The Current Meta: Breakdown of why you should leave it alone

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bylobog44

07-26-2012

Part of the reason for the current meta is that there are 5 champions and 4 revenue (gold) streams (3 lanes + jungle). In order to maximize team gold, you have 2 solo lanes, one dual lane with a zero CS support and a jungle.

Any strategy that "breaks" the current meta has to be as efficient in gold and exp.

There is no reason that with the right picks / counters a push strategy with a dual top lane wouldn't work. You just have to divide the jungle gold stream between the dual top and bottom lanes, and probably have GP/10 items in your build.

The only problem I have with the current meta is the near religious, blind devotion to an orthodoxy that if you vary at all from, you get raged at. Way too much group think.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylobog44 View Post
Part of the reason for the current meta is that there are 5 champions and 4 revenue (gold) streams (3 lanes + jungle). In order to maximize team gold, you have 2 solo lanes, one dual lane with a zero CS support and a jungle.

Any strategy that "breaks" the current meta has to be as efficient in gold and exp.

There is no reason that with the right picks / counters a push strategy with a dual top lane wouldn't work. You just have to divide the jungle gold stream between the dual top and bottom lanes, and probably have GP/10 items in your build.

The only problem I have with the current meta is the near religious, blind devotion to an orthodoxy that if you vary at all from, you get raged at. Way too much group think.
I agree, well worded.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

Just keepin' this in people's minds.

AlphariusRising

07-28-2012

I think people don't understand the difference between breaking the meta, and conforming to parts of the meta they didn't know existed.

Sending 2 top is in the meta if they have a top that needs to be shut down from farming.
Sending a bruiser, or two bruisers bot is good because bruisers counter AD carries, so you can shut them down from the farm they need. That's in the Meta, and it's done.
Sending your AD mid will counter some APs like Morgana, and sending your AP top will counter some tops like Malph, and that's done pretty often, and is an established part of the Meta.

The meta's bigger than people give it credit for.

H3LLRIS3R

07-28-2012

I'm think we don't need the meta ( again ). My team owned the other team and we were zyra, ap tf, ap ez, ap yi, and TANK TEEMO and destroyed them by 20 more kills as they were playing by the current meta. that proves we don't need to play by the current meta.

H3LLRIS3R

07-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Rawr View Post
What would you recommend as a replacement or better strategy then?
Any thing really, if ur playing a rank just see if ur team needs more tank or more dmg or more magic it's really quite simple.

In normals who cares, normals are went to be fun and to get better not to be so serious.

Quick Rawr

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLRIS3R View Post
Any thing really, if ur playing a rank just see if ur team needs more tank or more dmg or more magic it's really quite simple.

In normals who cares, normals are went to be fun and to get better not to be so serious.
Hard to be tanky on a tank or bursty as a mage when you have almost no income. And, if you lane something like Annie/Ezreal vs Vayne/Alistar... you're gonna have one of them melted down by the time the cc ends since the vayne got so much more farm, and then the other will be melted down netting a 2-0 exchange.

Obviously this is in ideal circumstances, but in the end you have two not great people on your team unless the enemy plays poorly vs one amazing teammate and an initiator/healer/whatever that you pick as a support.

Quick Rawr

07-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLRIS3R View Post
I'm think we don't need the meta ( again ). My team owned the other team and we were zyra, ap tf, ap ez, ap yi, and TANK TEEMO and destroyed them by 20 more kills as they were playing by the current meta. that proves we don't need to play by the current meta.
I'm not sure ONE game means that you destroyed the meta...? And not enough facts in that to even make a fair statement in my opinion.

If you read the first page, I've already addressed situations like this. I'm not sure 4 AP and an offtank would be a successful team comp on a regular basis.

Quick Rawr

09-27-2012

I'd seen a lot of posts about changing the meta recently. Just thought I would bump this up so people could give it a read that haven't read it before.

Like I've said though, I personally would love a different setup if someone thought of one that is better, but otherwise counterpicking is key.