16 Tips for Xin: An Informal Guide

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Temlam

08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu4rollz View Post
11. In the early laning phase, due to the low effectiveness of the slow on E and your low attack speed, it can be hard to get a whole Q combo off on people. To help with this, you can activate it early and burn a hit or two on creeps before using E and stunning your opponent. If your opponent runs before you can use your E, this can be an easy way to keep them off the creeps since Q is mana cheap.

E>Q>E>W>E>R>E>Q>E>Q .
I think the reason you have issues getting a q combo off is because you get all of 1 level of w at level 4 and only that by level 10. I personally find his ability to disable quickly in the laning phase is one of his greatest assets and push some levels into w over e and q.

hu4rollz

08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temlam View Post
I think the reason you have issues getting a q combo off is because you get all of 1 level of w at level 4 and only that by level 10. I personally find his ability to disable quickly in the laning phase is one of his greatest assets and push some levels into w over e and q.
I never have problems getting Q off unless I get quickly disabled or I am a very low level against faster opponents. I just threw that tip in there because there are (somewhat rare) times when it can be useful in the early laning phase. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

I think his greatest strength is the power of his E>Q combo, and prioritizing those skills maximizes his killing power. The whacking on people, while nice, isn't the most important thing. The only time I think you can make an argument for W is when you are doing a lot of jungling.

hu4rollz

08-02-2010

Thanks for the mostly positive comments so far.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2010

I get a lot more use out of guides like this than the static item build guides that get written so much.

WFDragon

08-03-2010

I love Xin, and I love him more now that he was nerfed and he's no longer the bandwagon everyone jumps on.

Thanks for posting these tips. Most of them I've already observed myself, but you've given me some extra insight. I'd like to add that as playing a jungle Xin, I can solo Dragon at level 5 at the earliest (6 is safer). With Smite, a Madred's Razor, and a health pot, I can down Dragon after getting lizard and preferrably golem as well. Any extra tips or suggestions involving Jungle Xin?

hu4rollz

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFDragon View Post
Any extra tips or suggestions involving Jungle Xin?
I'm not a fan of the straight bloodrazer build which I've been seeing a lot of lately on Jungle Xin. Its extremely high cost delays defensive items too much, which you need to be really effective unless your team is controlling the game. Hence, I think this build requires too much farm time to really pay off. Xin needs to be near more hero fights mid game where he excels. If you want a hard melee carry who requires lots of farm, I think Yi or Trynd are better heroes for this role, both of who have damage that scales better with items and more survival mechanisms to escape the inevitable focus. But those heroes are also far worse than Xin in team fights early/mid game and ganking. Play to Xin's strengths.

Instead I prefer one of three other options, which I haven't played around with enough yet to know which I like best.

A) Get Razor and recurve, then build a defensive item and boots 2, and then finish Bloodrazor.
B) Get a Razor then recurve, eventually making Lantern. A decent combo with this is Wit's End and Frozen Mallet, as this gives you armor, MR, AS, AD, health, and some utility. A nice balanced dps build.
C) Go for a more "normal" build like Phage+Starks followed by defensive items. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I think Xin's real strength is in team fights and ganking, and if you want to spend a ton of time in the jungle I think there are better hero choices. Besides, he doesn't need Razor to jungle, especially when he has golem and can spam his spells.

I think I favor C but it definitely depends on the game.

D0llSlght

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-03-2010

I really liked ghost blade on xin, I think it works on him really well and it is cost effective if you count the active.
My build order is usually Doran -> Ghostblade -> phage -> banshee/ w/e..........
I prefer R>W>Q>E............I definitly lvl E last....
W and Q are pretty interchangeable, depends on how the game is going or how many cc there are

Machinima

08-03-2010

nice read thanks, i totally didn't think about burning off the first two hits on Q to get the knockup right away. will try that

hu4rollz

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0llSlght View Post
I really liked ghost blade on xin, I think it works on him really well and it is cost effective if you count the active.
Ghostblade is a good item on Xin, but I prefer an item that adds permanent attack speed for my first dps item, and I rarely get another offensive item until after I get at least phage and a defensive item.

Akize

08-03-2010

I have a question about initiating with Xin since I usually find myself in that position the most.

I have a tendency to initiate on the squishy carries / mages in the back (usually whoever has the lowest hp). I will try to catch them out of position if possible, but otherwise I will even initiate on them even if it means running through the tanks / leaving my back line exposed.

Assuming a typical 2 tanks in front and 3 ranged in back for both teams, should I try to initiate on the back line? Should I initiate on the tanks? Should I disregard it all and try to catch as many in my ult?

If I initiate on back hero, usually one of two things happen:

1) The enemy hero is bursted down to 1/4 - 1/3 hp and is either finished off by me or they flash away. The outcome is usually a crapshoot.

2) The enemy team focuses me and I die pretty quick, in which case hopefully my team can finish them off pretty easily. Many times if they focus me it's a trade of me for a few heroes. If there's a competent Zilean / Kayle the odds swing even more in my team's favor.

123456 ... 9