Support help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

uberlando

03-17-2012

hey all, i'm going to start playing support characters so i can duo bot with a friend and i was wondering what support characters are good and what setups are good? like runes, masteries, and item builds and so on.

thinking about trying soraka or sona, but others can do.

Thanks all

PDiddy

03-17-2012

wait for lulu, shes gona be a beast.

Whats the over under that Phreak is gona jungle her?

MattinatorHax

03-17-2012

Hey, great to have other starting supports around, I'm in the same boat! Keep in mind that as I'm writing this I'm still figuring everything out, but this is what I've worked out from lurking here, watching pro streams, checking various sites, etc.

Great champions to start with are Taric and Sona. Both Taric and Sona have good healing power for sustaining your AD, plus an additional benefit - Taric has an armour aura and a stun, Sona gives a +damage aura. That makes them great champions to start with for newer players.

From there, you can pick up Soraka, Janna, Allistair, etc. Soraka has even better sustain than the first two (can restore both mana and health..), but her silence isn't as powerful as the additional benefits those first two champions give. Janna has a shielding mechanic instead of a heal, which is more fiddly, but that gives a ridiculous amount of attack damage too, and all sorts of extra tricks up her sleeve (she's currently regarded as one of the best, if not the best, supports in LoL). Allistair's support is weaker still, but he's very tanky and disruptive, thus very valuable in that way. Then you have Supports like Nunu, Leona, Lux and more who have no actual sustain (except maybe summoner heal), but assist in one way or the other. But yeah, start with Taric/Sona, then become more familiar with the others.

Also, Lulu (the new planned support) looks really interesting, you'll want to grab it when it comes out.

For masteries, I'm working towards something like 0/9/21 (Mobafire URL is bugging out, anyone know a good site for planning and linking LoL masteries?)

That isn't foolproof, and should be adjusted depending on what items you're building, but it seems to be decent. Once you (and I, for that matter) get better acquainted with the game and the role, you can branch out more.

For runes: I tend to use one of two different setups...

Setup 1 - +Armour Marks; +Armour Seals; +Magic Resist (Often written as MgR) Glyphs; +Gold/10 Quintessences

Setup 2 - +MgR Marks; +Armour Seals; +Mana per 5 (Often written as MP5) Glyphs; +HP Quintessences

One thing I've found quite helpful is watching pro players streaming support. One of the few that does this consistently is Nhat Nguyen. He's a really nice guy that interacts lots with his audience, answering their questions (even the troll ones at times). He also plays with very little delay (that I can tell), and he's one of the few support players that will consistently play support while streaming. Check him out if you can, I've learnt quite a bit from him.

http://www.own3d.tv/live/10955/Nhat_Nguyen

For items, it will depend a bit on what happens during the game. I tend to start with 4 sight wards, 1 health potion and 1 Faerie Charm. Level 1 Boots and a Philosophers Stone should be what you next aim for, making sure to keep picking up wards when needed. From there it's anyone's guess - what you pick up will depend on what your team picks up, and what your enemies pick up, whether you're ahead or behind in your lane/the game, etc. Cooldown reduction is always good, as is extra defence and magic resist, so items that give you (and sometimes your team also) those stats are good, most of the suggested items generally aren't terrible, etc.

That's about all I have, I hope it helps!

Journeyboy

03-17-2012

Usually a support always starts with Faerie Charm (mana regen), 3 wards, and 2 hp (3 if you have starting gold mastery)

Good Supports: Janna, Sona, Soraka, Taric, Sona
(Sona is the easiest in my opinion, but Janna is the best late game)

Next items: Philostone, (mix in lvl 1 boots at any point after philostone) Heart of gold, Cd boots, Lucky pick, Deathcap.

Upgrade the Gold per 5 items to their full forms when you feel you have enough money to keep buying wards consistently.

ALWAYS HAVE WARDS

Delicious NomCat

03-17-2012

I personally Main support, In ranked I suggest Soraka over all. After that Would be Alistar and then Janna and then all the others, ( Again this is my opinion).

When playing a support You want to get Gp10 runes, some ppl would suggest cd runes yet I find it more useful for that extra gold, since your not supposed to be farming early game anyways. On Masteries I Go straight down the Support tree and then get a bit in the Def.

On Items ALWAYS start with mana regen pendent and some wards and a pot if you want. When you get enough money to build in to a phil stone, do it. After that I suggest HoG or Lucky Pick (I prefer HoG because it builds into Locket and is cheaper inthe long run and seems more useful) After that boots I get the movement boots that give you 5 movement when not being targeted since i need to be there with all my team, but others like the cd boots (personal preference so go with what you want)

On abilities Max heal then infuse then q and ult
ult over all
but you get the idea.
thats about it i guess, if you have any questions let me know or let me know why you dont agree up to you

uberlando

03-17-2012

Wow guys thanks alot i really appreciate all the tips and know how! Hopefully i can do a good job as support

Foodhi

03-18-2012

pro supports also keep track of where and when the enemy places their wards. That way you can either clear out the ward with a pink ward/oracle or let your jungler know when they expire (3 minutes after they are placed).

Nesious

03-18-2012

I guess I'll add in my own help here as well.

1. Always being buying wards, whenever you back, at least buy 1 sight ward, unless u happen to back at Lvl 1 because of lvl 2 ganks.

2. Don't take CS, your job is to support your AD Carry, so heal them, keep them healthy, harass the enemies, and zone if you are confident enough, this will give you plenty of things to do during the laning phase
3. Adding into the Don't take CS, when you are sitting there, press S so you character stops moving, this also stops your champion from Auto Attacking randomly and stealing CS

4. Keep track of enemy champions, traditionally your AD will be rather squishy, as well as yourself, so keeping track of junglers + the enemy team as a whole will help immensely in the laning phase.

5. Positioning is key in the laning phase, especially as a support. Make sure you are staying fairly back when you aren't zoning, and preferably out of sight (in a bush), you don't have many if any means of escaping, and getting your enemies fed, and leaving your AD without a support, can lead to a GG right there.

6. Help with team coordination, as support, you are the person doing the least actively, and usually have time to talk inbetween events, take timers of buffs, dragon, baron, and wards. Coordinate ganks, ganks will go well if you have a solid plan and lead to early game advantages.

7. Know what items the enemies have, and what impact they have on the game, for example, if the enemy taric is going Aura Support, tell your team to focus him and try to pick him off, or if the enemy APs are dominating, tell your team to get MR and focus them as well.

8. Call MIAs, this also means map awareness, keep track of ALL enemies, even outside of your lane, call MIAs for your allies in other lanes, also keep track of where they went when they went MIA, this can signal ganks and save lives.

9. Ward important things, ward choke points while you are doing baron/dragon, make sure you will not get ganked while you fight buffs.

10. Find balance between buying items and warding, your goals should be to get your GP5s, and get your buff items such as Shurelias Reverie, and Randuins Omen/Locket of the Iron Solari. but supports end games without a full build in 90% of serious games. this is because they ward, ward, ward, ward, and, guess what: (ward). Moral of the story: WARD!

Okay now I completely didn't do what OP asked for, I'll do just that. Good Supports are: Taric, Sona, Soraka, Leona, Janna, Alistar. Good builds are Faerie Charm, 2 wards, pots (ward + pot amount can be interchanged) -> Philosopher's Stone -> Boots (except with Janna) -> Heart of Gold -> Aegis of the Legion (unless tank buys) -> Tier 2 Boots -> Shurelias -> Randuins -> Will of the Ancients (if your an AP support). That is usually my Sona build, but its viable with Janna + Soraka, this is just an example build, and you should NEVER do this with all supports.

Runes: Someone else explained

Masteries: Same guy explained :<

So. Yeah! Also, using Mobafire for guides + builds will help immensely, and they probably can do more than we can

Add me! IGN: Nesious, I'd like to play with you + your friend, I can give you tips/stare at you in amazement when you go pro style all over bot lane. Hope to see you on the Fields of Justice.