Any readers out here?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Woblenopsky

03-23-2012

Title. What kind of books to you guys like? What are you reading now?

Right now I'm reading The Galactic Mage by John Daulton. If you like High Fantasy or Sci-Fi (or both!), you should DEFINITELY check it out.

Reading general thread!

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's fairly new, so you have to go to Amazon or its Facebook page to check it out. https://www.facebook.com/GalacticMage

Rahgar

03-23-2012

I'm more of a sci-fi guy. Dune and its sequels are among my favorite books, although I do like some fantasy, like DragonLance and Conan.

Can't say I'm currently reading a book, but I did finish the Hunger Games a few days ago. Great read.

Revanence

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2012

I've read the many of the Dune books as well! Though the first book is without doubt the best among them. I'm not sure if its that Brian & Kevin arent as good as Frank or if the series is just kind of a dead project. Though the Butlerian Jihad rivals the original Dune imo.

One of my favorite authors is Jim Butcher who has a few really good series. The first of which is The Dresden Files. The books are amazing, especially the ones about Fallen Angels. But I really love how he writes, making things feel so tangible yet he writes about such things as Vampires and the Fae. Another of his series is the Codex of Alera. It's kind of involved and the first novel is pretty slow but it's also pretty good.

I've really enjoyed A Song of Fire and Ice. For those of you who have no idea what that is its the Game of Thrones series. Anyways, the plot to this is much more political then anything I've read in the past. There's alot of give and take and backtracking to certain points to explain things currently happening. The one thing I abhor about this series is how often the "bad" guys seem to win. But all in all, I suggest reading it if fantasy is your thing.

Robert Jordan. Yeh I was just getting to The Wheel of Time. Probably my favorite series in all of literature though its a dragged out story that could have been finished long ago. Anyways, with 12-13 books in the series as well as memorable characters and a fantastic story I'd recommend this to anyone as well. Probably over Game of Thrones, though Wheel of Time is quite the financial investment. It's well worth it though.

My favorite book ever is The Count of Monte Christo. I had to read it in high school but I've read it 4 or 5 times since and I always enjoy it. I find myself liking the movie more just because I really hate to see how Edmund throws everything away in it. Revenge is cool but truly tragic.

Ender's Game is also an amazing book. I hear they are making a movie out of it but i suggest you read the book as well as the sequels. Ender's Shadow is pretty interesting as well, which is told from a different perspective and was refreshing to read.

Powerstoned

03-23-2012

go read Snow Crash

Epsilon2012

03-24-2012

I've read 40 book on my Nook since I got it for christmas....
-I download them for free off random sites though, so I've saved myself over $400 in eBooks...

Woblenopsky

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
go read Snow Crash
What's Snow Crash about? o:

Also, after I finish what I'm reading now, I'm gonna jump on the Hunger Games bandwagon and read it. I've heard it's really good, so why not? Lol.

Revanence

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

I've actually read Snow Crash, though it was quite a long time ago. Anyways, it's about drugs and hackers. The book described a virtual world and the real world quite well. I may have to go revisit it as well, been far too long. If memory serves however it was a great read.

Powerstoned

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanence View Post
I've actually read Snow Crash, though it was quite a long time ago. Anyways, it's about drugs and hackers. The book described a virtual world and the real world quite well. I may have to go revisit it as well, been far too long. If memory serves however it was a great read.
It's the first good contemporary, and imo the best, "cyberpunk" novel. The neat thing is it was written in 91 and yet it was so forward thinking enough, to be able to describe an "internet" that we will see come into reality in the next 20-50 years. It's got a very fleshed out world of the future and internet of the future that's pretty fun. Most of the creators of early MMOs credit Snow Crash as partial inspiration to what they aspire their products to be.

Some of it is about 2 future drugs, one for the internet/metaverse, the other for our reality. Some of the book dives into the history of language for humanity, looking for an ancient one that controls the brain and people on a more basic level.
It's also a commentary on racism, nationalism, capitalism, and what the future is for the poor vs rich.

Jaykoboy

03-26-2012

I'm more of a classic book guy.

I've read the Illiad, Odyssey, Othello, all that sort of stuff.

But the book I've read most recent (excluding Les Miserables, for a school project) is actually 'The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Complete Collection),' which is utterly ridiculous. One of the best book series I've read in a long time. And one parting line:

We apologize for the inconvenience.

BloBBZ

03-26-2012

You should read the Rangers Apprentice series. It is not unrealistic with magic and that kind of stuff but great anyways.
Also the Inheritance Cycle is great as well. (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance). Or even Stories from The Edge.
All great series. Can strongly recommend them.
Is Hunger Games a good book because I want to read it?