What happened to dominion ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

03-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan4life View Post
okay guys thanks for the update.

I'll keep avoiding dominion until ranked is out because I found my dom games infested with ppl who are not taking it seriously enough for my liking and are just testing out the weeks free champs in a short-match setting.
Ranked mode + getting up a bit in Elo both appear to help with that.

IMSOJUICY

03-19-2012

I wonder if the player base is so small. , if riot unlock ranked right now, there would be an embarrassingly small number of players listed in the ladders and all that. Maybe ghats why they hold off on ranked?

Kiddalee

03-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSOJUICY View Post
I wonder if the player base is so small. , if riot unlock ranked right now, there would be an embarrassingly small number of players listed in the ladders and all that. Maybe ghats why they hold off on ranked?
If that's what they're thinking, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

FDru

03-19-2012

Dominion community doesn't care about competitive play. 99% of the players just play blind pick. My guess is we'll get ranked at the start of S3, or never.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

03-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddalee View Post
I don't think entry barriers ruin a game's competitiveness. The MOBA genre is full of entry barriers by nature, with the number of characters for learn, for example. Everybody met entry barriers but kept plugging away at Summoner's Rift.
There's a vast difference between learning how to win in Classic and how to win in Dominion.

It's not just because there are far more resources for an aspiring Classic player either - it's caused by several of the core elements of the game.

When you take a risk in Classic, it comes with a clear cost and a clear reward. A jungler stops to gank. He pays the price in gold/xp that is lost by not staying in the jungle, but he stands to gain gold/xp/lane control both for himself and for the allies he is ganking for.

When you take a risk in Dominion, it's not so clear. If I leave top to gank bottom, we may end up taking bottom as a result. But even if we do take it, how long can we hold it? Will we gain top when they come down to help? What if they don't? What if we lose mid in the process? What exactly is the price you pay for your actions, and what exactly do you stand to gain?

There are tons of variables that come into play when making that decision. Did any opponents recently Recall? How many are visible top? How far is bottom lane pushed? Can you account for any of their locations? Is anyone taking the Storm Shrine? Does anyone currently have it? What are your teammates positions? What does your top composition look like without you, are they effective stallers/defenders, are they strong pokers, could they take top without you?

Unlike Classic, where such a decision is easier to make because most players will stay out of fog of war, and thus fewer unknown variables as a result. Why? The game gives you an incentive to do so - if you are outside of minion xp range, you're going to fall behind in levels and gold (because you probably aren't last hitting either), and lose. Dominion gives you little incentive to stay near minions and keep your location known to the enemy team.

When it's not clear what your risk and reward is for your actions, then it becomes more unclear which action is the one most likely to lead you to victory.

I perceive this as an issue. You might not, but I think Dominion could be more popular... or at least easier on new players... if this aspect of the game were made more like Classic.

not real pro

03-20-2012

While I'd hate to claw my way back up to 1700's I would fervently support ranked dominion. As of now without know how much I have or whether I have improved I don't really see a reason to play it. I only actually started to get into dominion when I found Jabe.

iBelgium

06-02-2012

Dominion is an excellent mode and I truly believe ranked and ranked teams would help this mode grow to the next level. If people earn elo, somebody can say "i'm the best dominion player" and then others will find out how to beat that person and become number one themselves. Now everybody says he's good in dominion but most don't even know how to capture and hold instead of running around the map like a headless chicken...

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2012

You can still check your Elo with Lolmatches, so its not without some competitive play. The only drawbacks I see to ranked Dom being introduced is that I doubt it will take into account current hidden Elos and you can't dodge that instant lock troll.

Fugis

06-02-2012

I hope if they do add ranked theres a solo queue..I would like an alternative to SR solo ranked without having to gather a full team of 5 every time.

Phourc

06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Dominion community doesn't care about competitive play. 99% of the players just play blind pick. My guess is we'll get ranked at the start of S3, or never.
To be fair, I play blind because after D3 release, draft took 30 minutes @ 1600 elo or wherever I am (maybe a little lower now?)