Blizzard Sues Valve for Confusing customers...?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

And to think, back in the day people were like "well yeah it's in Blizzard's EULA, but they won't really use it!"

well, now it happened.

I still think it's silly a publisher is trying to make a game to compete with the games the actual developers made....

Xanthalis

03-26-2012

Blizz has always been very careful to cover theirselves in cases like this, whether it comes down to copyrights, who owns digital swords or whatever.

Valve, whose games I really like, should have known this and from the get go worked to change anything and everything necessary to avoid infringing on Blizz's property.

RenĂ mon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

>reddit

NOOOOOOOOPE

Azn Booty

03-26-2012

Blizzard wants all the money they can get before WoW fizzles out.
After that I'm sure they'll be making money solely through D3, more specifically their auction house system, which is probably going to bring in so much money it's stupid.
Edit: You can down vote me all you want; but even Starcraft is dying out.
Continue to look the other way though.

Fenrir Slakt

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeemboy View Post
Riot Games also counter-filed against the Dota trademark, which I find absolutely ****ing hilarious because Guinsoo and Pendragon didn't do jack **** for Dota.
"Steve Feak, also known by the nickname of Guinsoo, is an American game designer, and was the previous designer of the popular Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map DotA: Allstars. Currently he is employed by Riot Games in the making of League of Legends, a video game inspired by his previous work. Using the original DotA created by Eul (the original Defense of the Ancients map for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos) as a base, Feak made DotA: Allstars by adding his own mix of content."

Omonomous

03-26-2012

Quote:
19. Admit that installation of Warcraft II is required in order to play DOTA. Valve denies the remainder of the averments in this paragraph.
I lol'd

On another note, think of it like this:

"DOTA 2" would only be successful if it was named "DOTA 2". Valve would not sell nearly as many copies or have as many subscribers (upon release) if it did not use the name "DOTA 2"
My basis for this is very simple: Heroes of Newerth is nothing more than a clone of DotA... and just look at how well that turned out.
The name is everything. LoL became successful because it's different; DOTA 2 and HoN are clones of DotA, so their success would be dependent on their nametag.

AnonTwo

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeemboy View Post
Riot Games also counter-filed against the Dota trademark, which I find absolutely ****ing hilarious because Guinsoo and Pendragon didn't do jack **** for Dota.
Wait wtf?

EDIT: also guinsoo was the first designer of that epitome of skill Dota champion, Invoker

least the one everyone always brings up.

MaruFrozen

03-26-2012

the way I see it, actiblizzard is just mad they didn't get the big crowd attracted to their dota.

I really don't care much for patents and since notch won that whole 'scrolls' thing, I'm betting valve will win this one.

E0L

03-26-2012

blizzard has no ground to claim rights of the name or the concept, if they had they wouldnt care about the name but would sue that the concept belongs to them and that all these other companies including riot owe them money.

when you make a mod the asset's belong to the developer you can not sell your mod using assets from another company without paying a license but if you make an independent game with said concept using your OWN assets like what riot does you owe them NOTHING

this is a case of spilt milk blizzard dropped the ball someone else saw opportunity and now its too little to late.

their agreement between the moders and themselves in no way stipulates that they own the concept created by the moders or the name of the mod, in fact there is no legal basis for them to assume those things. the farthest they can go is claim they have a right to copy any concept someone creates with their mod. which is what they are doing.

THE Only reason for this law suit is that blizzard wants a piece of the pie with their own blizzard dota so that they can go "hey guys play our version its the real one"

Bruhmane

03-26-2012

If im not mistaken, Blizzard is only suing valve over the right to use the name DotA, but not for money.

They just want valve to change the name because they feel the name should not be owned by anyone.

Edit: guy above me knows nothing about laws, Blizzard owns ALL RIGHTs to everything that has to due with DotA, all names all champions.

You cannot own the rights to a concept such as a MOBA but you can own the rights to the name DotA, which they do.