Leaver Levels

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Churel

07-12-2012

Is there any way to appeal disciplinary action associated with your level? I get the need to punish rage quitters and people who just quit to hinder the team, but those aren't the only reasons people quit.

I'm not sure what it takes to get up to level one. If you just have to quit two games then I know how I got there. One night the first bolt of lighting in a storm (meaning I didn't know it was coming so I couldn't have waited until it was over to start a game) caused my power to flash (and being unable to control the weather, that was beyond my control) and I had to leave one game because my parents needed me at their house immediately (which I could have finished the game, but it would have caused a lot of problems).

If it takes more than that then I'm not sure what's going on, unless it's counting the time I spend at the store as AFK time.

Punishing rage quitters and trolls ends up punishing people who have a legitimate reason to leave, such as people who lose power, a hiccup with their ISP, first responders, etc. Now I get that because it's easier to have an automated system in place than it is to review every individual case, but if there's no way to appeal you might as well leave the punishments up to a random number generator, as legitimate events that can cause a person to leave are usually random.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-12-2012

There is no such thing as a legitimate reason to leave.

So you're a first responder. That's great, and I appreciate the work you do. That said, when you're on call and decide to play a game that requires all players to finish through to the end, you're the one taking that risk.

You have issues with your ISP. That's not the other player's or Riot's responsibility. Either call your ISP and tell them their service is unacceptable, or find another ISP. If your internet isn't reliable (you can't get a better ISP), then this might not be the game for you. (A reliable platform is a basic requirement for multi-player games.)

Power outages. Out of your control yes, but similar to ISP, this is part of your platform. Most of the time you know when there's a high risk of losing power, and when something like the outage in the past two weeks, there are other things that have priority.

In summary, when you have a priority higher than the game that's fine, but then admit to yourself that you have other priorities.

Churel

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
In summary, when you have a priority higher than the game that's fine, but then admit to yourself that you have other priorities.
That's the core issue with this game. People play it as a diversion. Yet we're expected to have the same dedication to a game in progress as a job. I get that for ranked games, as I'm starting to get a vague understanding of what's at stake in the tournaments, but many of us specifically avoid ranked games.

Everquest was losing subscribers because if they had to log out before being able to reach a safe zone they could be killed up to five minutes offline with experience and possible equipment loss. When WoW came out Sony actually lost potential subscribers solely because of that reputation.

When a game gets a reputation for punishing people who put real life before pixels on a screen it shows in their finances. Punish people because they don't have a set schedule to earn a living or because their crappy ISP has a monopoly in the region or because the only electric company available in the area offers shoddy service resulting in power flashes? There goes revenue from skins, people who use real world money to unlock champions, and possibly even tournament entry fees.

And as the reputation gets out people who would be spending their money on those things will simply go elsewhere. Doesn't seem like a very sound business model.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-12-2012

It's not about dedication, it's about time management and respect for your fellow players. If you want something to kill time where you can leave as you wish, play a single player game, or one where there's no in-game progression each game - play something like CoD where you can replace players at the drop of a dime.

TwistWrist

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churel View Post
That's the core issue with this game. People play it as a diversion. Yet we're expected to have the same dedication to a game in progress as a job. I get that for ranked games, as I'm starting to get a vague understanding of what's at stake in the tournaments, but many of us specifically avoid ranked games.

Everquest was losing subscribers because if they had to log out before being able to reach a safe zone they could be killed up to five minutes offline with experience and possible equipment loss. When WoW came out Sony actually lost potential subscribers solely because of that reputation.

When a game gets a reputation for punishing people who put real life before pixels on a screen it shows in their finances. Punish people because they don't have a set schedule to earn a living or because their crappy ISP has a monopoly in the region or because the only electric company available in the area offers shoddy service resulting in power flashes? There goes revenue from skins, people who use real world money to unlock champions, and possibly even tournament entry fees.

And as the reputation gets out people who would be spending their money on those things will simply go elsewhere. Doesn't seem like a very sound business model.
Meh.

LoL officially the most played PC game in the world.

Your opinion about what is a good business model is clearly not reflective of reality.

Quite frankly, LeaverBuster helps LoL reputation.

What's this? The game I dedicate time and money does things to discourage people from ****ing up games? Hmmm, sounds like a good thing to me.

Game doesn't even punish you have every leave. It punishes habitual leavers. Don't leave too much and you'll be fine.

GON the Mage Guy

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churel View Post
Doesn't seem like a very sound business model.
A MOBA isn't the same as an MMORPG. Have you played any other game in the MOBA genre, or a Real Time Strategy game? It's not something that you can generally pop in and out of if you're playing with other people. It's the equivalent of a surgical team operating on someone, and one doctor says "Sorry guys, wife wants me to pick up bread from the store now. See ya." Granted games don't deal with life or death situations, however the principle is still the same: You're leaving the team without a teammate and making it incredibly difficult to win regardless of the reason you left.

As far as a sound business model, pretty sure it's working, considering they're the most played PC game in the world right now.

LeaverBuster works off a very straightforward rule: Leaving is bad. It accounts for sometimes leaving. If one catastrophe after another keeps you from not leaving a game, either this may not be the type of game for you, or you have bigger problems than the game to deal with.

EDIT: TwistWrist ninja'd on the article.

TitaniumXknight

07-17-2012

i am playing this game from 3rd june and i have spent about 3 weeks in suspension or more than that first i got a bug splat due to which i got suspended the i got runtime errors in the game due to which i got suspended + i live in india where there is a problem of electricity cuts due to which again i got suspended currently i have got 2 problems 1st runtime error and second electricity cuts due to which my game ends either i have to reconnect if it is runtime error and if it is an electricity cuts i get a leave in the match history ,i have also reported this to support 2 times but both times they just gave me a single letter again and again which didnt help me a bit please help me ,its a request

TitaniumXknight

07-17-2012

i am playing this game from 3rd june and i have spent about 3 weeks in suspension or more than that first i got a bug splat due to which i got suspended the i got runtime errors in the game due to which i got suspended + i live in india where there is a problem of electricity cuts due to which again i got suspended currently i have got 2 problems 1st runtime error and second electricity cuts due to which my game ends either i have to reconnect if it is runtime error and if it is an electricity cuts i get a leave in the match history ,i have also reported this to support 2 times but both times they just gave me a single letter again and again which didnt help me a bit please help me ,its a request please help me :"(

MetaMythril

07-17-2012

I'm curious if the AFK detection works on just movement. Would a player get dinged if they spent 30-60 seconds at base trying to buy equip? I try to spend as little time as possible shopping but sometimes I get lost in the shop menu system. They really need something better than having to drill up and down several layers to get to certain items as I'm learning that the default recommendations aren't the best.

I wish there was something better than JUST "play games to erode your leaver level". I do have a peculiar internet issue where the ISP's load balancing causes my internet to drop for about 30-45 seconds. I've be able to rejoin every time that has occurred. Normally my internet plays nice and I've been able to play a number of games without interruption. Regional telco monopolies not withstanding, I understand the need for such a system and just wish there was something more like a "cooling off" period where you could just sit out for a while. The idea that you need to "play more games" when you are already in an unstable situation sounds like a death sentence and the "if you have problems, we don't want you" line sounds like stuck-up ******baggery to me. [/end futile sob story rant]

On the suggestion of playing custom games to avoid getting leaver dings. Does playing custom games work toward clearing your leaver level? If so, that seems like good way for unintentional leavers work off their leaver status in a safer environment.

Again, I understand the importance of the leaver system and so far I haven't managed to trigger anything with my three total disconnects (two of them being in one game) where I promptly rejoined. With each of those games I've managed to even pull out wins with me scoring near the top of the team (barring any smurf activity). I'm just hoping I can continue to enjoy this game that I've just come around to playing. I've heard of LoL for a long time and never really gave it much thought, but now I've gotten to playing quite regularly and am enjoying the game very much and don't want that ruined by someone's vision of a "flawless" automated system. People need to bear in mind that no system is flawless (speaking as a programmer) and anyone that says otherwise is simply arrogant.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-17-2012

There's no exact data on how the afk detection system works, details on such would defeat the purpose of having a system like that in the first place.

That said, you'll be fine unless you take an obscenely long time every time you go back to shop. There are also some things you can do to speed up your shopping trip:
- Figure out what items you might want on a champion, and either write them down on a piece of paper or type them in a text file if you have a second monitor. Make sure to include the steps to find them, and what scenarios you might want them. Really, anything that will make your shopping trip faster, but try to keep it short and simple.
- Get your next purchase lined up while running to lane, moving to gank, or hiding by your tower waiting for cds or some regen.

You'll eventually be able to find things faster, but these and some other crutches can help smooth things over until you get to that point.

It's my understanding that custom games don't affect the leaver buster at all, and that's as it should be. You shouldn't get to leave custom games only to have doing so allow you to leave more matched games. Also, note that you can still be reported for custom games, so it's better to run them either against bots for practice, or with friends (or pugs) who are understanding that you 'may' have an issue depending on your ISP.

Disconnecting briefly is lame, but it isn't the end of the world. A disconnect doesn't make a leave, as essentially that's a misnomer. Think of a 'leave' as being 'idle for X% of the game,' with that somewhere in the 25-33% range, though I'm pulling those numbers out of my arssssenic.

How much effort have you put into trying to get that issue resolved? It sounds like you know what it is, and there may be nothing you can do, but I'd contact Riot's support staff and ask for some tips. Sometimes all it takes is pressuring your ISP to fix their stuff.