst you down or you need mana regen
Otherwise, go hextech revolver

DLT CorE

04-07-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:
Buy a doran or two at most if the enemy can burst you down or you need mana regen
Otherwise, go hextech revolver

Alright, great =]

Will definitely add that later.

PlayGooYa

04-07-2012

Quote:
AkarisLight:

It doesn't scale AP and 15% bonus heal on Spellvamp isn't honestly that much.

What you want is Abyssal Scepter. It's an incredibly underrated item that gives MR shred, AP and MR. You can buy Negatrons, build your core items, then upgrade it. All of Ahri's spells are going to land within the radius of its debuff aura, so her kit meshes well with it.

It's an incredible item that synergizes well with Rod of Ages and Rylai's Crystal Scepter, since those items give you health. And each point of MR is exactly a 1% increase in effective health against magic damage. Keep in mind that, with respect to magic damage, the health you do get from spell vamp is more valuable thanks to bonus MR.

Mercury Treads is also underrated. It's Tenacity and MR. People will say "Moonflair Spellblade," but I dislike the item since it diverts from your build and clutters inventory. You want movement speed and Moonflair doesn't give you that.

If for some reason, you need more MR after stacking Treads with Scepter, just buy another Negatrons instead. It's 740 gold and far more cost-effective for what you want to achieve. If late-game builds are a concern, keep it on the assumption that you'll either sell it or buy Banshee's Veil. (I maybe built a BV once, but I can see it making Ahri incredibly tanky in combination with RoA, Abyssal and Rylai's just because of the stupid amounts of MR and health-stacking you're doing.)

As an amusing aside, I had beaten Malhazar in laning phase using the Merc Treads and Scepter combo (I probably also had an RoA by then). Our team was winning but Malhazar was still a reasonable threat since he had farmed well enough that his suppression could hurt pretty badly. At that point, I figured I wouldn't see any end-game build, so I got another Negatrons on top of everything else and baited him to ult me close to his tower. It ate like 10% of my health bar and me and a couple of teammates proceeded to dive him. Their team surrendered shortly afterward.

AkarisLight

04-07-2012

I forget about the MR on the mercs, keep thinking it's tenacity only and if I get hit with CC, I'm usually dead regardless. Abyssal Scepter sounds good, might start incorporating that into my build.

PlayGooYa

04-07-2012

Quote:
AkarisLight:
I forget about the MR on the mercs, keep thinking it's tenacity only and if I get hit with CC, I'm usually dead regardless. Abyssal Scepter sounds good, might start incorporating that into my build.

In extreme cases of "Oh hey, their jungler jumped out and their mid and him proceeded to chain CC me," then no, Treads does not help.

But don't write off Tenacity. Since sometimes it thwarts the jungle gank because their mid is not in position to line up a followup CC or dump damage and you proceed to start walking away (after charming of course). This is often a case of you having map awareness and still not *quite* getting out of range of CC or them just walking up to you awkwardly because their kit doesn't allow anything else. If their jungler is Maokai and their mid is Veigar, then you should seriously consider Treads. (Of course, there's Cleanse and QSS, but sometimes you don't want to waste a cooldown if simply getting out of a stun a second earlier will do just fine.)

It also lets you trade hits better or mitigates burst attempts. Veiger's Event Horizon doesn't have a lot of points in it early on and it often lets you just walk out of his Dark Matter attempt, especially if he lands the stun at an awkward range. And if you're stacking MR, it can permit you to ult away from his ult-combo earlier, which might make the difference between life-and-death (suddenly he doesn't have time to land Q).

Kassadin is also another example. You can't trade hits with him unless you survive his burst and then do more damage back. Tenacity often shortens his silence so you can hit back before he walks away from you.

Finally, the MR negates any advantage they get from Sorcerer's Shoes, and in any case, is still 24%-25% more effective health than you normally would have in laning phase against their mid. Null-Magic Mantle is also quite inexpensive and is a nice buy on your next back. If for some reason, you really really like Lich Bane then you can rationalize it out by leaving your options open-ended, since that Mantle can be used to build either item.