League of Legends WORKING on Linux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PCalx

02-15-2013

So I got it up and running using this guide
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2957372

Everything runs fine except there are light beams of various colors that shoot out of my character and other things randomly. Its playable but annoying any idea on how to fix this graphics glitch?

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6070
NVIDIA GeForce 310M
Ubuntu 12.10

Aeariyion

02-16-2013

Note: command 'cabextract -q -F inseng.dll /home/beast/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_ie6/IE 6.0 Full/ACTSETUP.CAB' returned status 1. Aborting.

What i got when i typed "winetricks ie6" in terminal

can post the entire code if needed, but this is the end of it.

Elder Bitstream

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCalx View Post
Everything runs fine except there are light beams of various colors that shoot out of my character and other things randomly. Its playable but annoying any idea on how to fix this graphics glitch?
If your Wine is set to emulate Windows 7, try changing it to Windows XP. It sounds like you are experiencing the graphics tearing problem that seems to happen when Wine is set to emulate Windows 7. (It affects nVidia chipsets, not just ATI.)

Elder Bitstream

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by laochuangtzu View Post
I've gotten the launcher to start, but it won't go past the "Calculating Differences" step at the beginning. I'm certain the folder I have is up to date, though I'm not sure if that's relevant. Any ideas?
My experience has been that this tends to happen about half the time when starting the launcher. I just close the launcher and start it again until it succeeds.

I think Xatulu mentioned actually blowing away the client to force a full update, but my experience was that updates tend to stall out half the time as well (and, unfortunately, it takes a lot longer before you realize the update is not going to finish successfully).

PCalx

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder Bitstream View Post
If your Wine is set to emulate Windows 7, try changing it to Windows XP. It sounds like you are experiencing the graphics tearing problem that seems to happen when Wine is set to emulate Windows 7. (It affects nVidia chipsets, not just ATI.)
Thanks that fix seemed to have worked. I am now getting bug splat errors when I try to open the in game store anyone have any ideas on what is causing that?

Elder Bitstream

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCalx View Post
Thanks that fix seemed to have worked. I am now getting bug splat errors when I try to open the in game store anyone have any ideas on what is causing that?
Sadly, I still haven't got the in-game store to work at all. Seems to be an issue with Wine's handling of the security certificate chain.

Here are the related bugs cited in the Wine App Database:

#31159: League of Legends: store doesn't load with builtin wininet
The bug thread suggests that native wininet may allow things to work, but I've been using that since the beginning and still get just a black screen (at best) or a client crash (at worst). Tonight, I switched to builtin wininet, just for kicks. Now when enter the in-game store, I get a couple Security Warnings regarding the certs, followed by a black screen, but at least it hasn't outright crashed on me yet.

#27036: League of Legends store crashes with an assertion
I have done any tests with the patch in this bug report. Some evening when I'm feeling more adventurous....

I get the impression that some people have managed to get parts of the in-game store working, except for runes. Buying runes, it seems, is widely regarded as universally broke under Wine.

WTB an out-of-game way to purchase stuff for my summoner.

Pevira

02-19-2013

Hey thanks!!!! Awesome! Not as fast as it is when I run it under Windows, of course, but still, that is pre-minion spawn bragging rights!!!

Boompje

Senior Wrenchmen

02-21-2013

Hey guys,

I have unstickied this since the guide is incomplete and not up to date. I recommend you use PlayOnLinux . Patches you need can be gotten from www.boompje.net/xLoL/ or http://uz.sns.it/~ranma42/iLoL/

Feel free to contact me through boompje@boompje.net when this guide is complete again.

L1ke a sir

Recruiter

03-04-2013

I did everything right, except when it came to the last part i was stumped.

[code: cd "/home/[USER]/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system"
(changes directory to where you have LoL folder installed)

code: WINEDEBUG=+ntdll wine "rads_user_kernel.exe" run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
(runs program under debug mode)]

Right here it didnt work for me, where it says its changing the directory, when i enter that in terminal it comes up saying that there is no such file or directory. im also a new linux user, so i have no idea what im doing, though i do know up to right here ive done it right. please help

Mischka

03-05-2013

Can I just ask what everyone who has gotten it working is seeing in terms of performance? Mine's working fine via the POL install, but I'm just curious as to why my fps is ~40 all the time even though my cpu and gpu aren't even breaking a sweat. If everyone is getting similar performance I can assume it's just wined3d or something unrelated to my config, but everything I've tried hasn't helped at all.

Thanks!