too much trash talk?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

summoner somenot

03-25-2012

hi,

I'd like to start out by saying trash talk is expected, but how far is too far?

I think there should be a report button for the following type of trash talk, that if it's true in chat, should be a perma ban. with only one report necessary to be checked by riot.

I'm sure you've got some ideas floating around already in your head, and most of you probably hit the nail on the head...

Telling others to kill themselves, maybe an off hand remark isn't too bad, like "go bungee jumping off a 50 ft. bridge and use a 60 ft. rope" (still mean, but not excessive) but consistently telling someone to "off themselves", "the world would be a better place", "seriously do it, ******" etc. etc. is too far.

I was recently in a game with someone who i kept my cool with...for a while anyway, and asked him how would he feel if someone he told to kill themselves, did off themselves. his response "i wouldn't know nor care".

WOW. then he continued the rant, now ok I'm 20 i understand there are some really IGNORANT people out there who can not grasp what they are saying.

but what if it was my little brother? a depressed person? someone who took it to heart? would it really be funny anymore? is it worth the 5 minutes of CRUEL entertainment?

Let's be honest, would you want someone to do that to your siblings? your friends?

what if they did commit suicide because of the hate being poured their way?

do you understand people with depression can not see the good in life, and that those comments can cause them to go over the edge, they get on to play and relax, and get harassed. they can not see, oh this happened to me now, but tomorrow is a new day.

sort of the same goes for young kids, they think this is how it works, ima be picked on for the rest of my life, i do not want to live anymore. Maybe they are right, maybe i should do it.

i understand this is going to get trolled with qq, etc. etc. but if one person reads this who has told someone to kill themselves, or has been around while another is telling someone to off themselves, and decides to say something to the bully, or to not say this themselves, then mission accomplished in my book.

so next time you're in a game and someone is getting harassed, don't be an accomplice by silence, tell them to cut it out, it's not cool, or funny.

thanks for reading, peace.

MeinUguu

03-25-2012

This.

Nykidemus

03-25-2012

+1

This game has an absolutely horrifying community. I've tried to recruit people before and people who arent even into mobas have heard about how terrible it is and want nothing to do with it.

darkaura23

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2012

sigh.........enough said.

fazisi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2012

You know you can silence players or whole teams with the /mute command. It doesn't change how the person is going to act but that doesn't mean you have to accept it. If some psychologist wants to come in here and give facts about how depressed people are unaware of this functionality and are going to go eat a whole bottle of tylenol because some raging scrub on LoL told them their life is worthless...

You do realise some kid who is failing at a video game just told you your life is worthless. He must be an expert in the field so his ability to recognize others is astounding!

summoner somenot

03-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
You know you can silence players or whole teams with the /mute command. It doesn't change how the person is going to act but that doesn't mean you have to accept it. If some psychologist wants to come in here and give facts about how depressed people are unaware of this functionality and are going to go eat a whole bottle of tylenol because some raging scrub on LoL told them their life is worthless...

You do realise some kid who is failing at a video game just told you your life is worthless. He must be an expert in the field so his ability to recognize others is astounding!
So you're saying this behavior is acceptable, because there is an ignore function?

The damage has already been done. And ignore is very hard to do when you just want to be accepted. Which is why i think we should eliminate (ban) the problem rather than work around the problem.

If you were a construction worker and there is a giant boulder in the way of where a new highway is to be built, do you build the road to go around the boulder?

Or remove the boulder?

fazisi

03-25-2012

Quote:
If you were a construction worker and there is a giant boulder in the way of where a new highway is to be built, do you build the road to go around the boulder?

Or remove the boulder?
Are we unionized or not?

Xtrordinari

03-25-2012

The response is the ignore button. Since Riot can't possibly know every troll/bmer out there there's the ignore feature. Just like in most games, you can respond to someone like that which'll most likely continue a conversation you don't want to have. Or you can ignore them and play the game. If noone responds to that type of person they're going to be bent out of shape a lot more then if you just attempt to 'reason' with them.

MUSAKEK

03-26-2012

Its quite extraordinary how people discover their inner idiot behind their keyboards. Quite frankly, I think this is a great post and should be bumped. Maybe seen by every user, in my opinion. I have also had enough of people trash talking and people really REALLY need to shut up and play the game cooperatively, and then, ONLY then, will they win the game. I think it may be the fact that everyone is anonymous when they type and they decide to be someone else than they are.

Solutions; - possible mute others if they are offending you,
- play with friends you know in real life, or people you have added on here, that don't rage.

Great post. Thank you.

peace

DesertHavok

03-28-2012

You know what's really fun? After a game with the rager saying things like that... Friend them afterwards.