@Riot: A Dominion Story

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arowan

Member

03-28-2012

The problem is, when you act confrontational, it makes people angry so that they don't seriously think about and contemplate your arguments. There's nothing wrong with being polite about it. It will make you seem more intelligent and rational in the process.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

Senior Member

03-28-2012

It's a a tight rope, Arowan. I agree that many completely shut down any receptivity of an argument approached with a confrontational or aggravated attitude.

On the flip side, being well thought-out, calm and reasonable is easily and often ignored.

There's a balance that one (or many) must strike to be heard, and that requires confidence with an astute sternness that can not be mistaken for aggravated confrontation, while remaining difficult to ignore. It's very easy to make one small word change and overstep either boundary, invalidating your entire argument to a majority or more importantly, the target of the argument.

That said, caps and swearing has certainly overstepped the 'aggravated confrontation' boundary. However, I don't think being 'polite' is the right way to go either. Respectful, certainly, but polite... eh. I think we're past polite.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

avatarofrandom

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Again, not my problem if people can't see my point. Nor do I care about how intelligent people think I may be; I don't need the approval of men.

I have a point and yes, while I could have been polite, my emotions need to be shared as well as my point. Riot and others need to know that I'm not happy with the current state of match making, dominion, and the Riot staff. They need to know I'm emotionally frustrated as well as logically infuriated. Also, there was no argument from me. I simply stated data and posed a question for Riot that will never get answers.

People are so afraid of offending somebody but that's what needs to happen for things to change. Asking nicely obviously doesn't work... proof in the 30 pages before some jack-off hypocritically moves the thread to Dominion. **** Tamat's worthless ass. **** Riot. And **** people who are offended by curse words and emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
IIt's very easy to make one small word change and overstep either boundary, invalidating your entire argument to a majority or more importantly, the target of the argument.
Getting aggressive doesn't make the argument that match making is broken any less valid. Whether you say it politely or aggressively, match making is broken. If somebody disagrees because there are curse words and caps, then they're ****ing retarded and shouldn't be involved in any debates or discussions ever because they have no logical reasoning. Logic. Data. Analysis. That's what settles arguments. The data is out there and Riot and others have ignored it. That's when it's time to be aggressive.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

Senior Member

03-28-2012

It's really not a matter of being offended. You can throw every word in the book at me, and I won't be offended.

I will, however, assume you're a raging imbecile and nothing you say holds any value. (Not that I'm saying you're an imbecile, avatar, just speaking in generalities.) Whether or not that is true doesn't really matter to me at the time, I just don't want to hear/read it anymore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

avatarofrandom

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Oh I am raging. Again, doesn't make my point any less valid. And if you switch to the mode where "nothing I say holds any value" then you don't need to be involved in the discussion because it would appear you lack the proper logical reasoning skills. If you can't look past emotions to the truth, then you're not worth my time (not that I'm saying this about you, but just speaking in generalities).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skeeep

Senior Member

03-28-2012

You assume RIOT has any interest in having a civil argument with their player-base. They are God and do not care about us. They have no desire to give the community what it wants unless it is a guaranteed moneymaker.

Q: When have they ever stepped up to the plate and helped out a small minority of players?

A: NEVER


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Huniz

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatarofrandom View Post
...
So please, don't tell me I have a one track mind when I have a MUCH better grasp about the numbers than you. And to whine about being too competitive... ****ing wow....
First off I said you are looking at it, they mean entirely different things. HAVING a one track mind means you will always think that way, no matter what. LOOKING with a one track mind means you have the ability to understand complex ideas but you refusing to do it on this certain issue. And your response in the way you formatted your "speech" clearly shows the "HAVING" part, you seem blindsided by all of this and instead of just stepping back, you keep pushing and pushing.

Now you look rather silly for your long winded rant, when I wasn't disagreeing with you but merely giving light as to why the devs *might* be doing what they are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeep View Post
You assume RIOT has any interest in having a civil argument with their player-base. They are God and do not care about us. They have no desire to give the community what it wants unless it is a guaranteed moneymaker.

Q: When have they ever stepped up to the plate and helped out a small minority of players?

A: NEVER
Not that I'm defending Riot but...

...Colorblind mode couldn't have been for a majority

But, that affected the SR community too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatarofrandom View Post
Oh I am raging. Again, doesn't make my point any less valid. And if you switch to the mode where "nothing I say holds any value" then you don't need to be involved in the discussion because it would appear you lack the proper logical reasoning skills. If you can't look past emotions to the truth, then you're not worth my time (not that I'm saying this about you, but just speaking in generalities).
I'm not looking to pick a fight. We're all pissed off here. No one is happy with the way Riot is handling Dominion, and in no way am I downplaying your emotions. It's obvious you're passionate about the issue at hand. I'm merely advising on an effective means of channeling that emotion in to a narrative post that is meaningful to more than just a handful of people, but the community and Riot at large. Take it with a grain of salt. You're a much better and more experienced player than I am; I want your opinion to be valued.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Astronautical

Senior Member

03-29-2012

Man Tamat that response was lame.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

Senior Member

03-29-2012

^ Agreed, and +1.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huniz View Post
ust saying, you're looking at it with a one track mind, claiming it because "how how terrible match making was", really shoots yourself in the foot. If you want to be taken seriously, act like the game mode doesn't suck and treat it with an open mind. Lord knows the devs *do*, but we don't know what happens behind closed doors, and claiming rash things only makes it look worse.

Let's say you turn in a paper for a class, and didn't spell check or grammar checked it at all, and you got a rather low grade but the teacher gave you the option to redo the paper, would you not take your time with it make sure you got a better grade?
It's pretty easily to classify when a group of players *feels* significantly better or worse than you. Now, without e-peen numbers to math this out by, we're stuck classifying matches as either 'good' or 'bad' feeling, but it's still a definite thing - Play with or against a group of people significantly distant from your skill level and tell me it was a fun game. In my experience, it never is.


And as for the analogy of school, is dependent on the effort you put in - Riot is more of the entertainment sort, so I'd compare them to a circus:

The circus used to have elephants (Elo) but now the elephant died - would you still go? There's trapeeze artists still, and they're pretty cool, but if you wanted to go for the elephants, you're out of luck - no do-over option here, just an elephant-less circus.