Woohoo I got a $1.28 raise

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChoppazAndDakka

03-27-2012

I got a 36 cent raise yesterday. This pleased me greatly. I am going to lose hours due to a change in organization, but while I will miss some of that income it will be nice to not have to work as much. Over 40 (sometimes over 50) hours on my feet working every week was getting tiring.

Jesus the Friend

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohana Sushi View Post
My parents sucked at getting me to do chores.
I'm incredibly tempted to make a comment about your prior and current drug abuse, but I will not.
I have been recommended to not use that as a negative aspect of your life experience.

Anyway, I always did what I was told and wasn't given a damn thing(Money wise) for it.
And TBH, I think that's the way it should be.

Sir Grimace

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
are you in high school or college? because there is no high school course load that doesn't leave time for a job.
And if he's in college and getting a allowance... well... need I say anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
Anyway, I always did what I was told and wasn't given a damn thing(Money wise) for it.
Agreed.

ChoppazAndDakka

03-27-2012

Quote:
I'm incredibly tempted to make a comment about your drug abuse, but I will not.
I have been recommended to not use that as a negative aspect of your life experience.

My parents gave me a dollar per chore so I could save up for a Game Boy Color. That was probably the most exciting day of my life. I mowed the lawn like 80 times and pulled a ton of weeds over the summer to save for the GBC and Pokemon Blue.

poe tay toes

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Grimace View Post
And if he's in college and getting a allowance... well... need I say anything?
when i was in college my parents helped me out if i was really strapped for cash, but it wasn't a weekly thing, i worked part time during the semester and full time (47 hrs/wk) between semesters and only needed extra money if something major happened.

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

03-27-2012

i worked at a sweatshop when i was eight to save money to buy a super nintendo
i then used the super nintendo to start mini-village game cafe

you people are spoiled

Sir Grimace

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
when i was in college my parents helped me out if i was really strapped for cash, but it wasn't a weekly thing, i worked part time during the semester and full time (47 hrs/wk) between semesters and only needed extra money if something major happened.
There is a difference between getting help so that you can continue your education without having to starve or forego paying bills etc., and getting a weekly allowance of $25 for being busy. I too got some help from loved ones while in school. I also repaid them all after graduating and becoming employed.

Elan Tedronai

03-27-2012

Quote:
I agree, ages 0-13 or 14. Once a child hits the teens it's not a bad idea to start giving them some money to handle. It will expose them to money management.

standin

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
I'll stay here for awhile. I pretty much couldn't ask for a better job. I'm salaried. I can work the hours I want as long as they total 40 a week. My official duties are light but I'm given free reign to take on new projects at will that will benefit someone. I usually do a lot of Excel work to automate a lot of different people's daily work entry. When I started this job my daily duties took about 5 hours to complete. I've got that down to about 1 hour. I spend the rest of my time working on automation for other people. I'm paid incredibly well for my official duties but I'm underpaid for my actual duties. I don't mind the extra work though because otherwise I'd be sitting on my thumbs for 7 hours a day.

What would you like?
Whatever you want to give me.

Jesus the Friend

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
I agree, ages 0-13 or 14. Once a child hits the teens it's not a bad idea to start giving them some money to handle. It will expose them to money management.
If your child is hitting their teenage years, I would say give them money outright, if they are in school, not doing drugs(like some people on this forum used to/still do /cough), give them a little something to have fun with, if they want more, they can get a job.

If I had teenage children, I would *Not* bribe them, that would completely undermine my authority.
If I wanted them to do something, I'd just tell them and they -would- do it.

They'd regret it if they didn't, but not because I'd be angry or give them any kind of direct punishment...