IEM Hannover: A Bot Lane Perspective

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Obzidian

03-10-2012

I'm a geek and I like looking at numbers, frequencies, etc. I also play Bot lane, a lot, so when I watch tournament play that is generally what I'm most interested in watching.

I made some notes about Hannover that I thought were really interesting and I figured I'd share for like minded players. Be prepared for a number dump.

Group A

In Group A, Corki was played in 11/15 games. He won 6, lost 5.

• Alistar/Corki – won 1, 3 lost
  • Janna/Corki – 5 wins, 1 loss
  • Nunu/Corki – 0 wins, 1 loss

Other winning combos were
  • Nunu/Ashe (1)
  • Janna/Ashe (1)
  • Leona/Ez (1)
  • Taric/Vayne (1)
  • Ali/Ashe (1)
  • Janna/Vayne (2)
  • Taric/Ashe (1)
  • Galio/Cait (1)

Janna/Corki as strongest combo in Group A

Group B
In Group B, Kogmaw was played in 10/15 games. He won 5 and lost 5
  • Nunu/Kog – 2
  • Janna/Kog – 3

Other winning combos were
  • Soraka/Graves (2)
  • Janna/Ashe (2)
  • Janna/MF (3)
  • Taric/Urgot (1)
  • Alistar/Tristana (1)
  • Janna/Ezreal (1)
In Group B, Janna/KogMaw and Janna/MF were the strongest combination.

Quarterfinals
In the Quarterfinals, the breakdown shifts. Corki was played in 3/5 games, Graves was played in 2/5 games. The other carries were each played once: Vayne, Ezreal, Caitlin, Tristana, and Kogmaw. Winning combinations were Alistar/Vayne (1), Janna/Ezreal (1), Corki/Leona (2), and Janna/Graves (1).

Semifinals
In the Semifinals/Third Place matches, the breakdown shifts again. The most commonly played AD carry was Ezreal who won 3 and lost 1. He is followed by Corki who won 1 and lost 2 games. Kogmaw was played twice, winning 1 match and losing the other. Graves, Vayne and Caitlin all lost their single matches while Ashe and Urgot won their only matches.

Finals
In the Finals, M5 won with Alistar/Urgot and Janna/Kogmaw while Dignitas lost with Janna/Corki and Soraka/Corki.

Support/AD Carry Winning Combinations Breakdown
Combination + amount of match wins
  • Alistar/Corki (1)
  • Janna/Corki (5)
  • Nunu/Ashe (1)
  • Janna/Ashe (4)
  • Leona/Ez (1)
  • Taric/Vayne (1)
  • Ali/Ashe (1)
  • Janna/Vayne (2)
  • Taric/Ashe (1)
  • Galio/Cait (1)
  • Nunu/Kog (2)
  • Janna/Kog (5)
  • Soraka/Graves (2)
  • Janna/MF (3)
  • Taric/Urgot (1)
  • Alistar/Tristana (1)
  • Janna/Ezreal (5)
  • Alistar/Vayne (1)
  • Leona/Corki (2)
  • Janna/Graves (1)
  • Janna/Urgot (1)
  • Taric/Corki (1)
  • Alistar/Urgot (1)

This means the most popular, successful bot lane combinations are Janna/Corki, Janna/Kogmaw and Janna/Ezreal. Janna/Corki and Janna/Kogmaw was used by a wide variety of teams whereas Janna/Ezreal was predominantly utilized by CLG, although they didn’t use the combo exclusively.

Support Breakdown
Alphabetical list of supports with the amount of games they were in, their wins and losses and their win percentage.
  • Alistar – 12 games – 5 wins, 7 losses – 42%
  • Blitzcrank – 3 games – 0 wins, 3 losses – 0%
  • Fiddlesticks – 1 game – 0 wins, 1 losses – 0%
  • Galio – 1 game – 1 win, 0 loss – 100%
  • Janna – 36 games – 26 wins, 10 losses – 72%
  • Leona – 5 games – 3 wins, 2 losses – 60%
  • Nunu – 9 games – 2 wins, 6 losses – 33%
  • Taric – 7 games – 4 wins, 3 losses – 57%
  • Sona – 9 games – 0 wins, 9 losses – 0%
  • Soraka – 4 games – 2 wins, 2 loss – 50%
  • Yorick – 1 game – 0 wins, 1 loss – 0%

So, Janna was not only the most popular support but also one of the most successful. Alistar was the second most popular with a fairly high success rate again. Leona was less played but had the same success rate as Ali. Sona was total fail.

AD Carry Breakdown
Alphabetical list of ad carries with the amount of games they were in, their wins and losses and their win percentage.
  • Ashe – 9 games – 7 wins, 2 losses – 78%
  • Caitlin – 5 games, 1 win, 4 losses, -- 20%
  • Corki – 22 games – 9 wins, 13 losses – 41%
  • Ezreal – 11 games – 6 wins, 5 losses – 55%
  • Graves – 6 games – 3 wins, 3 losses – 50%
  • Kogmaw – 14 games – 7 wins, 7 losses – 50%
  • Miss Fortune – 3 games – 3 wins, 0 losses – 100%
  • Sivir – 3 games – 0 wins, 3 losses – 0%
  • Tristana – 3 games – 1 win, 2 losses – 33%
  • Urgot – 4 games – 3 wins, 1 loss – 75%
  • Vayne – 7 games – 4 games, 3 losses – 57%

The most popular carry was Corki followed by Kogmaw and Ezreal. They all had about equal success/fail rates. The most successful carries were Miss Fortune, Urgot, and Ashe. I thought this was interesting because these are carries that a lot of people don't consider to be very good. The least successful carries were Caitlin and Sivir, which are two more popular carries.

If anyone wants more info, I have all my notes and am happy to put them up. Oh, also, a thing to note is that Urgot was successful mostly in the hands of M5 and the strategy they used with him was generally outside the current meta and not so much traditional ad carry/support.

Enjoy!

P.S. Please don't nerf Janna!

Talisabt

03-10-2012

Wow great information! Thank you!

Obzidian

03-10-2012

You're most welcome! Just want to bump, I mixed up two team comps on the final game of the series (had Soraka/Corki as M5's pick for some reason and Janna/Kog as Digs). I've fixed that and corrected the numbers. Sorry for the mistake!.

EpicWinFTW

03-11-2012

IMO classifying game 1 of M5 vs Dig as Urgot/Ali bot lane is inaccurate since Urgot was bot solo for the vast majority of the laning phase (although he was given blue buff to bully Corki and Janna out of the lane).

Ali had a far greater impact roaming and ganking the enemy jung and mid.

I Barricade I

03-12-2012

bump, and ty

iamvirii

03-12-2012

Awesome post man, that's great to see.

I play support in bot, so it's cool to see that Janna is the most popular (my best champ.)

Looks like I should get better at Alistar though.

Obzidian

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpeastuto View Post
IMO classifying game 1 of M5 vs Dig as Urgot/Ali bot lane is inaccurate since Urgot was bot solo for the vast majority of the laning phase (although he was given blue buff to bully Corki and Janna out of the lane).

Ali had a far greater impact roaming and ganking the enemy jung and mid.
I basically agree. I did mention that M5 used Ali/Urgot in a non-traditional manner but Alistair/Urgot was the support/ad carry combo. Ali did spend much more time in that match supporting the jungler but he came down to bot lane several times to help in Urgot's lane, especially as the game went later. And, it was still the specific support/ad-carry combo that let the strategy be so successful.

Its my theory that the reason that Corki, Kogmaw, Ezreal and to a much lesser extent Miss Fortune were so successful is that they are all champions that do significant magic and physical damage in a lane that is generally considered the physical damage lane thus people build armor. Furthermore, I also think Corki and Kogmaw are so successful because of the true damage and enemy %health scaling damage which are both highly effective in the current meta vs all the bruisers.

Janna is so successful because she's Janna. Her range is amazing and her CC skills are incredible. Her shield is fantastic She's incredibly hard to counter whereas other supports like Taric, Sona, Soraka and Alistair are much easier to counter. She's queen of disruption and a mapwide scaling passive is awesome. (Assuming you have a 300 base ms on your champion, Janna's passive is going to give you 9ms at level 1, which is better than level 2 of Sona's song of celerity aura).

I also think Sona was over-nerfed.

Anyway, I'm glad people find the info useful. I'm toying around with putting it together for the other lanes.

Whitlam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2012

Amazing information.

I've just been getting into AD bot myself and was just about to fire up the replays and get this exact information.

For anyone who wants a simpler look at it, here it is in a spreadsheet. It's sorted in a number of ways, showing %wins and most played champions.

This spreadsheet uses all information provided by Obzidian. All thanks should be directed at him.

Narcindin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

You might want to look at yout ali win % for the totals. I think you did it incorrectly.

FinalValkyrie

03-15-2012

Janna has always been amazing, except that until Sona got kicked in the **** with her nerfs, she was just plain better. Now she is not, so Janna is back to being Queen Support like she was for so long.

ALWAYS. BE. JANNA.