Blizzard Sues Valve for Confusing customers...?

1234511 ... 18
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rohan

03-26-2012

Quote:
22. Applicant Valve Corporation is a computer game developer and publisher, and one of Blizzard's primary competitors in the PC computer gamemarket. Blizzard's rights in the DOTA Marks notwithstanding, on August 6, 2010, Valve filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (the "PTO") Application Serial No. 85/102245 to register the mark DOTA for "Computer game software; Electronic game software; Video game software" (herein "the Opposed Application"). Valve did so for the purpose of appropriating Blizzard's goodwill in the DOTA Marks and in order to confuse consumers as to Blizzard's sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of Valve's products.
Are WoW players really that easily confused?

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/rek15/til_valve_apparently_used_the_name_dota_for_the/

Yoshiro

03-26-2012

Casual gamer means you don't know the history of DotA and that DotA is a Blizzard Mod.
Its' not DotA 2 its DOTA 2.
Valve can't patent DotA.
That wouldn't be confusing to a casual gamer nope.
Why not DOTA? DOTA 2? Valve can't count?

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

I wouldn't give up the Dota name for free either. Especially when I'm making my own Dota game.

Most likely, Dota2 will get renamed. And possibly all new characters.

Jerobean45

03-26-2012

DOTA isn't a blizzard mod, it was a mod created independent of blizzard, using a blizzard game.

If you make a house with a hammer, the people who made the hammer don't own the house.

TheJukeBox

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyMemory View Post
I wouldn't give up the Dota name for free either. Especially when I'm making my own Dota game.

Most likely, Dota2 will get renamed. And possibly all new characters.
lol i love companies

HomeSkilletz

03-26-2012

Im pretty sure the 'confusion' claims, stem from valve's defense being calling the game 'Dota' rather than Defense of the Ancients. By just using the 4 letter term as their official name, it's confusing because it implies it's the direct sequel by having its name be the same as the abbreviation of the WC3 mod, but they technically can't own the WC3 mod so it can't technically be a sequel to something they don't own the rights to. In other words, yes, it's confusing because they are implying it is a sequel with the title without owning the rights to the original.

balberith

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerobean45 View Post
DOTA isn't a blizzard mod, it was a mod created independent of blizzard, using a blizzard game.

If you make a house with a hammer, the people who made the hammer don't own the house.
unless the company that makes the hammer specifically says that anything created with it belongs to them.

Dayntee

03-26-2012

ITT: Someone with little to no experience with brand control.

Brand familiarity can make or break an advertising campaign. It's dangerous, from a business perspective, for a word to elicit multiple thoughts when spoken. When you hear "DotA" or "DOTA" or however you wish to capitalize it, what do you think of first? That reaction is what's worth fighting over, especially when it's already established.

BiggerFish

03-26-2012

Quote:

except if you signed away all ownership of anything you build with the hammer when you bought it and signed the ToS

*dern, ninja'd

KaiserSosev

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

Quote:

Yeah, but if the people that build the house trow a hammer, a pony dies.

1234511 ... 18