Hit and Rundle - fun with Trundle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LegendaryEnemy

09-26-2012

Trundle is going underutilized on the Crystal Scar.

This is a guide. I played Trundle season 1 on SR with a 76.8% win Ratio (only played about 30 games). Season 2 I played Dominion, and didn't try working Trundle into the map until a few months after its release. I initially acheived sporatic success, have fine tuned my methods, and now enjoy a healthy win ratio, and KDR on Dominion with the trolliest of the trollies.

Trundle is a very versatile and effective champion. In order to be successful on Trundle you need to maximize your ability to exploit opportunities, and minimize the inherent risk associated with frontal assaults on the enemy team. If you are too tanky you will not be able to utilize openings effectively as your damage will be insufficient to bring down enemies. If you are too damage focused, you will die almost immediately when you go in for a kill. Creating a synergistic harmony between your item choices and abilities yeilds both high survivability and strong damage.

Trundle's Strengths:
- Pillar can block off enemy escape paths, prevent being chased, be used to check brushes and gather vision at a wide range, and is a powerful slow at max rank.
- Due to his attack speed and attack damage steroid he can get alot of damage out of a few essential stats.
- His ultimate is incredibly versatile as a finisher, defensive steroid or target softener. It also has a very short cooldown.
- Very high tenacity makes him difficult to pin down with CC.
- Cooldown reduction helps make his speed steroid and pillar more consistant, as well as increasing the rapidity of rabid bite.

Trundle's weaknesses:
- Minor casting errors with pillar will result in inadequate collision.
- because his movement steroid and pillar are positional enemies with tricky escape abilities can kite him effectively

Items:
- Boots
- Prospector's Blade

- Merc Treads
- Atmas Impaler - Rushing atmas early seems odd, but I find it provides an even mix of stats he needs relatively early. All of your other items will increase its effectivety. Crit is extremely effective on Trundle, but other early crit options leave him too squishy.

- Vampiric Scepter
- Ghostblade

- Zeke's Herald

- Mallet/Randuins/MR Items are all very useful on Trundle end game.

Notes:
- CDR makes your whole kit more consistant
- With a modest investment in offensive stats your damage skyrockets
- Ghostblade's active is an incredibly strong way for Trundle to close distances.
- Trinity force is overprices, overrated, and will leave Trundle lacking in both damage and survivability. CDR increases his ability to slow enemies and speed himself up. Because Q gives AD, it is better to be attacking more for harder following Q than it is to just beef up Q by a degree.

Masteries 9/21/0

Runes: Armor Pen, Flat Armor, 7 MR per Level Blues, 2 CDR per Level. MS Quints.

Summoner Spells: Revive and Ignite (Ignite+Ult=win)

MMKH

09-26-2012

Trundle is really fun indeed and I've found that if you can ambush a target with the help of a few assassins, they will really blow up a lot faster since his ult makes them much squishier. Late game he is a beast too. However I notice he does poorly against ranged DPS and persistent ranged slows.

naotasan

09-26-2012

The title of this thread gave me a smile

Trundle is VERY annoying when he's good at placing those pillars.

LegendaryEnemy

09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Trundle is really fun indeed and I've found that if you can ambush a target with the help of a few assassins, they will really blow up a lot faster since his ult makes them much squishier. Late game he is a beast too. However I notice he does poorly against ranged DPS and persistent ranged slows.
Yes. I have a very difficult time fighting ezreal, vayne, and ashe. I like to play Trundle with assassins like fizz and talon on my team as they create enough chaos that i can get into the fight without suffering significant health loss. Pillar seems to be enough for them to get into range to execute their combo, and their combo is just spooky enough for me to get in on them.

Lulu is Trundle's worst enemy.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-27-2012

The only pentakill I've ever gotten was with Trundle in an ARAB, he kind of hits critical mass and becomes unkillable after a few items, but I can't play him effectively in normals.

Chibils

09-27-2012

As a big Trundle fan, I decided to try him on Dominion a few times. He seemed suited for the map: tanky, does good damage, mobile, with tenacity, steroids, and a massive debuff (q+ult). I figured it couldn't go wrong. Maybe I was up against the wrong teams, but I found myself constantly kited when I played.

How do you personally adjust for that? Drop a W and activate ghostblade? Try to ambush them? I'm really curious, because I love the troll but have had no success with him on Dominion. Thanks!

LegendaryEnemy

09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibils View Post
As a big Trundle fan, I decided to try him on Dominion a few times. He seemed suited for the map: tanky, does good damage, mobile, with tenacity, steroids, and a massive debuff (q+ult). I figured it couldn't go wrong. Maybe I was up against the wrong teams, but I found myself constantly kited when I played.

How do you personally adjust for that? Drop a W and activate ghostblade? Try to ambush them? I'm really curious, because I love the troll but have had no success with him on Dominion. Thanks!
Waiting for teammates to assist you is generally a good strategy. He is very team dependent compared to other bruisers. I usually will try to slow them with pillar, activate ghostblade, then drop w as i move in. I find that this helps alleviate some of his issues. Try to avoid frontal assaults. You have to play your opportunities very well.

I find that last hitting minions is often better than rushing to cap a point that is well defended.