[Guide] statikk's Take on Kassadin the Voidwalker

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 17
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-02-2010
5 of 46 Riot Posts

@Watchers

Glad to hear you're having success. Rushing a Banshee's is also something I have seen done on Kassadin (a high Elo player that goes by the name Dubu used to do it all the time) with reasonable success. It makes Kassadin nearly impossible to kill.

@ObsidianKnife

I definitely wouldn't mind doing Pantheon next. He's a very fun champion. I'll see what else requests are out there and will get back to you.

Ebonclaw

08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russarian View Post
And your credentials are????? 1300 rating in all brackets? Not sure why you are burning him at the stake here dude. He's just trying to help. Listen or don't. He ain't forcing you to.
I'm not 'burning him at the stake', I am opening up a discussion, and stating the points as I see them.

Bring up my Rankings all you want, I haven't done much premade stuff, and my Solo was up to 1546, until I started getting fail team after fail team. My last loss was caused by an 0-9-2 jungling Garen.

Anyways, since you're obviously not capable of civil discourse, I'd prefer to continue conversing with the OP instead.

@statikk

I understand you have a wide body of experience, and that does count for a lot. I myself joined just at the start of OB, so I've been here quite a long time now as well.

I've just found that with the buffs for Archangel to push it to 3% of mana as AP, that it gives quite a powerful boost. Personally I see it as a staple of Ryze (for even more damage on Overload), as well as Heimer (who can spam his mana bar down in seconds), though perhaps I should sit down and just spend a little time browsing the topmost players' builds, to see what all is going on there. Personally, I don't really get Archangel on Kassadin, but it seems a whole lot of people do, and it seems like in a pure AP sniper build, it could be useful (especially if you haven't gotten the knack of regening with Nether Blade, yet), and it seems that in light of the buffs, calling it a useless item, or a 'mana item', just isn't quite accurate an assessment.

<3

Pipin

08-02-2010

I perfer angels -> Archangel just because of the insane mana you get, and that allows you to stack rift walks. No other item atm gave me that much mana and its pretty insane dmg if you get a 3 sec rift walk with 4 stacks and you manage to jump twice in 1 team fight.

But i guess you can just play him as the initial burst of walk pulse sphere (deathfire?)

Parjanya

08-02-2010

yes, can the next mini guide be pantheon? I really enjoy that char and would like some pro tips regarding him and/ or his viability in more competitive play.

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-02-2010
6 of 46 Riot Posts

@ Ebonclaw

Yes I understand your point. I never called Archangel's "useless" I simply said I feel it is a weak choice and there are better options.

@ Pipin

True it's devastating if you land something like that but it's way too situational to really base your build around don't you think? It's hard enough to even just land a Riftwalk on top of a target and without that extra survivability you are a lot more vulnerable to be exploded yourself if you get that close to the target anyway.

I for the most part use Riftwalk as a Flash rather than a nuke. I Riftwalk usually just to get into cast range so that I don't put myself in a vulnerable position. Yes, sometimes you can use Riftwalk for the damage and you should when you can but that is not really an option a lot of the time especially against a good team and especially if you aren't building survivability.

@ analis

Looks like Pantheon is a popular choice. He's in the lead for now.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikk View Post
Tear/Archangel's is for the most part a weak choice on any champion. It gives you mana great, but often times (especially in high tier play) you will either have died or have made your kill before you can really take advantage of that big of a mana pool. Grabbing such an item slows your climb to power and that is crucial considering that Kassadin hits his peak in the mid-game (although he is definitely still powerful late).

Basically, if you are worried about your mana pool I would definitely recommend going for Rod of Ages and/or Sheen -> Lichbane instead. Also remember that Clarity, managing your positioning/Riftwalks, and controlling the Ancient Golem buff can help remedy the problem in the first place.
statikk, that's interesting hearing you say that Archangel Staff is a weak item choice for "any" champion. I agree with your argument for Kassadin, but what about spell-spammy-able caster champions like Karthus, Kog'Maw, and Anivia? All three are able to cast enough spells while walking places to proc for mana as fast as the procs recharge (not without risk obviously). I'm particularly interested in what you think about Anivia+Archangel. (I usually grab Catalyst --> RoA first though)

peyo

08-03-2010

where's previous topic? :P

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-03-2010
7 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitii View Post
statikk, that's interesting hearing you say that Archangel Staff is a weak item choice for "any" champion. I agree with your argument for Kassadin, but what about spell-spammy-able caster champions like Karthus, Kog'Maw, and Anivia? All three are able to cast enough spells while walking places to proc for mana as fast as the procs recharge (not without risk obviously). I'm particularly interested in what you think about Anivia+Archangel. (I usually grab Catalyst --> RoA first though)
If it came down to it, I'd honestly take 2 RoA's over an RoA and an Archangel's Staff. Like I said, there are mana issues and having extra mana can be situationally useful but in skilled games you aren't likely to ever be able to take advantage of that mana because fights happen so fast. You are either dead or they are dead way before you can really take advantage of the mana. Once again I believe there are many other more efficient ways to offset mana problems such as runes, masteries, smart play, Clarity, Ancient Golem buff, etc.

This is the case for me whether I'm playing Kassadin, Karthus, or Anivia. Although mana is a great stat to have on the side, I would never personally itemize for it with the current state of item balance.

@ peyo

Lost somewhere in the void. >.>

peyo

08-03-2010

as I said, I've tried HG instead of my Sheen and it worked nicely. Whenever we're losing and I need more HP, I'll get HG first

edit: oh and I'd love to see an up to date Gragas guide

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-03-2010
8 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyo View Post

as I said, I've tried HG instead of my Sheen and it worked nicely. Whenever we're losing and I need more HP, I'll get HG first

edit: oh and I'd love to see an up to date Gragas guide
By HG you mean Haunting Guise right? Haunting Guise is a pretty solid item, I get it all the time on a lot of casters including Kassadin.

Gragas is interesting. He's so versatile, I'm not even sure what role he is most effective in as I have seen him tank, DPS, as well as AP burst with great results when played well.

12345612 ... 17