16 Tips for Xin: An Informal Guide

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hu4rollz

08-04-2010

Quote:
Assuming a typical 2 tanks in front and 3 ranged in back for both teams, should I try to initiate on the back line?
Yes, unless nobody on your team is going to be able to help you with their back lines. The whole point of initiating is to set up your teammates, so it is important that they are in positions to take advantage. Don't force the issue and charge through their front lines recklessly hoping their dps won't run out of range. When in doubt, patience is usually best. That being said, if you really want to force a fight, you should do whatever you need to do to make that happen.

Quote:
Should I initiate on the tanks?
Very rarely. If you are doing well in the game, and you think you can focus down their tanks pretty quickly, and their dps is keeping their distance, then go for it. If you don't think you can focus down their tanks, but you can take some hits and their dps is keeping a good distance from their tanks, run at their tanks and force their dps to come up to you (at which point you can choose to initiate on them) or their tanks to retreat (since your own dps is supporting you).

Quote:
Should I disregard it all and try to catch as many in my ult?
In general, yes. I think when initiating with Xin, immediately after using E, it is often best to re-position yourself so your ult will hit as many as possible and then run to your main target (who should still be slowed by your E) and use your Q combo on them. Sometimes you have to choose between either ulting a number of tankier heroes or a single soft dps, and I don't have an easy answer for that situation. It just depends on the situation.

I hope that helped... I know I didn't come close to answering your questions in full but initiating is a very complex subject as there are a large number of details that can change what is optimal play.

Akize

08-04-2010

Thanks for responding. I find that after I charge in I basically spam all my abilities since I tend to die pretty quickly. I'll try repositioning myself for a better ult.

Also when a tank is solo, it's hard to tell if he's bait or not when his whole team is missing so I'm pretty wary about initiating on a tank. Even if I just intend to harass a tank, many times my team will dump all their nukes on the tank and get raped in return if it was bait.

xIrish

08-07-2010

Unrelated, but do you play a lot of poker perchance, hu4rollz?

Alonem

08-08-2010

Your reasoning on ghostblade doesnt convince me at all you get insane bursting potential making the enemy carry explode and it has every offensive stat you could want. Also makes you even more impossible to kite (although since you pick flash this might not be necessary). Actually I consider this the only core item on him unless I go for a very tanky approach. And for jungle you start with razor and zerker greaves (yes, seriously) to be an effective jungle. And you don't gank as Xin if you arent very sure your team will get kills or you risk falling behind in gold/xp (i think xin carries pretty hard if necessary).

xrats

08-08-2010

Nice guide but on ranked games xin is permabanned.

rumsey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

I beat xin's playing this style all the time. The way I play seems to out do almost all the other builds, except people playing exactly the same. I solo 95% of the time unless its against vlad, I don't stack armor or HP (though I do rush Phage first) and can beat almost anyone in solo lane (including heimer, teemo, trist, morgana, etc). I go:
e,q,w,w,w,r - then all w/r, then q, then e.
for items:
phage->ninja tabi->phantom dancers is core. after this i go IE if they aren't stacking armor. If a few stack armor then get BC instead. If ALL are stacking armor, forego the IE and BC and get madreds, followed by last whisper. After you finish your IE, BC, or MB... finish Frozen Mallet (this is after your core + one damage item).

Never ever take doran's shield with xin as health crystal vs shield xin I win 99 out of 100 times.

hu4rollz

08-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIrish View Post
Unrelated, but do you play a lot of poker perchance, hu4rollz?
It's been my main source of income for 5 years, although I am now going back to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonem View Post
Your reasoning on ghostblade doesnt convince me at all
I didn't say it was bad, just that I usually prefer my first dps item to have a more consistent attack speed component, and that I usually like to build a defensive item before getting another big attack item. It can be a very good item for him in the right game.

hu4rollz

08-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsey View Post
I beat xin's playing this style all the time. The way I play seems to out do almost all the other builds, except people playing exactly the same. I solo 95% of the time unless its against vlad, I don't stack armor or HP (though I do rush Phage first) and can beat almost anyone in solo lane (including heimer, teemo, trist, morgana, etc). I go:
e,q,w,w,w,r - then all w/r, then q, then e.
for items:
phage->ninja tabi->phantom dancers is core. after this i go IE if they aren't stacking armor. If a few stack armor then get BC instead. If ALL are stacking armor, forego the IE and BC and get madreds, followed by last whisper. After you finish your IE, BC, or MB... finish Frozen Mallet (this is after your core + one damage item).

Never ever take doran's shield with xin as health crystal vs shield xin I win 99 out of 100 times.
Let me quote a post I made earlier in this thread:

"It can definitely work sometimes, especially in lower elos. The primary reasons for this are that worse players have poor spacing allowing you to isolate them, they are too dumb to watch for you and focus you when you make your move, and they don't fight as a team as much (dps builds can be good in small numbers fights)."

I'll add that...
-If you want to go DPS there are far better builds than dual phantom dancers as your first two big items.
-Leveling W emphasizes your auto attacking at the cost of ganking and team fighting ability.
-Your statement about doran's shield is misguided since it is obviously superior to red crystal early on. The advantage to starting with red crystal is that it allows you to make phage or another item sooner.

Detharis

08-15-2010

I started playing a few days back and bough xin after researching almost EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON. Reading this article led me to believe im doing something wrong though.
My typical leveling is R>W>E>Q only because i use my rotation as Q>E>R>W and then it kinda depends from there. Most people usually die because i play a more hit and run style, ive done very well with this against many tank classes that stacked DEF and HP alike. Also it demolishes DPS/Casters, my only problem is CC but its to be expected.

Usually my item lineup starts with Doran's Shield (i dont grab the hp pot because most of my opponents atm suck.) After that im confused as where to go, i get malady if i find myself in 1v2 because the hp gained from E>R>W>Q usually keeps me at max HP making R do max damage. If im not in that situation i usually build to the Phantom Dancer, since, imo, it works well with both the passive, making me a beefy tank, or when im pushing to take out a tower, i have that much more to play with. Then i usually get my upgraded boots, usually i grab Mercury's Treads since CC is a problem. And then from there im at a loss, i sometimes grab phage if im in lategame and i need to gank some casters to support other lanes, but usually i dont know what to grab. I can almost NEVER EVER get to the point where i can actually make Banshee's Viel so i dont even try anymore, i know it helps against CC but i cant farm up the cash to get it.

So, you guys tell me, what am i doing right, what am i doing wrong?

I only really have a problem when outnumbered, but i usually wouldnt engage anyways. The only other issue is slow play at lvl 1-3 till i can actually combo attacks, but thats to be expected.

Also i never eally found out when was the best time to creep, i usually am preoccupied by other champs trying to take out towers or coming in my lane to farm. I mean if im low on cash ill take out just about every camp for that extra, but it doesnt really help at higher levels besides the obvious buffs. Also we never take out Dragon or Worm, most people are too dumb or foreign to understand that the buff is really strong.

Miirshak

08-16-2010

i too could use some help with my Xin build...

atm i go something like:

- Dorians shield + pot
- boots 1 and brutalizer
- boots of swiftness and phage
- yuumo ghostblade and frozen mallet
- IE

once i have the 3 core items, yuumo, frozen mallet and boots, i generally do very well in terms of dmg dealing and survivability... but this only works if my team is worth a ****... and of late, this tends to be a problem :P
So what should i do to make my build even more survivable without gimping dmg output?

1234567 ... 9