@Riot: A Dominion Story

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manigliométro

03-26-2012

Over 400 dominions on my main eu account.
i only have one request: if you put ranked dominion games, NEVER PUT SOLO QUEUE. Only team mode.
Victory on dominion is much more dependant on picks and teamwork than classic: if you create solo queue dominion, mass rage and frustration will be realeased among the players.

Montag

Player Experience Manager

03-26-2012
5 of 5 Riot Posts

The question of ranked in Dominion is bigger than just flipping a switch and turning it on. Our ultimate goal is to create a really solid experience for players, and before we make changes to our services we always evaluate how it will affect our players first. Since a lot can still change with our plans for Dominion, the live design team isn't really comfortable talking about specifics yet.

Our goal with Dominion has always been to create a powerful and engaging game mode that pushes the envelope of the MOBA genre. There are lots of ways to approach that, and we don't want to talk about something you might not actually see in the game. That's never a good experience for you as a player.

That doesn't mean we're sitting still, though; it just means we're keeping our work behind closed doors until it's strong enough to be examined and scrutinized. I appreciate how passionate you guys are and that you took the time to post your concerns in this thread. Sorry for the "no comment," but I hope I've at least given you some insight into how we think about problems and how much we care about our players' experiences in League. (Hell, they put it in my title.)

urmamasllama

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
The question of ranked in Dominion is bigger than just flipping a switch and turning it on. Our ultimate goal is to create a really solid experience for players, and before we make changes to our services we always evaluate how it will affect our players first. Since a lot can still change with our plans for Dominion, the live design team isn't really comfortable talking about specifics yet.

Our goal with Dominion has always been to create a powerful and engaging game mode that pushes the envelope of the MOBA genre. There are lots of ways to approach that, and we don't want to talk about something you might not actually see in the game. That's never a good experience for you as a player.

That doesn't mean we're sitting still, though; it just means we're keeping our work behind closed doors until it's strong enough to be examined and scrutinized. I appreciate how passionate you guys are and that you took the time to post your concerns in this thread. Sorry for the "no comment," but I hope I've at least given you some insight into how we think about problems and how much we care about our players' experiences in League. (Hell, they put it in my title.)
what i understand of this is that while live has dom in mind they are still swamped with other projects (stealth rework) and before they turn on ranked they want to address some of the major balance issues left behind (extreme mobility champs)

FOODFOOD

03-26-2012

Quote:

Excellent post is excellent.

RealWolf M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

Quote:

Thats fine, we understand that, but there are other core issues which never get addressed unrelated to that. Things such as the Dominion bias for moving threads, where it feels like Riot is purposely hurting the community. Incase you missed it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWolf M View Post
I'm glad you are actually putting in a bit of effort.

But some huge questions still remain:

Why did it take this long to get a response? A 20 page thread in GD forums gets moved for NO reason besides an attempt to avoid the issue (Unless you are actually going to move GD threads, because currently it is just hypocritical). Then finally ricklessabandon gives a nicely worded response in his attempt to explain what he knows, obviously with his hands locked, after a HUGE angry response to Tamats. Notice how his post is incredibly down voted? There is a good reason for it.

What is the issue with ranked? The only concrete explanation that has been said is "We are waiting for it to mature", indeed it has been said by a red that the entire setup is ready, and they just have to "flip the switch" as it were. So what is it that is being waited for, because rather than getting mature, it is now getting old, to the point where a significant playerbase has left, and more is leaving daily. With no concrete response, no mention of anything happening, and MULTIPLE patches not only not effecting Dominion, but in some cases the patch changes make Dominion worse.

Why is there never any feedback on ANYTHING Dominion related? There are plenty of threads with significant Riot feedback about SR, about matchmaking for SR, about a champion (their role in SR really, no mention of Dominion). Infact on that point, has there ever been a champion made with a focus on Dominion? Oh, no, thats right, no mention.

Why has Dominion been removed from the Summoner Spotlights? While I don't think many people in the higher tiers of ELO, or the more active players are that concerned, this is definitely HELPING the idea that Dominion is unimportant, and no one cares. The fact that a very large portion of the LoL community watch these, regardless of quality, makes it feel like Riot just don't care about DOminion.

What is Riot doing to increase Dominion userbase, to help growth? There is nothing currently that anyone knows of. But on a more specific note, there are plenty of small things that Riot could do. Something as simple as making a post on the MAIN PAGE of PVP.net about the NESL dominion tournament. There is the Go4LoL post on there, which is a SR tourny with a huge response, and yet if there was a post about the Dominion tournament there would at least be a bit more response. If there was information about the NESL stream so people could watch the games. A simple thing that would give Dominion a nice boost. Or on a different tack, you could announce something like double IP week for Dominion. Theres two ideas I thought up, I'm sure the actual marketing people could do a lot better with their ideas.

And also, to add more info to the 'random moved thread' section, here are two well written posts.

The first, is a post about what is in GD (at the time of the post), and where it should be moved to, yet only the Dominion threads are moved consistently
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1953216

The second is a list of posts moved out of GD into Dom that really shouldn't be (note there are a lot more than this, this is just the list that was noticed)
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1731618

Hugs From Momma

03-26-2012

Quote:
Does this justify 5 months without any information, much less simple qol changes for the short term?

Iron Tyranno

03-26-2012

So I just want to know what is Riot's take on Dominion? Like what's wrong with it? Besides the ranked issue.

Viktoree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWolf M View Post

What is Riot doing to increase Dominion userbase, to help growth? There is nothing currently that anyone knows of. But on a more specific note, there are plenty of small things that Riot could do. Something as simple as making a post on the MAIN PAGE of PVP.net about the NESL dominion tournament. There is the Go4LoL post on there, which is a SR tourny with a huge response, and yet if there was a post about the Dominion tournament there would at least be a bit more response. If there was information about the NESL stream so people could watch the games. A simple thing that would give Dominion a nice boost. Or on a different tack, you could announce something like double IP week for Dominion. Theres two ideas I thought up, I'm sure the actual marketing people could do a lot better with their ideas.
Why should they do a **** thing? If the community really wanted growth they'd be doing more to make it happen and get noticed, but they don't. The majority of the community just sits around and *****es and moans about how Riot does nothing instead of working on ways/solutions to provide incentive for Riot to invest more heavily in Dominion.

I'm personally sick of all the *****ing and moaning, you know what we have a massive thread on the GD boards that was actually producing daily, visible results and what did the majority of the community do? Let it wither to the point where it's only kept alive by a small group still dedicated to the cause.

While the community that exists here is passionate about the game mode, for the most part they're also incredibly lazy about promoting it. Let me point out something vary obvious to you all one last time:

Riot will only pay attention to Dominion when the player-base is large enough, our player-base isn't large enough to be profitable as is and therefore Dominion isn't worth the time, effort, and money Summoner's Rift is.

The sooner you all accept this the sooner you can get off your arses and do something about it, because weather you like it or not, growing Dominion is up to the players and not Riot.

They took a calculated risk in making Dominion and thus-far it's failed, they will not invest more into Dominion until they have a reason to do so.

Bearforce

03-26-2012

Yeah totally those lazy good for nothing dominion players should stop moving their stuff out of GD.

fizzlebeef

03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktoree View Post
Why should they do a **** thing? If the community really wanted growth they'd be doing more to make it happen and get noticed, but they don't. The majority of the community just sits around and *****es and moans about how Riot does nothing instead of working on ways/solutions to provide incentive for Riot to invest more heavily in Dominion.

I'm personally sick of all the *****ing and moaning, you know what we have a massive thread on the GD boards that was actually producing daily, visible results and what did the majority of the community do? Let it wither to the point where it's only kept alive by a small group still dedicated to the cause.

While the community that exists here is passionate about the game mode, for the most part they're also incredibly lazy about promoting it. Let me point out something vary obvious to you all one last time:

Riot will only pay attention to Dominion when the player-base is large enough, our player-base isn't large enough to be profitable as is and therefore Dominion isn't worth the time, effort, and money Summoner's Rift is.

The sooner you all accept this the sooner you can get off your arses and do something about it, because weather you like it or not, growing Dominion is up to the players and not Riot.

They took a calculated risk in making Dominion and thus-far it's failed, they will not invest more into Dominion until they have a reason to do so.

Source #'s please on game mode players. Preferably by region.

As far as I'm aware I get dom games (was 1400-1500 elo before jabe went down) just as fast as I did on SR. Never takes me more than 20-30 seconds usually. (even if the timer indicates longer.) Often it's within 10 seconds.