Irelia Attack Damage Guide.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Altradoran

11-18-2010

Let me make this clear. This is a laning build. Not a jungling build.

I'm not saying AD is better than AP, this is just the build I generally use while playing Irelia.

Runes: Armor Pen Marks, Mana Regen Seals or Dodge Seals. This will be explained in a moment. Attack speed glyphs. Straight Health Quintessences. Armor pen Quints are viable as well, I just prefer the extra survivability.

For the seals I use mana regen for laning purposes. Being able to stay in lane longer I find is more valuable for experience purposes. It also scales very well with her Q skill, since her dash restores mana if it deals the finishing blow to a target. The 35 mana you save is regenerated quickly enough to be able to spam the skill frequently for last hits. I usually base this on my team makeup.

Starting Items: Doran's Blade, and a health potion. The extra damage, health and small amount of life steal helps stay in lane longer, as well as working with Irelia's W skill, considering the passive lifesteal already given. It also allows you some small lifesteal if you activate it.
Health potion is a given.

The build tends to vary depending on team makeup. Certain items are better to buy if you look at your team's build and realize you don't need to double up on say, starks.

I immediately get her berserkers greaves. The extra attack speed, combined with her true damage is actually quite a large buff to her damage output. This again, like any other character depends on the enemy team makeup.

Second I buy madreds and build bloodrazers. This is excellent when laning against squishys, and for farming minions early on. It does give you quite the advantage laning for minion kill purposes. It also allows you to do dragon or to deny an enemy jungler their dragon if you get some early kills. This is also amazing for taking red and blue buffs from jungle if you ever feel they're needed, or you just have spare time.

Third I either build Phage, turning it into a frozen mallet.
Or I build Starks. Only if you don't already have someone building it. The extra attack speed and life steal can really turn the fight around if you stun them. I usually find that Irelia's slow works well enough for me to get the kill. If someone is already building starks I usually build an infinity edge or a sword of the divine. Depending on how the enemy team builds.

I build Phantom Dancers after these. The attack speed, crit chance, dodge and movement speed make quite a large difference if you decide to gank. It also allows some escapability if you find yourself running from a gank.

I build Bloodthirster after for the life steal and damage increase. If you're not dieing this also builds up your damage after every kill.

Although her ult isn't doing as much damage as pure attack damage, it's still made useful for last hitting a running enemy champ. Or farming creeps and delaying a tower death. It's also useful as a scare tactic to save teammates from a gank chasing them.

I honestly find that Irelia's damage does not need huge increases from multiple high damage weapons. Her true damage is usually enough to jump her damage on targets high enough to kill them. She turns squishy mages into heaps of meat. Combined with Madreds and all the AS, as well as her crit chance, hurt tanks quite a bit. I've managed to turn fed Garen's into goo even when I'm low health and at risk of being killed by his ultimate.

Her one on one ability is amazing. I've had a twisted fate try to stun gank me alone, and because of her skills and the item build I use I tend to turn him into free gold. She is also a great counter to junglers. It's always fun shutting down a Warwick who tries to gank you, but you turn it around on him instead.

This build is focused on survival and is very useful for shutting down enemy carries.

Summoner spells: Ghost and Exhaust. Flash is also viable. I don't often use ignite because I find lots of people using heal and such. I find it much more viable, especially against other melee champions to have exhaust, deny them damage while healing yourself, then stunning them if they do manage to drop your health again.

This is absolutely amazing against teemo and twitch. A fed twitch is normally the end of a game. It's hilarious when you stun him, exhaust, then rip him in half.

I realise this doesn't benefit her E ability much, but I like having the extra damage on her dash. This helps last hit like crazy on minions or champs. (Not telling you to kill steal) But to help last hit champs running away from you for a very decent amount of damage.

I've been testing this build for a little while and it tends to work out very well. Even if you're not fed, your damage is high enough for kills, or to lower enemy champs enough to be killed.

I even find this works out while laning against ranged champs. I recently did a game against a fiddlesticks and twitch. I managed 3 kills on fiddlesticks and 2 on twitch in lane. It tends to rip health off of them quite quickly if played correctly.

Hope this helps some people out. I appreciate criticism as long as it's not negative. Advice is always welcome.

Oh. As for her skills. I level her lifesteal up first. I do W, Q, E, R when possible. W to max, Q to max, E to max. In that order.

steadypals

11-18-2010

i just had a nice game with almost similar build, try getting IE instead of bloodthirster...

50% crit is decent

DemonicTemper

11-18-2010

I dont think any build is good for her because she is to bland. I love her style but like i said there is no spice to her AD or AP. nothing that makes her stand out.(mord supa tank, rammus anti dps, yi very strong dps but weak hp.) i could go on and on, but i will stop there. what i am trying to say is that I think that she has nothing that defines her.

Notlupus

11-19-2010

Agree with the above poster, there is nothing really that makes her stand out. The champions was introduced as a 'melee DPS who thrives when outnumbered', but you're basically a worse Eve/Kat/Akali, a shame, hope they give her another good look.

Gunflame

11-19-2010

You guys are not looking at the big picture... I've been playing Rammus a lot and i definetly do not like Irelia

True damage is a pain on tankish champions... Galio, Rammus, Garen, they all use defenses to be effective. Also true damage goes through morgana's shield, another CC/defensive champion. She ganks junglers well enough and I have been some smite-less jungling Irelia (with dual buffs at lvl 3).

Irelia is a pretty good champion for the current meta. Even if you guys think otherwise

Notlupus

11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
You guys are not looking at the big picture... I've been playing Rammus a lot and i definetly do not like Irelia

True damage is a pain on tankish champions... Galio, Rammus, Garen, they all use defenses to be effective. Also true damage goes through morgana's shield, another CC/defensive champion. She ganks junglers well enough and I have been some smite-less jungling Irelia (with dual buffs at lvl 3).

Irelia is a pretty good champion for the current meta. Even if you guys think otherwise
So how would you build her?

DemonicTemper

11-19-2010

ok, now i have to ask, what do u mean by "meta" game.

steadypals

11-19-2010

ive been having good games by just building her with

zeal > IE > pd, then AS items, madreds and LW...

W/Q/E, squishies are dead.... W onto a tank, and he dies to... unless he has thornmal, then ur dead ROFL...

'
i love irelia..

Altradoran

11-19-2010

Steady I see where you're coming from with the IE instead of BT. I just find it works better in games with alot of ganks. Enemy team composition is also a factor into how I build. If there aren't alot of enemy ganks, like WW, TF, Shaco etc; I tend to build for more damage because I know I can survive. I have to disagree with anyone who says that she is "bland". She is an excellent team player and a great scare tactic. There is nothing like activating her Ultimate to deal damage pre-fight or to simply cover a retreating teammate. I've had instances where a teammate brings a few people low, and I manage to drop two people that are chasing with just her ultimate.

Also, to comment on how she's a worse eve/kat/akali. I laughed a bit at this. Kat is pretty easy to shut down with irelia if she ults. She drops you just below her health %, you stun and cancel her ult, Then continue gaining health back while dealing high damage from auto attacks and your abilities.

Eve is only a problem if you let her be one. Wards or Oracles. Enough said. Akali is the only one who causes concern. If you play smart however you can shut her down.

When I play Irelia she's great at shutting down ganks and causing tanks some fairly severe issues. I play her primarily as a mage killer. I run in and try to prevent mages from getting away. I find she's also very underestimated as a champion. People cry because she's simply not OP like other champions people like to play. She's extremely balanced. I see alot of crying about her ult too. People look at the damage of one blade, rather than all 4. 4 Blades, dealing more than enough if all hit. I've taken squishy characters down to half health with it by hitting with all four attacks. Ultimate abilities aren't meant to be an instakill. If you're going to comment. Comment well. Take into consideration what her strengths are and back it up with facts. Don't just say she sucks. She clearly doesn't.

However, everything is a matter of opinion. If anyone has anything to say about the guide please do so.

FreeBeers

11-19-2010

Irelia rocks, I think the people who post "OMG UP" are one of two categories....people who suck with her and haven't actually tried to get better with her, and the other being people who have had their game ruined by one that fed.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...I just wanted to add how important a sheen can be. Let me elaborate.

Typically I'll start with a doran's item...any of them work with her, really. Q is always my first skill...why? because you can literally kill entire waves of creeps by just waiting until they are low and then Q, Q, Q, Q....until you're out of mana. This is where the Mp5 runes will help tremendously. I don't even take a point in W until I've finished sheen only so I can use it for the proc. The lifesteal and true damage on it is abysmal until higher levels anyway. Your primary damage skills are Q and E and should be prioritized first...imo.

The sheen really helps your early game burst, as well as your ability to spam Q and farm creeps. I usually end up with more creep kills than anyone else in the game, including morde's and sivir's who are mid. Even if you never upgrade it into a lichbane or trin force (although despite all the whining about it, all of the stats are actually very useful to her).

Zeals > phantom dancers are also great on her if you have a lot of melee. Also merc treads with diminishing returns are not worth it, you can benefit so much more from boots 3, tabi, or zerks... and a final note, a veil on her rediculously increases her survivability when combined with her passive.

have fun, and try her more than twice before you post nonsense on the forums plz!