Why does the death of a loved one hurt?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elan Tedronai

03-26-2012

If the human race has had 30, 40, 50, 100,000 years of death and has never known anything else, why does death still hurt? Sure, some socially stunted mental amoeba will say it doesn't hurt and that it's perfectly normal but to any healthy, normally functioning human it does hurt. Death of a loved one causes temporary anguish and permanent discomfort. If we've only ever known death after 40-100 years and have never had a hope for anything different, why does it hurt?

Jesus the Friend

03-26-2012

A deep, emotional bond is severed.

This is formed through exposure. If it's someone we've never met, the loss does not hurt because there is no bond, etc etc.

Elan Tedronai

03-26-2012

Those bonds have a 100% failure rate though. Why doesn't that lessen the sting of death over the course of the millenia?

Jesus the Friend

03-26-2012

You're speaking in terms of calculation and rationality.
Emotions are the opposite.

I personally don't feel "sad" when one of these bonds are severed because of the reason you stated , but other people do.

Elan Tedronai

03-26-2012

Emotions are rational. If they weren't they'd have been weeded out through evolution. Just because they manifest differently in each person doesn't mean that aren't rational. Without emotion there would be no feelings of grief or happiness. We would literally be robots. Since we didn't evolve into robots, there must be a quantitative human benefit to emotions.

The fact that 'natural' death is a painful experience for the survivors doesn't make sense to me from an evolutionary perspective because from that perspective humanity has never known anything different and has no reason to expect anything other than death at the conclusion of one's life.

Jesus the Friend

03-26-2012

Do you just... sleep during the day and post during the break of dawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai
Emotions are rational
You just lost all sexual credibility.

Elan Tedronai

03-26-2012

I am at my most thoughtful early in the morning. If I'm struggling with something, whether that be emotional, secular, academic, anything I usually come up with my most productive thoughts right when I wake up. I can't count the times when a solution to a problem as popped into my head as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning. For some reason death just happened to be on my mind this morning.

standin

03-26-2012

Elan, I don't get why you're asking this. Is this just another one of your "Elan threads"?

Yeah, we all know of death and it's inevitably but it's still depressing to lose a loved one. We can know of death but that doesn't mean we're going to just accept that this person who was very important to us is gone. It's a part of being human. It's a part of emotion.

If my girlfriend were to suddenly die I don't know what I would do. She's the biggest person in my life. She's affected me the most. She's like a lighthouse that leads me to shore. She gives me life, joy, love. I don't feel the same as I do when I'm with her.

Elan Tedronai

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
She's the biggest person in my life.
Maybe she should go on a diet? ... I kid, I kid >.>

Anyway, I don't mean on a personal level, I mean on a human level. Yes, it hurts because we form interpersonal attachments. But it shouldn't if it's all we've ever known as a species. Thousands, hundreds of thousands of years of loved ones dying and we haven't learned to deal with it yet? Evolutionarily speaking, we should react to our loved ones dying the same way a dog mourns the death of its offspring. Where along the way did we develop mourning for dead loved ones? Where did that come from?

kyubey1106

03-26-2012

My father died a little over 6 months ago. I didn't feel a thing.

Emotions are for the weak and they inhibit you from thinking straight.