"94% of cases in the tribunal result in punishment"

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerys

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapeurs View Post
Regardless of the insults they are typing, if they are typing that much, they are not paying attention to the map, to cs, to teamfights, or they are just dead all the time so spend their time insulting ppl.
Alright, this is just the worst logic I've ever heard.

So you're saying that me, for example, who can type upwards of 85+ words per minute, and has no problems communicating with my team through chat -AND- paying attention to the map, to cs, teamfights, or whatever... if I type a lot and get a bad score in a game you'd punish me for it?

Sorry for being good at typing. Regardless of the content(because you said it, not me), you're willing to punish someone for something that's completely not punishable because of your skewed perspective on the matter.

And THIS, everyone, is exactly what's wrong with the Tribunal.

Yodle

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerys View Post
Alright, this is just the worst logic I've ever heard.

So you're saying that me, for example, who can type upwards of 85+ words per minute, and has no problems communicating with my team through chat -AND- paying attention to the map, to cs, teamfights, or whatever... if I type a lot and get a bad score in a game you'd punish me for it?

Sorry for being good at typing. Regardless of the content(because you said it, not me), you're willing to punish someone for something that's completely not punishable because of your skewed perspective on the matter.

And THIS, everyone, is exactly what's wrong with the Tribunal.
100% agree.

I type pretty fast myself and usually try to communicate with my team through chat. Also, there's such thing as having a bad game people. If someone is feeding but at least trying to fight and not building random items and intentionally overextending, you can't report someone for going extremely negative. People have bad games, nobody is perfect! Not everyone is going to be perfect 100% of the time. People sometimes make bad choices, you can't report them for making a decision that cost your team the game. However, if they're repeatedly walking into the enemy team (and usually at that point are saying they're doing so intentionally) then yeah you can report them. These tend to be the people who type in caps and curse at everyone. When I see a teammate doing poorly, I don't YELL IN CAPS or curse them out. I may be a bit pissed IRL, but I'll just be like "Hey comon man play smart" or something. And I most certainly won't report them if they're at least trying to do well. (However, if they respond to me by saying "F**K YOU IM FEEDING" it's a different story) :|

SPNaedre

03-14-2012

Haven't enough people been Pendragon'd to stop this anyways? Every single person who starts screaming "I AM INNOCENT, WHY BAN?" gets put into their place nice and fast.

Uber Bonisseur

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kross Kawasaki View Post
Fake numbers of a sick head.
40% of cases are...
"intentionally feeding" of people that fed but not intentionally
+
"verbal abuse" of people who called someone "noob", etc...

lol

True enough.

If people can rage to the point they'll report someone going 0/5/2, they sure will punish it.

SummonerCraft

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2012

I have seen most people who type that much are DEAD.. so they have time to type

IDEA

Maybe summoners who are dead should be unable to spam chat system until they are alive again???

Cerys

03-14-2012

The problem with the Tribunal, from what I see, is that Riot exacerbated the issue of punish spammers by basically telling them it was alright.

That isn't to say that Riot flat out said "Go ahead, just spam punish," but they did do these key things that I see as being wrong:

1. They started the Tribunal in a "testing" phase and directly told the community that the initial people in the Tribunal were going to be the worst case offenders. By doing this, you're basically telling everyone that these are the legitimate bad people that you should be punishing, and that's pretty much all of the cases you're going to get for awhile. Along with that, they never mentioned when the iffy or pardonable cases might enter the system, so it is possible a lot of Tribunal users/abusers got into auto punish mode, got quite a bit of IP for it, and stuck with it.

2. Along with that, when they reported the 94% punishment odds from the Tribunal, they attracted even more punish spammers. Regardless of anecdotal evidence of people stating they tried it and didn't get good amounts of IP, the STATISTICS show that if you just hit punish, according to Riot's report, you will have a 94% chance of being correct.

And, as a tertiary to that, the 94% stat also attracted more people's reports. Are you butthurt about some minor thing someone said, or are you upset that you got stuck with a guy who maybe wasn't as good at the game as you? Report him! According to stats, if they attracted punish spammers, the dude has a 94% chance of being punished if you can convince other people to also report him. Goad him on and be a jerk so he possibly says something out of line and it's almost a sure thing, even.

The Tribunal is alright, it's not a terrible idea(though I don't agree with it), but Riot did a lot of things to make the community worse because of it. Before the Tribunal people reported for obvious stuff, and didn't just report for the hell of it. Now people report for any minor infraction because they want some twisted vengeance against a guy.

Is LoL a better game for it? Maybe it's good to get rid of the legitimately bad people a bit faster, but it's not fun being scared of having a bad game/saying one thing that isn't that big of a deal but could be blown out of proportion and risking being punished for it. No other game does this as far as I know and there is a reason for that.

Absencu

03-14-2012

I would disagree, a lot of the intentional feeding and a bunch of verbal harassments are usually not punished, I also usually get most of my tribunal cases right. For example, I had people who reported for verbal abuse for saying lol noob and Gg noobs. It was quite possibly the stupidest thing I heard. Also intentional feeding, yet the person was calling out mias and making suggestions on what to do. I think I probably only punish about half the people I pardon. Normally I get about 12/15 cases right.

Danny Internets

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCray0n View Post
What the community thinks: ZOMG PERFECT EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE SPAMMING PUNISH FOR FREE IP TRIBUNAL BROKEN RIOT WORST GAMING COMPANY EVER.

What is actually meant: 94% of the people who end up in the Tribunal are there because they deserve to be there.

Seriously. It's getting annoying when people use this quote as justification for saying that everyone just spams "Punish" for free IP.
Anyone who has actually voted in Tribunal knows that the actual rate of cases that merit punishment is nowhere even CLOSE to 94%, yet 94% is the rate at which they are punished.

It doesn't take much brains to know that there's a problem, but apparently it takes more than you've got.

Jalmzy

03-14-2012

if only there were a punish button on the forums!

in other news...
it shows that if you do spam punish you will get 94% correct resulting in ~14/15 correctly guessed cases! WIN!

Danny Internets

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNaedre View Post
Haven't enough people been Pendragon'd to stop this anyways? Every single person who starts screaming "I AM INNOCENT, WHY BAN?" gets put into their place nice and fast.
Right, because it's not like Pendragon cherrypicks the cases where he can shame people who obviously deserved to be banned.

If Riot was confident in their system not producing false positives there would be absolutely no justification to withhold the reasons why people are banned. But they're not, which is why they don't tell people.

12345678 ... 11