@Riot: A Dominion Story

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skeeep

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
The question of ranked in Dominion is bigger than just flipping a switch and turning it on. Our ultimate goal is to create a really solid experience for players, and before we make changes to our services we always evaluate how it will affect our players first. Since a lot can still change with our plans for Dominion, the live design team isn't really comfortable talking about specifics yet.

Our goal with Dominion has always been to create a powerful and engaging game mode that pushes the envelope of the MOBA genre. There are lots of ways to approach that, and we don't want to talk about something you might not actually see in the game. That's never a good experience for you as a player.

That doesn't mean we're sitting still, though; it just means we're keeping our work behind closed doors until it's strong enough to be examined and scrutinized. I appreciate how passionate you guys are and that you took the time to post your concerns in this thread. Sorry for the "no comment," but I hope I've at least given you some insight into how we think about problems and how much we care about our players' experiences in League. (Hell, they put it in my title.)
If is is that case that you actually care about Dominion, I doubt it is, you took too much time and people are leaving the mod in droves.
The fact that this thread was moved just proves that you are indeed not intending for Dominion to be a major part of LoL. You do not plan to improve the mod and do not intend to have more people play Dominion. You moved this GENERAL thread from GENERAL forums just to hide it.

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

Here is one of my huges concerns... If we don't get ranked soon, Dominion is screwed. Look at all the new games coming out. LoL will be losing a lot of their players just because of that, and the Dominion player base is too small to be able to afford to lose any players. I can go down my friends list and see "Guild Wars 2" or "Diablo 3" on plenty of their statuses. And I only have Dominion players on my friends list now. So i'm fearing for the worst.

Phourc

03-27-2012

Well, new games are alway going to be new and distracting, but League is something you can play a lot longer than most games - and it's not like you have to pay a monthly fee for it even though you made a bunch of characters with your friends and they rarely play *cough* TOR *cough*...

Anyway, we did learn a good bit from this adventure, if nothing else:

- Riot *is* working on Dominion, or at the very least they have changes "on their radar". Now, they weren't close enough to being done that they fell comfortable telling us what they were, but we have seen almost-complete game modes (Magma Chamber) become something completely different as Riot tried out what they *thought* was needed and decided whether or not it was as awesome as it should be xP

- Riot does know that they were hurting the community hiding normal Elo, but felt the positives outweighed the negatives. This was the big one I honestly wasn't sure about - it should have been changed by a small bug-fix group that may or may not have paid any attention to the Dominion scene.

- Reds *will* respond to Dominion questions, which is awesome - though this phenomena may be limited to posts made in the General forum to tell us to stop making posts in the general forum, which would be terrible xP

- Some people may be quitting, but it does seem like others are joining the dominion community. I've seen a lot of new names in here this past week, and as someone who loves the Dominion game-mode, that is awesome.

Of course, we learned some bad things, too:

- Dominion topics apparently have no place in General Discussion. Anyone worth their tinfoil hat will see this as Riot actively trying to divert interest from Dominion.

- Being able to view Normal Elo was apparently negative for the community, which is news to me. I'd love some clarification on this, but it appears to be something like "Normal means no Elo" - which probably makes a lot more sense in modes with seperate ranked modes xP

- There's no real indication of ranked dominion coming, Riot may be aware that their players want it, but there's still no indication that it'll launch before season 3 - which would be sometime like next December?

- We don't know what Riot is actually working on for Dominion, though I'm sure we all have our theories - the respawn system has some exploits, there's some characters that don't translate well from SR, I think new items were promised once upon a time and, you know, ranked would be really neat. I guess we'll just have to wait and see xP

Dunno, what do you guys think?

TakinTheHeat

03-27-2012

I'd pay a monthly fee of 10 to 15 max dollars a month to keep all runes/champions/some skins maybe unlocked for sure.

On topic: The only way showing elo was a problem is because matchmaking sucks. So instead of fixing it, they just remove elo. That's why I think they don't care. Nobody saw someone ten elo lower than them and dodged. Nobody saw someone 100 elo lower than them and dodged. It was always extreme cases of 2200 players getting matched with 1200 players. Fix it? Nah, just disable it. **** Dominion, right? I mean, its not like anyone whose JOB it is to FIX dominion actually responds to us. It's just the people who want us to shut the **** up. The members of the live team who are SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING ON IT? I bet they visit the Dominion Forum once a month, probably on accident.

nguyenmb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Dominion topics apparently have no place in General Discussion.
This bothers me as well. I don't think Riot is explicitly trying to do this. I think their philosophy is that the 'community' decides what belongs in 'General Discussion' and since most of the community only want to talk about SR, they flag every dominion post in that forum.

This unfortunately makes it impossible for a minority group to gain visibility.

Kukulkan

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenmb View Post
This unfortunately makes it impossible for a minority group to gain visibility.
Only thing that comes to my mind would be to all create a thread on GD and keep it bumped so it's all dominion threads that might get riot's attention, that would be a last resource though

Phourc

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenmb View Post
This bothers me as well. I don't think Riot is explicitly trying to do this. I think their philosophy is that the 'community' decides what belongs in 'General Discussion' and since most of the community only want to talk about SR, they flag every dominion post in that forum.
This bothers me as well -

The community can downvote Dominion threads into being closed (and I do believe they have), but they do not have the ability to actually move threads - each and every one that has been moved out of GD has been the work of a Rioter.

So do I tinfoil hat tiem now? I haven't really decided, but Tamat's response sure felt awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulkan View Post
Only thing that comes to my mind would be to all create a thread on GD and keep it bumped so it's all dominion threads that might get riot's attention, that would be a last resource though
Viktoree's got a good one going, feel free to keep his bumped: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1833768

And it hasn't been moved yet xP

Viktoree

03-27-2012

Quote:
This bothers me as well -

The community can downvote Dominion threads into being closed (and I do believe they have), but they do not have the ability to actually move threads - each and every one that has been moved out of GD has been the work of a Rioter.

So do I tinfoil hat tiem now? I haven't really decided, but Tamat's response sure felt awful

Viktoree's got a good one going, feel free to keep his bumped: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1833768

I'm cooking up another that shouldn't get moved either, and it should help Riot figure out what's wrong with Dominion (from a players perspective).

RealWolf M

03-27-2012

The thing is, all the KNOWN Dom htreads don't even get downvoted, so it isn't that overall public doesn't like them.

There are a couple of VOCAL minorities from SR who mock Dominion, but all of these threads people know of like Phourcs (before moved), Viktoree's, etc, are all over +100

Kukulkan

03-27-2012

Quote:

I think I didn't explain myself quite well, what I meant to say is for each and everyone of us to create a different thread, so the front page would have a lot of domion threads, that's why I say it would be a last resource, but it would show that we are asking (or demanding) to be taken into consideration