League of Legends WORKING on Linux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cdeuce

Senior Systems Administrator

04-30-2012
4 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaaPPY View Post
I cant seem to find the /home/[user]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/ anywhere. I replaced the user with the acutally user but still nothing. ):
Do you have /home/[user]/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ maybe?

Larrik Jaerico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2012

Are you guys running into an issue where the game runs great at first, but at 15-20 minutes in, it becomes unplayably slow (even with nothing special going on)?

I've seen tips that say to patch wine before building it, but I'd really like to avoid that.

cdeuce

04-30-2012
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrik Jaerico View Post
Are you guys running into an issue where the game runs great at first, but at 15-20 minutes in, it becomes unplayably slow (even with nothing special going on)?

I've seen tips that say to patch wine before building it, but I'd really like to avoid that.
I've seen this problem myself in the two games I've played to completion so far. In one of the games the last 5 minutes (of a 45 minute game) was so "lurchy" that it was hard to tell what was really going on. I get the feeling that it has to do with the video buffer, but I have no hard evidence of that yet. I didn't have a chance to play around with this over the weekend but I plan to spend a little time on it this week if possible.

One solution would be to just finish all games in under 20 minutes - j/k

Larrik Jaerico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeuce View Post
I've seen this problem myself in the two games I've played to completion so far. In one of the games the last 5 minutes (of a 45 minute game) was so "lurchy" that it was hard to tell what was really going on. I get the feeling that it has to do with the video buffer, but I have no hard evidence of that yet. I didn't have a chance to play around with this over the weekend but I plan to spend a little time on it this week if possible.

I found this thread:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1834000

which seems to imply its a memory leak (I have 12 gigs, though), and that it doesn't happen in Dominion for some reason.

I haven't tried Dominion just yet, since I've been sticking to customs against bots for now and letting the game run.

(Also, you are my first red quote! Very appropriate that it would be about Linux.)

FOODFOOD

04-30-2012

This is great. I just got the new Ubuntu distro, so I'll be trying this asap.

Werewolf Link

Recruiter

04-30-2012

Quote:

This happens for the Mac Clients as well. So it's possible some way the game/server is coded affects all Non Windows OS.

cdeuce

04-30-2012
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Any interest in getting a game together at some point using our linux clients? I don't feel comfortable enough with the performance to play live games yet, but maybe a Co-Op or practice game? Evenings (PDT) is easiest for me, and I can't always predict my availability - but if we schedule something then I have a much better chance.

@Larrik - glad I could be your first red quoter

cdeuce

04-30-2012
7 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
This is great. I just got the new Ubuntu distro, so I'll be trying this asap.
FWIW, I'm still on 10.04. Haven't had chance to try this on a 11.x/12.x distro yet. Curious if anyone else has tried and sees any improvement.

Larrik Jaerico

04-30-2012

Quote:
FWIW, I'm still on 10.04. Haven't had chance to try this on a 11.x/12.x distro yet. Curious if anyone else has tried and sees any improvement.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I was surprised at how well it did work, except for this one issue. (And the health bar and recall bars always being full. And the IP/RP store not working.)

If you need to install directly instead of pulling a finished folder you need to do the following:

GC_DONT_GC=1 wine LeagueofLegends.exe

Mokai

04-30-2012

Hippie Zilean is nice and all, but for posting so much in a Linux thread cdeuce deserves himself a Hipster Zilean icon.