Woohoo, I fail at math

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elan Tedronai

03-27-2012

I haven't taken math in 11 years.

Dobagoh

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
I haven't taken math in 11 years.
old geezer

Revanence

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

Thing I hate most about math is most things you learn in the book is rarely applicable to real life. I use basic algebra every day but as far as math goes, that's about it. I wish I could justify in my mind why spending so much money on this stuff in college is worth it.

Direlord

03-27-2012

I went up to i think calc i don't think i bothered with calc 2. Hate math and just did the bare min they wanted to graduate. Since then i've probably used none of the higher stuff and forgotten it all.

Sir Grimace

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanence View Post
Thing I hate most about math is most things you learn in the book is rarely applicable to real life. I use basic algebra every day but as far as math goes, that's about it. I wish I could justify in my mind why spending so much money on this stuff in college is worth it.
Most majors that require a lot of math, don't expect you to use said math when you eventually start your career. What they do expect is that you'll learn to analyze and solve logical problems by doing math. I've taken more calculus based classes than I'm ever going to use. However I didn't find any of them particularly difficult because I knew how to analyze and logically break down math problems.

That said, I do still use some calculus on a day to day basis but it's all simple stuff you can learn in a Calc I/II class. Most of the math I use is algebra.

Revanence

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

I can see where it would be required for a math major. I'm the medical field.

Sir Grimace

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanence View Post
I can see where it would be required for a math major. I'm the medical field.
Dosn't matter. In the medical field do you believe you will not have situation that you are going to have to logically evaluate? That is all any mathematical problem is: a logical evaluation of numbers. The point of the rigorous math classes is two fold: you learn how to solve problems logically, spot patterns, and derive solutions. That, and you have to actually work hard to pass the classes so it weeds out the lazy.

If I were you I'd pay more attention in maths.

Chance And Łuck

03-27-2012

Taking PreCalc next semester.

Suggestions?

Sir Grimace

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Vyura View Post
Taking PreCalc next semester.

Suggestions?
Make sure your algebra is up to par.

Kodoku

03-27-2012

Quote:
That is all any mathematical problem is: a logical evaluation of numbers
Burn this heretic at the stake.