Leaver Levels

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MetaMythril

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
There's no exact data on how the afk detection system works, details on such would defeat the purpose of having a system like that in the first place.
I definitely understand the intentional ambiguity of the system. I guess my inquisitive nature got the better of me, even knowing that there would be no real response. :P

Quote:
It's my understanding that custom games don't affect the leaver buster at all, and that's as it should be. You shouldn't get to leave custom games only to have doing so allow you to leave more matched games.
I can see how that could be abused. At the same time, having a "cooling off" mechanic where people can simply stop playing for a day or two to clear down some undefined amount of their leaver level would function like a self-enforced suspension. This allows the accidental leavers a chance to recover and it pushes the willful leavers away from playing.

Ok scratch what I just said... after reading what I just wrote, I realized how terrible the "cooling off" period would be. The idea is to catch and put an end to the willful leavers so that they never come back. If you gave them a way to clear off the damage by waiting, you would essentially never catch them as they would "toe the line" as you said before and do just enough to keep leaving on a consistent basis. Never thought I would shoot down my own argument in my own post. -_-

Quote:
How much effort have you put into trying to get that issue resolved? It sounds like you know what it is, and there may be nothing you can do, but I'd contact Riot's support staff and ask for some tips. Sometimes all it takes is pressuring your ISP to fix their stuff.
I've had them come by several times, the signal in the line looks good and the techs confirmed it. My research online has lead me to believe that one of their nodes (cable internet) is having trouble with my Motorola Surfboard 6120 DOCSYS 3.0 modem (even though it is supported). A friend of mine across town has the exact same modem and has no issues. I've tried to relay that information to the cable company but apparently none of the tech support people I've talked to seem to have a firm grasp of their own systems.

I'm looking at just getting another modem to see if that changes things and just keep my current modem as a backup, should the new one fail. I've just kinda ignored the disconnects because they are very brief, but now that I've started playing LoL and just finding out how brief disconnects can result in partial leaves, I'm just going to have to swallow getting a new modem. :P

Thanks for the discussion and the shopping tips. I've actually been getting into that habit of bringing up the next item I want to buy while my champ heads out to the lane.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-17-2012

Oh I'm highly curious as well, but... we'll never know.

Your welcome for the tips, any other questions feel free to ask.

TwistWrist

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaMythril View Post
I'm curious if the AFK detection works on just movement. Would a player get dinged if they spent 30-60 seconds at base trying to buy equip? I try to spend as little time as possible shopping but sometimes I get lost in the shop menu system. They really need something better than having to drill up and down several layers to get to certain items as I'm learning that the default recommendations aren't the best.
If you stand in the shop long enough for AFK detection to kick in, you've already lost your lane/jungle/whatever you were doing.

Quote:
I wish there was something better than JUST "play games to erode your leaver level". I do have a peculiar internet issue where the ISP's load balancing causes my internet to drop for about 30-45 seconds. I've be able to rejoin every time that has occurred. Normally my internet plays nice and I've been able to play a number of games without interruption. Regional telco monopolies not withstanding, I understand the need for such a system and just wish there was something more like a "cooling off" period where you could just sit out for a while. The idea that you need to "play more games" when you are already in an unstable situation sounds like a death sentence and the "if you have problems, we don't want you" line sounds like stuck-up ******baggery to me. [/end futile sob story rant]
Hey, want to hear a similar sob story? I've had unstable internet for a month. I knew what the issue was 1 week in. My only internet option was Comcast (or dial-up...but **** that). My internet will cut randomly for a 1 minute.

What did I do? Played short games and yelled at Comcast a lot. Also, spammed a lot of complaint emails.

While a system is never perfect, I really don't see how your personal issue implies a problem with the system.

Does it suck when you have unstable internet? Yes. Oh god, yes.

But there are other games to play where having unstable internet isn't a problem.

In the last month, I played a lot of TF2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaMythril View Post
I've had them come by several times, the signal in the line looks good and the techs confirmed it. My research online has lead me to believe that one of their nodes (cable internet) is having trouble with my Motorola Surfboard 6120 DOCSYS 3.0 modem (even though it is supported). A friend of mine across town has the exact same modem and has no issues. I've tried to relay that information to the cable company but apparently none of the tech support people I've talked to seem to have a firm grasp of their own systems.
I have a Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSYS 3.0 modem. A tech came out 1 week in and told me that all SB6120 and SB6121 are having problems. Didn't get a replacement until three weeks later last Friday.

The problem started when they did a network upgrade. They've done it in the past in other areas and the same problem happened. Why is the problem still going on? Hell if I know.

Solution in the end? I complained constantly and Comcast gave me one of their modems to use until the issue is fixed.

Currently, watching my bill to make sure they don't charge me for that ****.

Kirge Opie

07-27-2012

I just got a leaver level 1 when I force-quit my game after several minutes of another summoner at zero percent. Is there an eventual time-out if another player fails to load properly? I never get lag, so I know it wasn't my end. Other summoners and myself loaded up fine. =/

ragnaraq

07-27-2012

I think the leaver-buster system works well. I've almost never had any intentional leavers. Though it's kind of annoying when something comes up. I've only had around 4-5 leaves total and only been banned for a one day ban. So I think your system works fine. I feel bad for people with bad internet etc. but there isn't much to do but try to fix that problem.

Only Ziggs

08-09-2012

how can i make my ban level go down

Shah Senpai

12-15-2012

My parents force me off the computer so i have to leave the match so now my leaver level is 1 Is there a possibilty of me being banned anytime soon?

AdgharKH

12-15-2012

I'm not sure why custom games aren't suggested more often. Panzer, it sounds like you mostly chewed out the first responder instead of offering the custom game solution

Custom games won't help people who want to lower their LeaverBuster level, but it does offer a chance to play league when you're the type of person who will frequently need to leave games. (Again, with the caveat that you should make sure your teammates understand that you frequently need to leave games, otherwise you would get reported).

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

12-15-2012

I'm not going to bother going back to remember what I said in a thread that is four months old... it's really not worth my time when necroing isn't something that should be encouraged.

That said, custom games (without any other players, just you and bots) allow you to test your connection and play when your connection is iffy. If you know your connection is iffy, I don't care how much you want to play, you don't deserve to get your leaver level lowered. Instead, don't be a jerk, plenty of us have had times where we couldn't play due to connectivity issues.

TwistWrist

12-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdgharKH View Post
I'm not sure why custom games aren't suggested more often. Panzer, it sounds like you mostly chewed out the first responder instead of offering the custom game solution
Mostly chewed out?

I don't think you know what "chewed out" means then.