EVE Online and Dust 514

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sinnie

03-25-2012

Wondering how many people caught the live demonstration of the upcoming MMOFPS for PS3? DUST 514 takes place in the same, single sharded server as EVE Online. At CCP's fanfest on thursday the first in-game footage was shown, and more importantly if you go to 12:50 in the video you can watch as an EVE player on the PC bombards the planet in DUST on the PS3 - pretty crazy stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDW-HrzBo7s

Also of note, the new Chief Marketing guy for CCP said yesterday that they have seen the success of LoL as a free to play game, DUST will be free to play and they are coming for the top spot, hoping to make EVE + DUST the biggest gaming universe

Ravel

03-25-2012

I really like the Section 8 meets Battlefield look and feel of the combat.

In the video, however, it seemed like they were mostly fighting bots. There may have other CCP employees behind the scenes playing as the defenders, but it made me wonder IF (and if so, how heavily) the game will rely on bots.

I'm very skeptical that it will really meet all of CCP's (not to mention the players') expectations, but if CCP accomplishes what they've set out to do - make a meaningful multiplayer FPS interaction with Eve Online - and it attracts a large enough playerbase, this will be one of the most kickass games in FPS history.

Uber Bonisseur

03-25-2012

Eve online pretty much asks you to have another life to spend grinding money; feels like a 2nd job but you have to pay for it.

However Planetside 2 seems the way to go. And it's free to play

Sinnie

03-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravel View Post

In the video, however, it seemed like they were mostly fighting bots. There may have other CCP employees behind the scenes playing as the defenders, but it made me wonder IF (and if so, how heavily) the game will rely on bots.
They did a few other presentations over the 4 days. Space in New Eden is split into 3 types (high sec, low sec and null sec). You will fight against bots in high sec, this is basically the PvE mode for those that aren't interested in fighting other players. In low and null sec the planets start off uncontrolled and both DUST and EVE corporations can fight for them (EVE players hire the DUST players to fight on their behalf). In other words, the PVP aspect is the core of the game and where the fun will be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Bonisseur
Eve online pretty much asks you to have another life to spend grinding money; feels like a 2nd job but you have to pay for it.

However Planetside 2 seems the way to go. And it's free to play
But EVE gives you so much more scope. No other MMO gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. Plenty of people make enough money in game to play the game for free (in-game currency -> Plex -> gametime) and do so without spending stupid amounts of time playing the game.

Zyrusticae

03-27-2012

How could you post this thread and not include the awesome cinematic trailer?! Blasphemy, I say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI53ydJaus8